Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 3:41:15 PM EDT
Title says it all basically......    

I've got a bunch of medical problems and can't do what I used to now. (electrician)

In a nutshell, my back and neck are screwed up.   Bunch of problem disks cause me a LOT of pain, along with some other issues.

Been TRYING to work with the doctors here, since I got to AZ, and it's not going anywhere fast.  I'm SICK of being out of work, and a friggen charity case, not to mention I REALLY need to figure out a way to get my own place soon, where I can at least TRY to have some kind of normal schedule again, peace and quiet once in a while, and all that.......  

As I said, I'm an electrician.... Well USED to be back before this shit put me out of work.

I'm not sure what I can do, as far as anything in that field.  I do know that I'll probably never be back to normal, and it's pretty depressing but I'm willing to TRY.....  Not ready to just give up.

Biggest problem is I can't work full time, or even enough hours to support myself with a part-time job.  I'm also new here, as many of you probably know, and don't really know anyone in the area.

If anyone here is or knows of maybe an electrician who could use a part time guy, maybe a couple days a week, for really light work, or even supervising a small job crew or SOMETHING I can still physically do, I'd really like to know/talk to them.  

I'm just sick of the way my life has turned, and I need to do something before I lose my damned mind......  Getting this pain under control is becoming a total clusterfuck. And my mental health aint much better, all things considered.

Anyone out there who could give a guy a few hours of work a week, despite the fact that my health sucks and I have a hard time doing just about anything for longer than a couple hours in a row, right now ?

Looking for serious replies please.....    I've looked through the want ads a zillion times over, and realistically, I could GET the jobs easily, but I just can't keep the hours anyone who has work posted needs....  It wouldn't be fair to them, to get a job and fail, letting them down and putting them on the spot, you know ?

I just know I need to do something........

I can't keep living the way things are right now.  

Thanks,  Appreciate any ideas anyone might have...

John
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#1]
For those of you that don't know, John is one hell of a stand up guy.  He's honest and busts his ass when he can, and he's a damn good worker and a man I am proud to call my friend.  Physical limitations aside, I have zero doubt he'd excell at anything he was given a chance at.

John is good people, and will definately be an asset to anyone!  

He knows his guns, too, so if any of you need a part-time guy for your shop I think he'd do really well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi John,   Don't feel bad about yourself!  Life is wonderful.   I can tell you in my darkest hour I felt worst than you but I came thru & I know you will too!  Think positive!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hi John,   Don't feel bad about yourself!  Life is wonderful.   I can tell you in my darkest hour I felt worst than you but I came thru & I know you will too!  Think positive!

Thanks bud......  The thought's nice, but I really need something to happen soon.

I mean, I'd just about shovel dog shit for an opportunity to get out and do something meaningful for a few hours a week, right now...  Problem is finding something I can do, and hours I can keep, and not be a complete letdown to anyone who'd give me a little work.

Really not liking where my life is at............

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like you should check into working the counter at a gun shop.
This way you are interested in what you do and don't break your back any worse then it already is.

If you just need something to do to kill time you could probably volunteer at a local shooting range.
Go check out Ben Avery, maybe they'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]
John,  If you don't have to worry about money, like paying bills I think volunteer is the way to go.  Right now, the jobs I can find are low pay $7-8.00 an hour I am thinking about going back to college & finish my degree.  Just keep on fighting & never give up!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately, I do have to worry about bills.....  Already falling behind AGAIN, as my car insurance is due and I don't have it all.....

I dont have any income right now, and really need to figure out something....

Not knowing anyone here doesn't help much, since I need fairly flexible hours, whatever I do.   Some days I just feel like absolute shit for no reason.  That's what I mean about being a let down to anyone who might hire me for a regular part-time job.  It wouldn't be very long before I had to call out 'sick' and that sure wont help me KEEP a job, you know ?

Unfortunately, in the real world, there aint many jobs out there that'll just say "come in whenever you feel well enough".... We all know that's not realistic, hence my dilemma.......

I just know that I need to do something......  What that IS, is the stumbling block.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
are you on disability at this time? Have you applied for it?

Dan
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
are you on disability at this time? Have you applied for it?

Dan

Applied yes, ON... no....  It's going to take a while when/if they approve it, I guess.  

I put in the application and have been through the first denial/appeal.  I REALLY don't like the idea of having to BE on disability at all......

I was told by most of the doctors back home, before I got here, that I should apply, since they couldn't say with any certainty that I'll be able to get fixed up enough.  

