Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 10:04:27 AM EDT
For all you N. of the border, here's your last chance at this deal.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Need Scollins in here to clarify what all we would need to do (he seems to be the expert).

Who needs to sign paperwork?
How much is the transfer?
How long does it take for the Feds to say ok?

If you are an LLC.

If you are NOT an LLC.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Need Scollins in here to clarify what all we would need to do (he seems to be the expert).

I wouldn't go that far.  DH knows as much, if not far more than I do....

Who needs to sign paperwork?
How much is the transfer?
How long does it take for the Feds to say ok?

If you are an LLC.

If you are NOT an LLC.

Here is the cost breakdown for this particular deal (with some assumptions.)
Can - $250
Shipping - $30
Transfer fee - $100
NFA tax - $200
Total = $580.

Not bad.  My HALO was $845 total.

That is one hell of a deal, but here is the problem:  He is in Oregon.  The Suppressors will come to the OR dealer on a Form 3 (no tax due.)  He can then ship them to a WA state dealer, also on a Form 3 (still no tax due.)  That dealer can then sell them to YOU on a form 4 ($200 tax due.)  The trick is going to be finding a dealer willing to handle the transfer for you.  Some won't do it this way, some will.  A dealer may say they'll order the can directly for you, but it won't be for $250.  Others will handle it like an internet gun sale.  Either way, you are probably looking at $75 to $100 as a "fee" to the WA state dealer to process the transfer.  That seems to be going "fair" rate.  I don't know what Wade's would charge, or if they would even do it.  Keep in mind a C3 license just to deal in NFA stuff is $1,000 a year, not including FFL fees!

So let's pretend that you do find a dealer willing to handle the transfer.  It is probably going to be a few months before that dealer even gets the can.  The NFA branch recently moved to West VA, and while transfer times have been improving, it will still take 2 months (likely) for the suppressor to transfer from the manufacturer to the OR dealer.  Then another 2 months from the OR dealer to the WA dealer.  Then it will be 3 months or so from the dealer to you (corp transfer) or 5 to 6 months for an individual.  So you are looking at 7 to 10 months before it comes in.  One thing about NFA stuff, is that it never pays to be in a hurry.  A lot of transfer times and information has been compiled by the M-16 forum here:  www.cornbread.com/~gig/docs/transfers.xls

So, let's say that is OK with you, you've got your dealer lined up, now what?  Well, if you want to go for an individual transfer, you'll need to get a CLEO signoff on your form 4.  If they'll sign it, that could take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks.  You will also need to submit a passport photo as well as a set of fingerprints on an FBI card.  

If they won't sign it, your only option is to go corporate or trust.  You can form an LLC, S Corp, C Corp, non-profit or a trust.  I don't know the details of the trust route, so don't ask me.  I just know that they take the same amount of time as a corporate transfer, with the same informational requirements.  Forming a corp in WA is very simple.  Just go to the SecState website and follow the links to "Corporations."  If you do go the corporate route, you will not have to get CLEO signoff, submit a photo nor fingerprints.  The transfers also tend be quicker.  If you plan on getting more than one or two NFA items, I highly suggest a corporation or trust.  I formed a non-profit, since it was the cheapest route.  Also, none of the NFA items allowed in WA state appreciate in value, so if the corporation ever has to sell the assets, there won't be any profit issues to worry about.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top