Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 9:39:33 AM EDT
I haven't been able to find anything on this, online.  But the guy at Discount (working at the counter) told me that you need to be able to shoot left hand and right hand, in order to qualify.

Is this true?  I tried the faq, but couldn't find anything.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the instructor. On some instances I have been required to shoot right and left handed, on some not.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
What... there's no standardized test?  All due respect:  I find that hard to believe.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The actual test is not codified anywhere, so standard are up the Sheriff. As far as I know, I've never seen them published.  The state only has this to say on the matter:

NRS 202.3657  Application for permit; eligibility; denial or revocation of permit.

1.  Any person who is a resident of this State may apply to the sheriff of the county in which he resides for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the Department. Any person who is not a resident of this State may apply to the sheriff of any county in this State for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the Department. Application forms for permits must be furnished by the sheriff of each county upon request.

2.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, the sheriff shall issue a permit for revolvers, one or more specific semiautomatic firearms, or for revolvers and one or more specific semiautomatic firearms, as applicable, to any person who is qualified to possess the firearm or firearms to which the application pertains under state and federal law, who submits an application in accordance with the provisions of this section and who:

(a) Is 21 years of age or older;

(b) Is not prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to NRS 202.360; and

(c) Demonstrates competence with revolvers, each specific semiautomatic firearm to which the application pertains, or revolvers and each such semiautomatic firearm, as applicable, by presenting a certificate or other documentation to the sheriff which shows that he:

(1) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State; or

(2) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety offered by a federal, state or local law enforcement agency, community college, university or national organization that certifies instructors in firearm safety.

Ê Such a course must include instruction in the use of revolvers, each semiautomatic firearm to which the application pertains, or revolvers and each such semiautomatic firearm and in the laws of this State relating to the use of a firearm. A sheriff may not approve a course in firearm safety pursuant to subparagraph (1) unless he determines that the course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association or, if the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association ceases to exist, its legal successor.

There's more to the statute but that's the relevant bit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I had to qualify with both hands and it was from only 3 yards, if you cannot hit the target at 3 yards with your weak hand then might want to consider not carrying.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#5]
But I only have one arm
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
American shooters - both hands from 3,5,7 if I remember correctly. Good class-quick class for those who don't need to spend all day there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
You should see me try and through a rock with my left hand, And someone wants me to shoot with it! I'm so right sided that my right boot wears out faster than my left!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Take Joe's (ishoot2live) class.  He'll teach you what you need to know.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
American shooters - both hands from 3,5,7 if I remember correctly. Good class-quick class for those who don't need to spend all day there.

You've must have taken their "Private Class".
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I am an Instructor! As a matter of fact, I'm even an Appointed Pistol Coach!

But if I tried to wipe my ass with my left hand, it would be a disaster!

Trust me, I've broken my right hand a few times

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What... there's no standardized test?  All due respect:  I find that hard to believe.
The Nevada Chiefs' and Sheriffs' Association has a standardized minimum requirement. You can see it here , in section IV.

Instructors may make the requirement more difficult, but not less difficult.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a huge problem with instructors who won't qualify a person who can shoot the standard qualification, but who can't manage what the instructor personally believes OUGHT to be the minimum.
No different than a sheriff deciding that the statutory qualifications are too lenient, and denying people. Both are wrongful, IMO, the instructor probably more so since the (hypothetical) sheriff is at least an elected official.
The minimum is awfully easy, but I wouldn't give my money to an instructor who required more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL, no it was the regular class "code min" (I wouldn't shell out dough for a private class).
I just mean that if you want to get in and out with the minimum class time and minimum qualifications, American shooters provides it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#14]
That's where I went and I was in and out in an hour. Don't think the instructor is there anymore but could be wrong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Enlighten us with the name of this so-called instructor, please.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's where I went and I was in and out in an hour. Don't think the instructor is there anymore but could be wrong.

Do you mean you did a weapons qualification in an hour or a full-on CCW class?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you are an instructor, then im sure you are more than competent left handed with your firearm.  Just do whatever you instruct your students to do when you teach them left handed shooting, coach.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a huge problem with instructors who won't qualify a person who can shoot the standard qualification, but who can't manage what the instructor personally believes OUGHT to be the minimum.
No different than a sheriff deciding that the statutory qualifications are too lenient, and denying people. Both are wrongful, IMO, the instructor probably more so since the (hypothetical) sheriff is at least an elected official.
The minimum is awfully easy, but I wouldn't give my money to an instructor who required more.

