Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 6:26:26 PM EDT
So I know that switchblades will be legal for carry after 1 Sept, anyone know if throwing knives will be legal for carry as well? I have a knife I would like to carry in a sheath but it is a throwing knife, so I'm not sure if that will be legal. I know currently it is not.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, still won't be legal.  Throwing knives are listed under the illegal knives category.
You can theoretically carry it if you have a CHL and are carrying the listed pistol type under your CHL, but we know how that goes with Matefrio's adventure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, still won't be legal.  Throwing knives are listed under the illegal knives category.
You can theoretically carry it if you have a CHL and are carrying the listed pistol type under your CHL, but we know how that goes with Matefrio's adventure.
View Quote

What is the short version of that incident? I tried to follow it but I've been on and off due to work.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Read the sticky at top of forum. Title" I didn't beat the ride"
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I know that switchblades will be legal for carry after 1 Sept, anyone know if throwing knives will be legal for carry as well? I have a knife I would like to carry in a sheath but it is a throwing knife, so I'm not sure if that will be legal. I know currently it is not.
View Quote

Not necessarily.  Some switchblades are also "illegal knives":

Sec. 46.01.  DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(6)  "Illegal knife" means a:
(A)  knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B)  hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C)  dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D)  bowie knife;
(E)  sword; or
(F)  spear.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Completely different category of knife.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, throwing knives will *not* be legal for carry in public.

Sec. 46.01.  DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(6)  "Illegal knife" means a:
(A)  knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B)  hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C)  dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D)  bowie knife;
(E)  sword; or
(F)  spear.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Now as someone above stated can I carry a throwing knife/ 'illegal knife' while I have my ccw and CHL?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now as someone above stated can I carry a throwing knife/ 'illegal knife' while I have my ccw and CHL?
View Quote

A reading of the law says yes.  However, practically it is a gray area.  A member here was arrested for something similar.  It cost him a couple of grand to get it dismissed.  Several DPS Troopers talked about it before arresting him.  Personally, I would not try to carry an illegal knife.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you rich enough to fight your case all the way to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals?  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you rich enough to fight your case all the way to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have TLS. Ill give them a call and ask, and see if they defend that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll save you some time, nope they are gun only..  I still carry them though.  Cheep protection against the minority of officers that can and will ignore the law.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:36:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked this very question at the Instructor training class TLS held last month.  Their answer was the one I gave.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I asked this very question at the Instructor training class TLS held last month.  Their answer was the one I gave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just signed up for TLS last weekend when I took my CHL renewal class.  The question was asked by someone in the class and answered by the (non lawyer) spokesperson for TLS...  Knives, no bueno.  Firearms related cases only.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just signed up for TLS last weekend when I took my CHL renewal class.  The question was asked by someone in the class and answered by the (non lawyer) spokesperson for TLS...  Knives, no bueno.  Firearms related cases only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will defend you...for a fee  :)

TLS says the carry of illegal knives with your CHL is a gray area, and specifically referenced the case of the member here from the Capital Building.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

TLS says the carry of illegal knives with your CHL is a gray area, and specifically referenced the case of the member here from the Capital Building.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's good, I kept them up to date with the case for this reason.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't name you, and were as vague as possible.  ;)
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I said, all's good.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top