Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 4:01:41 PM EDT
I'm sitting here with a San Miguel lager and the supplier is a minute walk away.   Mrs. Different and I have received our CT carry permits.  I celebrated by buying myself a real man's pistola this evening.  After consulting with two pistol/CCW gurus, I went with a Kimber .45 ACP 1911 style Custom TLE II, no rail, all black.  I like the grip, the checkering, the trigger, the sights, and the safeties.  It looks to be no nonsense and all business but with refinement if you can assign personality to a firearm.   I also picked up some practice ammo and a holster.  I need to get a leather IWB model but the Fobus paddle will do for the interim.  I also got a holster for Mrs. Different per her request.

I really liked the Kimber Desert Warrior but it has no checkering on the front sight of the grip.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!!!!  No RAIL!!! :)  I liked my Kimber Pro Shadow that I had, but it was too light for me and gave me a really nasty flinching habit (4" aluminum frame, new to shooting).

For a leather IWB holster, I got one of the Desantis Cozy partners from Hoffmans, $35 or $40 IIRC.  Fits nicely, but just watch the thumb safety to see if the sweat guard will knock it off safe, if it does, you may have to trim the holster.  I have several, one for my SA 1911, one for the 226ST and one for the 239.  They tend to stick at first, but keep drawing and they will get nice and smooth once your gun wears the rough leather smoother.  I want to get a VM-2, but don't have the money yet :(  Cozy partners are nice for full size guns, and I use a Desantis Pro Stealth IIRC for my glock 26 and sig 239.  Nylon IWB, reversible belt clip, very tight/stiff belt clip, and will hold an extra mag in front of the holster.  Very low riding, too.  Dunno if they have it for 1911's, though.  Its nice for smaller/lighter guns, but I don't know how it would be with a full size 1911.  

We gotta get togther and go shooting again some time!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the suggestions on the holsters, Taz.  Yes, we need to get to the range.  We'll share some of Mrs. Different's cuisine too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, yeah, did you get the standard sights or night sights?  I was at hoffmans today, they looked like they didn't have much!  Even their used gun shelves were getting empty, which is unusual for them.  They only had 1 SA 1911 there, but they still have that sweet Colt series 70 repro for $900.  Even their Kimber selection was less than usual.  I think they are waiting for some shipments to come in for 2006.

I also checked out the SA scouts.  Definelty going for a LRB tanker!!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I got the night sights on the Kimber.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice, i still gotta figure out which ones im going to use for my SA build...either heinie slant pro night sights or Novaks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Those Desantis holsters are wonderful.  I have one for my Para Ordnance P13-45 which is my "Fall-Winter" carry weapon.  Sweaters help hide a plethora of issues including that hog-leg and my "winter" excess weight LOL..  In the Spring/Summer, I tend to carry a Keltec in my pants pocket.  Better have something rather than nothing is my philosophy, even though it's a small caliber.  The Desantis really hugs the weapon nicely and I've even removed the thumb snap.

I've also added a "ghost ring" sight to my Para.  My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and a ghost ring with a blaze front blade make tarket aquisition instantaneous, at least for me.  I had Enterprise Arms put it on for me for cheap.  It's not a sight for those who want to target shoot but for center-mass, you can't go wrong with it.  

Thank goodness CT is still a state where obtaining a ccw permit isn't a overwhelming process.  I suspect that sometime in the future, however, it won't be so "easy".

Good for you!

Rome
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Rome!  I pick up my IWB holster tomorrow.  I got a Comp-Tac Gurkha Slider.  We'll be testing the new Kimber Custom TLE II .45 ACP on Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Any of you guys going to the Lyceum Conference Center on Wednesday ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Steve, normally I would leave work early enough to attend but the big boss is in town from Atlanta tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday.  I'll be expected at work Wednesday afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:45:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, can't :(  I coach a college track team in the afternoons :(
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats, I bet life is good..Nice carry pistola.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top