Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 1:14:18 PM EDT
Topic says it all. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not in the KC area but I have a battery powered dremel I could bring with me on my next trip down. What do you need done?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm wanting to have the twist rate accurately measured on one of my rifles and maybe a re-crowning. Dremels do all that, right?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the best places in the Kansas City Metro area is AJ Gun Smithing in Raytown, Mo. Albert and Joe are both master gunsmiths. Have a lot of knowledge, skill and customers. Small shop in front but they have some nice equipment in back.

816-358-5225

6528 Raytown Rd Suite E , Raytown, MO 64133

Hours
Tues     9:00am - 5:00pm
Wed    9:00am - 5:00pm
Thurs    9:00am - 5:00pm
Fri        9:00am - 5:00pm
Sat       10:00am - 4:00pm

Tell them Sam with CJL told you to check them out.

There not your Hey I can do that in my basement, because I saw it on youtube type of guys.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
From the interwebs:

Sinclair’s Simple Twist Rate Measurement Method
If are unsure of the twist rate of the barrel, you can measure it yourself in a couple of minutes. You need a good cleaning rod with a rotating handle and a jag with a fairly tight fitting patch. Utilize a rod guide if you are accessing the barrel through the breech or a muzzle guide if you are going to come in from the muzzle end. Make sure the rod rotates freely in the handle under load. Start the patch into the barrel for a few inches and then stop. Put a piece of tape at the back of the rod by the handle (like a flag) or mark the rod in some way. Measure how much of the rod is still protruding from the rod guide. You can either measure from the rod guide or muzzle guide back to the flag or to a spot on the handle. Next, continue to push the rod in until the mark or tape flag has made one complete revolution. Re-measure the amount of rod that is left sticking out of the barrel. Use the same reference marks as you did on the first measurement. Next, subtract this measurement from the first measurement. This number is the twist rate. For example, if the rod has 24 inches remaining at the start and 16 inches remain after making one revolution, you have 8 inches of travel, thus a 1:8 twist barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
GAP North a couple miles of the federal court house. http://www.gaprecision.net/
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the recommendations!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top