Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 8:07:33 AM EDT
I have an antelope hunt comming up and this year I have decided to try something different.  Instead  of trying to sneak up on the little suckers, this time I am going to use the AT&T strategy and "reach out and touch" a goat from a far away as possible....say 500 or 600 yards.

Armed only with a Pentax spotting scope, a Bushnell yardage pro range finder, a Chevy p/u and my M1A, I shall attempt to slay the beast at 3/10th of a mile or more.

Enuff of the fluff...I have not taken my M1A hunting before due to the fact it is so pretty,SO I purchased a new stock, and am quite pleased with it.
How much was this little venture you ask?

"New" synthetic millitary stock from Freds.....$35
3 cans krylon flat paint from Ace Hardware.....$9
Long distance GOATSLAYER that can take a beating...Priceless

(here is a few pics)

"G"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#1]
VERY nice! Did you clear coat it after?  I noticed that with one that i rattle canned, it smelled like paint, and in some parts, was sticky.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
thats a awsome setup you have there. Im sure youll have no problem slaying one of those goofy basterds.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I did this yesterday, paint was dry in less than 10 min, this morning is still has a very faint smell to it but at the rate it is dissapating it should be smell free by tonight or in the morning.  No clear coat, this a beater stock and touch up is a matter of shaking a paint can.

I am quite surprise how good the paint sticks....when I recieved the stock from Freds it had storage "muck" on it, so I rinsed the stock with a can of brake cleaner and then wiped it down with a paper towel and laquer thinner, then paint.
About 30 min after painting I attempted scratching the paint w/ a fingernail to see how it was going to hold up, all it did was kind of shine it up a bit but no color came off.

I have a beautiful walnut stock for dress-up, so this is a fun project more or less.
We will see how it holds up to a few cleanings and a desert hunt, I must say that packing a gun around for a week in Nevadas fine terrain on a hunt is real hard on furniture so we will see what happens.

Hopefully, in about a month I will have a nice animal to post here too!

Thanks, "G".
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
What area do you have?
M
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Go get one of those striped basterds !!!!!!!!!!!  I never did.  I like the "Reach out and touch" approach.   I hate  hunting them and chukar.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]
131, 145, 163, 164, 221.....place called duckwater west of Ely.  I have hunted there a few times but always by Green Springs, I think I am going to try a little west this time.
"G"
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Antelope are VICIOUS animals and will charge with only minor provocation inflicting grievious bodily harm......
YOU CAN SEE IT IN THEIR EYES!

MONSTERS!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top