Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 7:00:16 PM EDT
Okay, so I am looking to learn how to operate a commercial truck (18 wheeler). I have ZERO experience with them and have never driven a manual transmission (I have a motorcycle, but dont count that as the same). So does anyone know what I can go, somewhere near the metro area, that can teach me EVERYTHING? I dont claim to know a lot about trucks, because I dont know anything, and I want to change that. So, any ideas? A lot of schools say they can train if you already know how to drive a manual transmission, but I would rather go somewhere that works from the bare basics to the most important aspects. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to find a friend or relative that has a vehicle with a manual transmission and work on the basic principal.

The clutch on your bike operates on the principal as a big truck but you still to get a feel for it before you enroll in a school.

TD

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
They have a class at Chattahoochee Tech here in Acworth ....I've driven tractors, and owned a few 5 speeds....my brother drove a rig before he went back in the Marines..I don't know if I could do it..its tuff
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Okay, so I am looking to learn how to operate a commercial truck (18 wheeler). I have ZERO experience with them and have never driven a manual transmission (I have a motorcycle, but dont count that as the same). So does anyone know what I can go, somewhere near the metro area, that can teach me EVERYTHING? I dont claim to know a lot about trucks, because I dont know anything, and I want to change that. So, any ideas? A lot of schools say they can train if you already know how to drive a manual transmission, but I would rather go somewhere that works from the bare basics to the most important aspects. Thanks!

STOP WATCHING ICE ROAD TRUCKERS!!!!! The hot blonde chick only exists on TV!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

STOP WATCHING ICE ROAD TRUCKERS!!!!! The hot blonde chick only exists on TV!!!!

whoa now, thats called a benefit of the job. You have to work for that
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Well if you want to do this in steps I have suggestion.

Go to the local school system and get hired as a bus driver. They'll teach you how to drive a bus and pay and train you for your class B CDL. Once you have that and some practice find a dump and a trailer to borrow and take the test to get your class A.

Better than paying somebody in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Go to the local school system and get hired as a bus driver. They'll teach you how to drive a bus and pay and train you for your class B CDL. Once you have that and some practice find a dump and a trailer to borrow and take the test to get your class A.

I am all for this also, just has to be a very specific rule in place. Hunter is not allowed to drive any route which will allow him to pick up anyone of HS age. Also there will be no wearing of a metrosexual blazer on said route........

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am all for this also, just has to be a very specific rule in place. Hunter is not allowed to drive any route which will allow him to pick up anyone of HS age. Also there will be no wearing of a metrosexual blazer on said route........

okay.... I get the impression there is a story here.... SPILL
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay.... I get the impression there is a story here.... SPILL

haha the story is too long for this. I dont even know if it a story, more of a bunch or random events that end up not going my way haha. No point for me to argue, I will never win
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top