I'm not willing to swallow that just yet, but I've been out of work almost two years now, short of some small side jobs I did back home when I was able.  Lost my real job in Feb. of 2004, and have only been able to do small things since.  

Right now, I'm trying to get up to speed with my options, as far as what CAN be done to alleviate enough of my pain so I'll be able to work some kind of substantial job again.   I haven't heard a whole lot of optimism from the doctors I have seen here yet, but I'm not gonna just lay down and die.  Fuck that.... I want to friggen work and have a goddamned life again.

I'm sick and tired of where I'm at, physically AND mentally.  I figure there's gotta be SOMEONE out there that can use an extra hand a few hours a week, even if it isn't any regular schedule,  you know ?  If I could realistically just volunteer for 'something to do' that would be great.  Wouldn't be the first time in my life I have, so I'd definitely have options to explore, but the reality is I still have bills to pay, and that needs to be resolved.  At the absolute minimum, I need to keep my car insurance paid, and have a little cash for gas and such so I can GET to the doctors, grocery store, etc etc......

I'm not totally useless........  Starting to feel that way, but I'm not willing to accept that so easily.

Even IF I do ultimately end up on friggen disability, which is FAR from where I want to be at 36 years old, I know me, and I just wont be able to sit around without something to do every day.  I need to work somehow......

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Appointment setting sounds like a good option.  Basically, you would call up people who are dumb enough to put their names and numbers in raffle boxes for free trips.  Then you call them up and try to  book them an appointment to go listen to a timeshare pitch.

There is a company called Pro Marketing in Tempe that I used to work with.  Maybe they could work something out so you could work at home.  All you need is to be dependable and good on the phone.  If Pro Marketing didn't work out, there are a million other companies out there like them.....

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Also, any indirect cell phone store in town would take you as a part time outside sales rep.  You could work your own hours and determine your own pay based on the amount of discount you would give.  You could make anywhere from $25-$100 for every phone you sell.

Unfortunately, I think sales might be your only option.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey John,
       If you like to put some barrels in a cnc machine and keep it feed with mat. I mite have something for you .. call me Joe at JPS manufacturing..480-367-9540..
good luck
 jps
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey John,
       If you like to put some barrels in a cnc machine and keep it feed with mat. I mite have something for you .. call me Joe at JPS manufacturing..480-367-9540..
good luck
 jps

Hey, thanks !  I've started doing a little work for Double_Wielder in the evenings, doing electrical repair/maintenence in a building he manages last week...  I guess it depends on how much work he has, or I can physically DO for him, as to how busy he'll keep me, but I DO appreciate the offer !

I will definitely keep it in mind, if things don't pan out (not enough work, or stuff I can actually do) with him for some reason...  It's sure a good feeling though, to be useful again, in some capacity.

Thanks a bunch...  

John  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
John,   Man, I know you come thru!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
John,   Man, I know you come thru!

I'm trying....    Lord knows I never really feel 'good' anymore and I sure keep getting kicked in the nuts with shitty news from my doctors, every g-damned time I turn around lately  Pretty depressing and certainly isn't making my prospects for the future look very bright.

But I'm trying.....

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hey John,
good luck
 jps

Sorry for off topic.

We have a barrel manufacturer in the east valley? That's good news. Are you doing in house rifling or starting with blanks?  

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
John If i may speak,

Can ou pass a cdl written test and a drivin test,

It is the easest money i have ever made.

I went from a 15 hr job which i hated of 10 years to making about 1k a day i work when i want as much as i want wake up when i want and i am the boss.

The only real phisical labour you do is tie down the loads and untie the loads i only do that every three to 4 days who cares if it takes all day you do not need to be in a hurry This is if you have your own truck, Hell look into driving gravel truck or Long haul there is excelent money in it,

This is something to look into, Maybe it can help but only you will know the anwer to it.

Superfly        
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
John If i may speak,

Can ou pass a cdl written test and a drivin test,

It is the easest money i have ever made.

I went from a 15 hr job which i hated of 10 years to making about 1k a day i work when i want as much as i want wake up when i want and i am the boss.

The only real phisical labour you do is tie down the loads and untie the loads i only do that every three to 4 days who cares if it takes all day you do not need to be in a hurry This is if you have your own truck, Hell look into driving gravel truck or Long haul there is excelent money in it,

This is something to look into, Maybe it can help but only you will know the anwer to it.

Superfly        

Pretty much not even possible.   I can't even sit here staring at the damn screen for more than 3-4 hours in a row, on a good day.    Forget tossing chains and tiedown straps around.  Long distance driving hurts bad.

Really appreciate the thought tho....  Thanks a lot bud.

JB

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top