Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 8:27:32 PM EDT
Does anyone know how well these perform? They are available with different barrel lengths and use AR mags.

I have not heard much about them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean the 16-CA?

I tried one and it felt clunky and the handguards were loose and felt funny. The grouping was crap, but it was a friend's gun and he was using some cheap plastic-cased ammo.

ETA: I didn't like the plastic frontsight.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend is picking up one this weekend, but i won't be able to go with him to check it out. There is available a different hanguard.
An article that he sent reviewed one that got groups of about 1 inch to 2 inches.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard the Army is going to replace the M4's with SUx-16's right after they replace all their Hummers with Pontiac Aztecs.

Seriously, they're not the greatest rifles in any config. Trigger has a lot of creep. No manually operated bolt hold back device. Held together with a bunch of screws that'll probably wear loose after time. Unless you're shooting from bags on a bench with some kind of optic, they shoot 3" groups at 50 yds. The SUx-16A bipod is flimsy. The "railed handguard" is plastic. Mags soften up in the sun and rounds start popping out. It'll take AR15 mags, but the bolt causes wear to the rear of the mag feed lips. Barrel is screwed into a barrel extension that is molded into the receiver.

May be useful as a utility/trunk gun. Some owners swear by them, but I think it's simply denial since they can't get their hands on a real Black Rifle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#4]
They're not much good for anything. Unless you have a stash of AR mags (in which case you already have an AR), you're better off with an SKS as a trunk gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I held one at the local gunshop a week ago.  It felt flimsy, light, almost flexible.  To be honest, it felt like a toy gun.  The kind that has an orange muzzle.  I was looking forward to buying one, since the price sounded nice, but after holding it, I shelled out the money for an M1A Scout instead.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I wondered how it compared with the Mini-14 since our chioces in PRK are limited.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Trigger has a lot of creep. No manually operated bolt hold back device. Held together with a bunch of screws that'll probably wear loose after time. Unless you're shooting from bags on a bench with some kind of optic, they shoot 3" groups at 50 yds. The SUx-16A bipod is flimsy. The "railed handguard" is plastic. Mags soften up in the sun and rounds start popping out. It'll take AR15 mags, but the bolt causes wear to the rear of the mag feed lips. Barrel is screwed into a barrel extension that is molded into the receiver.

May be useful as a utility/trunk gun. Some owners swear by them, but I think it's simply denial since they can't get their hands on a real Black Rifle.

I've had mine for awhile and it doesnt have any trigger creep at all. The manually operated bolt hold back device is behind the magwell. Its under the gun between the magwell and trigger guard. True, there were problems with the factory mags in the beginning, but I hear thats no longer an issue. With the availability of better AR 10 rnd mags and the SU-16s ability to accept them, even if you got the bad batch you could just use the AR ones. Don't know about the wear issue as I havent seen any on mine yet. Using the crappy plastic sights, I've always grouped under 2in. at 50yds, this with Q3131A (havent tried any other stuff yet).

Maybe some people have denial but I wouldnt generalize. Unfortunately, a lot of folks were simply too young or didnt have the foresight (or money) that you had to buy and register AWs before the ban.  With the way CA is today, aside from the mini-14, fab-10(vulcan, cabushmaster) or remington pump (forgot the model) the SU-16 is the only inexpensive magfed, possible hi-cap rifle choice you have.

Really Linea the best place to get honest true owner feedback is to go to one of the kel-tec forums. Try:

Ktrange
KT owners group
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The opinions here remind me of the black rifle when it first came out.  

Linea_de_Fuego, I hope you're wearing waist boots

Mags soften up in the sun and rounds start popping out.
OMG!

I've heard some good reviews about them at calguns.  I'm also planning to get the CA model one day.  

Based on another thread here, the mini14 has 10' groups so don't bother aiming.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, this is like asking "Is the Glock superior to the 1911" on the 1911 forums.

Some people have black rifle disease so bad they cant see past the end of their barrels!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Really Linea the best place to get honest true owner feedback is to go to one of the kel-tec forums. Try:

Ktrange
KT owners group

Thanks for the info. I have a Mini already (shoots 2 in groups @100 yds.). I wondered about the accuracy and function of the Kel-tec.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#11]
At the time, I was torn between the mini, the su and robarms m96.

I couldnt stand paying 1500 for a gripless rifle so that cut the choices down to mini or ar. The decision to go su was due to mags used (I had some from 96 that were supposed to be sold along with an AR I had way back then, sold the ar but the wife forgot to include the mags! I wish she had sold the mags and kept the AR!). Obviously the mini cant take these mags.

Again the su isnt a battle rifle. Since it only sees range use for me it works just fine. Of course if for some reason hell freezes over and CA allows ARs again, I'm going to be first in line ordering...or maybe I can move to AZ....

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
At the time, I was torn between the mini, the su and robarms m96.

I couldnt stand paying 1500 for a gripless rifle so that cut the choices down to mini or ar. The decision to go su was due to mags used (I had some from 96 that were supposed to be sold along with an AR I had way back then, sold the ar but the wife forgot to include the mags! I wish she had sold the mags and kept the AR!). Obviously the mini cant take these mags.

Again the su isnt a battle rifle. Since it only sees range use for me it works just fine. Of course if for some reason hell freezes over and CA allows ARs again, I'm going to be first in line ordering...or maybe I can move to AZ....

Just make sure you eventually get an M1A someday before those are gone too.  You can find Polytech/Norincos for about $650 on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica.  Unfortunately you'll probably need to get a new bolt ($150) and have it fitted ($140).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Just make sure you eventually get an M1A someday before those are gone too.  You can find Polytech/Norincos for about $650 on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica.  Unfortunately you'll probably need to get a new bolt ($150) and have it fitted ($140).

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top