Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2018 1:14:59 AM EDT
I've searched and I don't have a straight answer.  Any law enforcement or lawyer or subject matter expert out there got a sec to answer these for me?

With or without a CCW permit, what is the legality about:

1) carry a loaded rifle in my vehicle.  A 'truck gun' within my reach?  Or in the trunk?

2) carry a switchblade knife on my person?

I have a CCW permit and carry a pistol all the time.  So this is specifically about rifles in the car and knives on my person.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Both legal except for federal property.  The rifle is legal on federal if it's unloaded, but no switch blades.  This includes the post office and their parking lot.

Not sure on school zones.....have to look that up.  If your permit is a MO permit, that helps get you out of the rules.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both legal except for federal property.  The rifle is legal on federal if it's unloaded, but no switch blades.  This includes the post office and their parking lot.

Not sure on school zones.....have to look that up.  If your permit is a MO permit, that helps get you out of the rules.
View Quote
You're just referring to carrying switchblades on fed property, right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You're just referring to carrying switchblades on fed property, right?
View Quote
Right, there's a federal law against switch blades on federal property and indian land unless you have a physical disability from opening a knife.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
With a same-state ccw permit, yes, you're exempt. Without the permit, "not loaded; and in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922#q_2
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

With a same-state ccw permit, yes, you're exempt. Without the permit, "not loaded; and in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922#q_2
View Quote
I'm guessing the guy at Arnold high school that got arrested didn't have a MO permit.  :(
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, Missouri permit.  So I'm ok with having a LOADED rifle, not in a case, within reach, in my vehicle?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
You'd still need to steer clear of certain federal properties (like post office parking lots)...but, yeah, for the most part, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm guessing the guy at Arnold high school that got arrested didn't have a MO permit.  :(
View Quote
I don't remember reading if he did, but I'd have to guess not. :(
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yup, Missouri permit.  So I'm ok with having a LOADED rifle, not in a case, within reach, in my vehicle?
View Quote
You also have to be aware of game laws though. If you're somewhere rural, don't do anything that would be considered *casting a beam of light* into a field or woods where deer may be.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You also have to be aware of game laws though. If you're somewhere rural, don't do anything that would be considered *casting a beam of light* into a field or woods where deer may be.
View Quote
For sure, in Missouri you can even get busted for 'veering' your car's headlights into a field or woods.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which is ridiculous... I have been calling and bitching to reps and MDC regarding their stupid artificial light/night optics/thermal regulations for a long time.

They don't care.

MDC is starting to piss me off. The farm I hunt now has a growing population of large 6-point bucks that I can't do anything about. Asshats.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Guys please, PLEASE, write your representatives regarding the bullshit of:

3 CSR 10-7.410 Hunting Methods - "C) Night Vision and Thermal Imagery Equipment. No person may possess or control night vision or thermal imagery equipment while acting singly or as one (1) of a group of persons while in possession of any firearm, bow, or other implement whereby wildlife could be killed or taken."

MDC is disarming law abiding citizens unilaterally while they are using any sort of modern electro-optics. The regulation is so vague that looking in your backyard with any type of modern electro-optic while armed with ANY weapon is a crime.

It's wrong, and MDC has ignored me on this issue for years.

WRITE THEM!
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Same deal with lasers, since you can't use anything that casts a beam onto the game. You can only use lights for frogs (but not on Conservation land), and for raccoons *if* they're treed with dogs.  Any other night hunting, like for coyotes, you have to rely on light from the moon and stars.  I've asked them if they think it's safer to shoot things in the dark, and the reply was that people would then use lights to poach deer and say they were coyote hunting. That may be true, but poachers are going to poach regardless of the law.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So can I still use NV gear in the frozen turkey aisle at HyVee?
View Quote
Yes, if you're hunting with a wallet rather than a shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can only use lights for frogs (but not on Conservation land)
View Quote
Under the hunting regs it looks like you can.  Perhaps certain conservation lands prohibit but not as a general rule?

3 CSR 10-11.165 Bullfrogs and Green
Frogs
PURPOSE: This rule establishes provisions
for harvesting bullfrogs and green frogs on
department areas.
(1) Bullfrogs and green frogs may be taken
during the statewide season only by hand,
handnet, atlatl, gig, bow, snagging, snaring,
grabbing, pole and line, a twenty-two (.22)
caliber or smaller rimfire rifle or pistol, pellet
gun, or crossbow, only on waters and
within dates and hours those waters are open
to fishing or hunting, except as further
restricted in this chapter. An artificial light
may be used.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Under the hunting regs it looks like you can.  Perhaps certain conservation lands prohibit but not as a general rule?

3 CSR 10-11.165 Bullfrogs and Green
Frogs
PURPOSE: This rule establishes provisions
for harvesting bullfrogs and green frogs on
department areas.
(1) Bullfrogs and green frogs may be taken
during the statewide season only by hand,
handnet, atlatl, gig, bow, snagging, snaring,
grabbing, pole and line, a twenty-two (.22)
caliber or smaller rimfire rifle or pistol, pellet
gun, or crossbow, only on waters and
within dates and hours those waters are open
to fishing or hunting, except as further
restricted in this chapter. An artificial light
may be used.
View Quote
Hmmm. they must have changed it. I haven't hunted them in a long time, so I hadn't seen that.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 2:57:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I sure wish they would loosen regs on nods. I have worn them walking out to my deer stand in the early morning, and itd be rediculous to get in trouble for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top