Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 6:04:54 PM EDT
Hello folks!  I am wondering if Kel-Tec SU-16 rifle is legal to CA. Please give your concerns and opinions.

In my presonal opinion, it is perfectly legal except the folding stock/body issue. Otherwise, it should be a fun rifle for plinking.

Please check "http://www.kel-tec.com/".
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they are.

More info here ...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=182466
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
legal? yes.

should you buy one? no.

i was at turners today picking up 2 sks's and during the hour of paperwork i asked to fondle the su16. i found it to be cheaply built. the plastic sights felt like they would break off very easy. i am glad to get 2 sks's for less money than the su16. if you have ar15 mags then wait for something better to come out. some guys at calguns.net are working on it right now. i also heard that keltec is coming out with a new model with metal sights.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I held one in a store and it fely cheap to me. I shot a friend's and was not impressed. It feels flimsy and cheap.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My friend had one before he passed away but never got a chance to shoot the little thing but have to admit I did like it and he raved on and on about it. Has to be the smallest rifle Ive ever seen excluding sbr's and his took glock mags which is a plus if you own a glock but I think they also make them for S&W mags to.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hello folks!  I am wondering if Kel-Tec SU-16 rifle is legal to CA. Please give your concerns and opinions.

In my presonal opinion, it is perfectly legal except the folding stock/body issue. Otherwise, it should be a fun rifle for plinking.

Please check "http://www.kel-tec.com/".

because when its folded it is inoperable its more of a break down rifle instead of a folding stock.

I hear that they are coming out with one that has much better sights the Su-16B, if you want one wait for that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are near Oceanside go to Iron Sights and rent one there, I did and was not very impressed. Maybe because I had my AR there  too shoot also. The SU16 felt cheap  and the range master said the factory bolt only lasted about a week before they had to replace it with a Bushy bolt they had in the back, he said the same thing about the factory mags it came with. But if  it is your only option  and you stock piled some mags it would be ok for a plinker.    

It  did have the rail to put  better optics on because the  sites did suck, and the integral bi-pod was pretty lame also
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
you can also purchase the Robinsons Arms (
http://www.robarm.com) M96 in the California edition that takes AR15 mags

http://www.robarm.com/m96_california_recon_carbine.htm
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
legal? yes.

should you buy one? no.

i was at turners today picking up 2 sks's and during the hour of paperwork i asked to fondle the su16. i found it to be cheaply built. the plastic sights felt like they would break off very easy. i am glad to get 2 sks's for less money than the su16. if you have ar15 mags then wait for something better to come out. some guys at calguns.net are working on it right now. i also heard that keltec is coming out with a new model with metal sights.

do you have a link to what they guys are working on at calguns.net....i would love to see it
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
i don't know how to do a link but you can just go to calguns.net then enter the forums at the bottom right. click on the riflemans forum and the thread is "rifle idea". i don't know how long it would take for anything to come of it but atleast it is a hope for us in california.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't you think it's a wrong move to make the barrel THAT thin???
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Both Volquartsen and Remington will be introducing 223 rifles that accept the AR-15 magazines. The Volquartsen Evolution is semiauto and costs around $2000.00. The Remington is a pump action patterned after the 7600, I guess it's called the 7615.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh yeah, they're both Kali legal....
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My friend had one before he passed away but never got a chance to shoot the little thing but have to admit I did like it and he raved on and on about it. Has to be the smallest rifle Ive ever seen excluding sbr's and his took glock mags which is a plus if you own a glock but I think they also make them for S&W mags to.

i think ur talking about the kel tec s2000...thats the one that takes the handugn magazines and is not allowed because it has a pistol grip..

I REALLy wish we could have one of those in california. Would work well with the hi cap glock mags i have.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Both Volquartsen and Remington will be introducing 223 rifles that accept the AR-15 magazines. The Volquartsen Evolution is semiauto and costs around $2000.00. The Remington is a pump action patterned after the 7600, I guess it's called the 7615.

Evolution rifle - pretty damn nice!!

www.volquartsen.com/evolution.htm

[made link hot - Paul]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#17]
WOW!!  That is freakin expensive!  It must be one hell of a tack driver to ask that much.  I can understand taking advantage of the supply/demand thing, but outside of cali. who's gonna pay THAT much for a .223?  In the United States, you can build two AR's for that price.  $1,500 and you can get a M14 type of your choice in cali.  I know Volquartsen is HIGH quality, and I wouldn't expect any different with this rifle, but damn....at least give me some iron back up sights.  Don't get me wrong. I like the looks of the rifle, I'm sure it'll knock the nuts off a gnat at 300yrds., I'm sure it's quality...but I'm also sure they would sell ALOT more if they were closer to $1,000 or less, in or out of cali. (oh yeah, and how about those iron sights?).
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
WOW!!  That is freakin expensive! hell

I feel the same way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#19]
It's nice that the Volquartsen accepts detachable AR15/M16 style magazines, however as others have pointed out, I'm not sure that the convenience is worth the price tage. Besides, what's the point if I already own an AR? I can just use my high-capacity magazines in the true "assault weapon" which I already own.

It seems like they are targetting folks who own an AR along with high capacity magazines. I honestly can't see someone purchasing the thing if they don't already have high-cap magazines.

It seems like the rifle has a limited market.

Also, I'm not that attracted to the drop between the receiver and barell, does anyone else find that "off" for some reason?

Edited to add: It looks like an obese Ruger 10/22. One too many McDonald burgers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I think it is for those who has no AR-15 rifles but has hi-cap AR mags, in Kali.

For example, I got AR hi-cap mags before 1990, but I never had an AR-15 rifle. It sounds funny but true. Perhaps I will get an Evolution instead of KelTec SU-16. (if and only if I have enough $$$)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top