Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 2:12:43 AM EDT
I'm coming down to Atlanta GA for a wedding next week, and am planning on breaking up the trip with an overnight in the Charlotte area.  (I77/I85 corridor)  

Anything fun in the area for an 8 year old girl that doens't involve racing?  (I'd stop at some shops but the wife won't hear of it!)

Is "Gem Mountain" neat, or is it a tourist trap?  (saw it on the History channel)

Any amusment parks?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Never been to Gem Mountain but there is Carowinds (amusement park), it's only open from Fri-Sun this time of year though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Carowinds has Scarowinds going right now. 8 years should be OK.

I think it goes from 7-midnight on Friday and the weekends.

There is something about 30 min outside Charlotte called LAZY 5 Ranch. All kinds of animals and stuff. I have takn my 2 girls there a few times.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The discovery place in down town Charlotte is a good stop also.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
the concord mills mall has a huge arcade in it...
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, Discovery Place for science. Carowinds (Scarowinds) is an amusement park. Normally, it's an all day thing. I don't know about during the halloween season. The advantage with Concord Mills is the Bass Pro is there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Carolina Renaissance Festival just 15 min up in Huntersville.

www.royalfaires.com/carolina/

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The discovery place in down town Charlotte is a good stop also.

I still like to go there and im 20. i was in the phillipinnes when pinatubo erupted. DP still has the volcanic ash on display that my dad donated.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooresville. Drive-thru petting zoo with all sorts of African animals. Worth the trip.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
This place is fun (if the kids are into nature, animals, etc)

Carolina Raptor Center

I went this summer with my son.  WE loved it.  They have small education sessions that allow the kids to see the birds up close and personal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top