Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 5:37:25 AM EDT
I'll soon have an HK SL8/G36 clone that was modified to accept AR15 mags.  If I get ahold of some preban mags, can I legally replace the followers and floorplates with stuff from magpul, or would doing so make them illegal? Also, are high cap mags with no datestamp and no LEO markings legal because there would be no way to determine the date of manufacture, or will it be assumed those mags are new postban?
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Replacing the followers and floorplates on a pre-ban mag is fine.

As far as your other question. Hicap mags made after 94 are illegal. The law doesn't go into how it needs to be proven. It is true that if you have unmarked mags, it's going to be difficult to show that they are illegal, but you may be in for quite a bit of hassle, and they are illegal. Also beware of other factors that may prove that it is an illegal mag, like a manufacturer that didn't exist before the ban or markings in some odd spot.

Personally, given that it's still not too dificult to obtain preban mags, I don't think it's worth the risk, but I'm paranoid.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
while we are on the question of  mags, Can someone explain the legiality of replacement mag bodies for damaged pre ban mags to me.?      Can I use leo marked mag bodies if they are replacing damaged mags that I already own?      I know this would be hard to explain to an officer that hardly understands the law , but if hauled in as a test case is there a legal precedent?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
while we are on the question of  mags, Can someone explain the legiality of replacement mag bodies for damaged pre ban mags to me.?      Can I use leo marked mag bodies if they are replacing damaged mags that I already own?      I know this would be hard to explain to an officer that hardly understands the law , but if hauled in as a test case is there a legal precedent?

The ATF allowed the repair and rebuilding of preban mags including replacing a damaged mag body as long as you didn't assemble a new additional mag in the process.  It has been over five years since the NY AWB ban was enacted into law and neither the NYSP Legal Division, NYAG or DCJS has ever publicly made any comment as to what is or is not legal in NY as it relates to the NY AWB.

I would strongly suggest that you do not use or posses any LEO marked mags in NY. If you are going to replace a damaged mag body use an unmarked body and crush and retain the old mag body.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks rkbar15,     That is what I though , that atf said ok but I was not sure about what New York State had to say about issue.     At this point I think it would be wise for new york members to accumulate more preban mags while they are easy to find.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
At this point I think it would be wise for new york members to accumulate more preban mags while they are easy to find.

Just a heads up... If you are looking for AR-15 preban mags, email [email protected] !

I picked up ten preban NIW Labelle teflon coated mags about a year ago when he used to sell in the equipment exchange. I emailed him recently looking for more and just received another 6 NIW Labelles.  He sells preban NIW Labelles, Colt and and FN 30 round mags for around $15 each.  You can find other brands for about a dollar cheaper in the EE but these Labelles are worth the extra buck.  They are the nicest preban mags available IMO.   They also come with green followers and are sealed in the factory package.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool, thanks for the heads up!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top