Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 3:13:27 AM EDT
What world are these guys living in.....Granted this guy bail so he could spend Christmas with his family... Should get at least 10 years ?

BBC link here

Anger over bail given to gun man
A campaigner for victims rights has called for a review into a decision to bail a drug dealer caught with a machine gun.

Damien Sawyers, 25, was convicted this week of possessing four banned firearms including a Skorpion CZ91S capable of firing 750 rounds a minute.

He was also convicted of three counts of possessing heroin and crack cocaine.

Norman Brennan, a director of Victims of Crime Trust, and a serving officer said he was stunned by the decision.

'Disgraceful' decision

The judge in the case at Inner London Crown Court granted Sawyers conditional bail over the Christmas period.

Mr Brennan said: "I personally believe that the Lord Chief Justice should involve himself and review the decision and I would suggest that this judge is retrained.

"This has been such a bad, disgraceful decision to release on bail such a serious criminal on to the streets.

He said the government had kept promising to protect the public against serious criminals.

Sawyers was arrested in February after police raided a property in south London and found heroin and crack with a joint street value of almost £40,000.

He was also convicted of having a shotgun without a certificate and holding prohibited ammunition.

Sawyers will be sentenced on 2 February
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
But why, his firearm offences alone require at least 5 years?

damn liberal judges

Matt
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Sing the song,'' it's the season to be bloody irrisponsible''.

Well that Judge, shouldn't need  retraining, he should be looking for a new job in the new year.

I just hope that Damien doesn't reoffend during the festive season.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Tony

He'll probably do a runner and disappear.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tony

Can you blame him?!? If the system fail's so badly to protect  joe public from such an upstanding member of our society.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tony

Can you blame him?!? If the system fail's so badly to protect  joe public from such an upstanding member of our society.

Tony

I bet he thought all  his Christmas' had come at once  when the judge bailed him......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top