The Sheriff is a politician and bound by laws. He is also protected by laws.

The instructor is not protected by the govt. limits for lawsuits. He is an open door, should something bad happen. An instructor is the one saying your are competent enough to pass the test. He is the one putting his butt on the line. It is more than just shooting, but making sure you understand the legal requirements. Is it wrong then for instructors to offer a 2 day class, or 3 day class, which is beyond the minimum?

Let's say you sent your kid to a driving school, so he could get the required hours for instruction. Now, the school required your kid to have 10% more hours and pass the mock DMV tests at 90%. Would you be complaining about your kid being able to meet the min., but not being able to satisfy the instructor's requirements?

As a LE instructor, I will always make my guys qualify at a higher percentage than what is required. That is how I work. They don't like it? Well, learn how to shoot and come back and we'll talk about it Of course, I will help fix the problems so they can meet my standard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I find it a PITA to jump through all the qual hoops just to add a weapon.  I'd rather just waltz in and out than shoot it left handed or standing on my head.  I understand why this is necessary for those that don't practice, but like most people on this board, I shoot the hell out of my carry weapons.  Before I carry anything "new" it would get a lot of range time first.

Just me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you are an instructor, then im sure you are more than competent left handed with your firearm.  Just do whatever you instruct your students to do when you teach them left handed shooting, coach.

First, you have to find out if they shoot left or right handed, then work with them to make them more accurate.

Coaches don't teach the Commando jumping over cars, rolling in the dirt, and spitting rocks at 1500fps because they done a mag dump and ran out of ammo! Thats Joe's job.

I teach them to hit the 10 spot consistantly.

And I'm sure that if it came right down to it, I guess I could shoot with my, um, Toes, yeah Toes, if i had to

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Toes??

That is a terrible technique. Their is the shoe lace technique. You can then use a belt loop as the anchor in your shoe lace loop. If there is no belt loop, the penis technique is more than adequate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/div
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I find it a PITA to jump through all the qual hoops just to add a weapon.  I'd rather just waltz in and out than shoot it left handed or standing on my head.  I understand why this is necessary for those that don't practice, but like most people on this board, I shoot the hell out of my carry weapons.  Before I carry anything "new" it would get a lot of range time first.

Just me.

No kidding
Although according to some we are fools because we dont want to sit in a 2 day class

I am no super ninja. But I shoot quite a bit. On a bad month I shoot 200 rounds through a pistol very similar to my carry piece, during the summer it is closer to 500+ all of which is in IPSC or steel matches and personal practice(and I mean practice not plinking)

Add all this to my rimfire and rifle and it adds up pretty quick.

The joke is that we even have to have permits but that is a whole other argument

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a full-on CCW Class.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a full-on CCW Class.

yeah, well I was stretching "code requirement" a little not to start any crap for them, lol. It was maybe 5hrs total with breaks while watching a nifty 80's video on the legal realities of shooting somone even if they earned it.   1hr is just down right not responsible
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, you have to find out if they shoot left or right handed, then work with them to make them more accurate.

Coaches don't teach the Commando jumping over cars, rolling in the dirt, and spitting rocks at 1500fps because they done a mag dump and ran out of ammo! Thats Joe's job.

And I'm sure that if it came right down to it, I guess I could shoot with my, um, Toes, yeah Toes, if i had to

I can shoot with my left toes, but not the right ones.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can shoot with my left toes, but not the right ones.....

After looking over my shoulder and reading this thread, my girlfriend just infomed me that she has a 5lb trigger pull with her "left" ...

Being a Coach and Instructor, Its my duty to fine tune her abilitys in the art of breathing technics,  squeasing the trigger, and hitting the 10 spot
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Toes??

That is a terrible technique. Their is the shoe lace technique. You can then use a belt loop as the anchor in your shoe lace loop. If there is no belt loop, the penis technique is more than adequate.

Kind of gives new meaning to "going off half cocked".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top