Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 8:07:33 AM EDT
I have an antelope hunt comming up and this year I have decided to try something different. Instead of trying to sneak up on the little suckers, this time I am going to use the AT&T strategy and "reach out and touch" a goat from a far away as possible....say 500 or 600 yards.

Armed only with a Pentax spotting scope, a Bushnell yardage pro range finder, a Chevy p/u and my M1A, I shall attempt to slay the beast at 3/10th of a mile or more.

Enuff of the fluff...I have not taken my M1A hunting before due to the fact it is so pretty,SO I purchased a new stock, and am quite pleased with it.
How much was this little venture you ask?

"New" synthetic millitary stock from Freds.....$35
3 cans krylon flat paint from Ace Hardware.....$9
Long distance GOATSLAYER that can take a beating...Priceless

(here is a few pics)

"G"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:48:47 AM EDT
VERY nice! Did you clear coat it after? I noticed that with one that i rattle canned, it smelled like paint, and in some parts, was sticky.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:17:08 AM EDT
thats a awsome setup you have there. Im sure youll have no problem slaying one of those goofy basterds.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:31:01 AM EDT
I did this yesterday, paint was dry in less than 10 min, this morning is still has a very faint smell to it but at the rate it is dissapating it should be smell free by tonight or in the morning. No clear coat, this a beater stock and touch up is a matter of shaking a paint can.

I am quite surprise how good the paint sticks....when I recieved the stock from Freds it had storage "muck" on it, so I rinsed the stock with a can of brake cleaner and then wiped it down with a paper towel and laquer thinner, then paint.
About 30 min after painting I attempted scratching the paint w/ a fingernail to see how it was going to hold up, all it did was kind of shine it up a bit but no color came off.

I have a beautiful walnut stock for dress-up, so this is a fun project more or less.
We will see how it holds up to a few cleanings and a desert hunt, I must say that packing a gun around for a week in Nevadas fine terrain on a hunt is real hard on furniture so we will see what happens.

Hopefully, in about a month I will have a nice animal to post here too!

Thanks, "G".
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:02:30 PM EDT
What area do you have?
M
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:49:34 AM EDT
Go get one of those striped basterds !!!!!!!!!!! I never did. I like the "Reach out and touch" approach. I hate hunting them and chukar.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:42:56 AM EDT
131, 145, 163, 164, 221.....place called duckwater west of Ely. I have hunted there a few times but always by Green Springs, I think I am going to try a little west this time.
"G"
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:24:56 AM EDT
Antelope are VICIOUS animals and will charge with only minor provocation inflicting grievious bodily harm......
YOU CAN SEE IT IN THEIR EYES!

MONSTERS!

Top Top