Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2011 10:33:56 AM EDT
Hey all, do any of you have experience with the midges in Klamath Falls?

We're going on vacation there in august and somebody brought this up.  What I'm reading online is that they black out the sun with their flying orgies.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You talking about the swirly gnats? The ones tht look like an insect tornado?
Nothin I MEAN nothing like the clouds of vampire bats you guys get.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]
i spend time at a ranch on 140 towards medford that is right on the lake.
the midges are loud if you are in a quite area which i like to listen
to them and find it amazing just how loud they are but they don't bother me.
at least they don't bite
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
They can get pretty bad around the lake. I have had to pull off hwy 97 due to not being able to see through the green guts on the winshield.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to live down there for a few years. They can get really bad around the lake. I've had to pull over several times during a single trip by the lake to scrape their guts off the windshield before. It was litterly like driving during a white out. I also stayed at a friend's duplex next to the lake while I was looking for a place to rent. There was a mini-market right across the street. After my first night there I got up the next morning and walked over to the store. the owner was there using a snow shovel under the bug lamp he had. I mentioned to him that if he did that more ofter he wouldn't need a snow shovel. His reply was that it was only one night's worth. Later that night I checked it out. It sounded like a continuously running Vandegraph Generator.

Now having said that.... this is not the usual case, but sometimes they really do get thick mainly by the lake. One of the benefits of this is that there are some REALLY BIG trout in that lake... oh also some Sturgeon as well, but that's a different story.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey all, do any of you have experience with midgets in Klamath Falls?  flying orgies?.

Jeeeze... wat u just sayz
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They can get pretty bad around the lake. I have had to pull off hwy 97 due to not being able to see through the green guts on the winshield.

Yep, I've seen cars like that down there. It's quite a sight, especially on a white colored vehicle, the green shows up quite nicely.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Living in Klamath Falls, it is easy to tell who lives north of town on 97 come July, you can not read their front license plate due to the green mess.  The worst part is at night, do not stand near a light source, if you do, wear goggles and keep your mouth shut!

OH, and yes, the midges are bad here!
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#8]
HOLY CRAP I haven't thought of midges in a long time. I went to OIT down there... YES I remember the midges.

It's funny: one of my clearest memories of that time is doing my laundry down at the laundromat (down the hill from the theater) and seeing a fog of midges around the parking lot light. Biblical.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I lived in K. Falls for 16 years growing up.  I forgot all about them until I saw this thread.  If you are driving around the lake...make sure you have a spray bottle and a squeegee.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I always thought of them as mainly a June July thing.  Mostly gone in August aren't they?

If you are going to be boating on the lake and don't have a windshield you will want some kind of netting over your head.  They never really bthered me that much but I was always afraid I would breathe them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top