Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:30:21 PM EDT
What are the Georgia laws for keeping a handgun in your vehicle?  Does it have to be locked in the glove compartment or what?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't have a carry permit, I believe it has to be in a holster in the glove box, console, or in plain view.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you don't have a carry permit, I believe it has to be in a holster in the glove box, console, or in plain view.

+1 Thats the way I understand it too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not in plain view.

If you have no permit it has to be in the glove box or console or trunk. Its good idea to put the gun in a holster to keep foreign objects (pens, coins) from getting in the trigger guard.

If you have a permit, it can be anywhere in the car.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in plain view.

If you have no permit it has to be in the glove box or console or trunk. Its good idea to put the gun in a holster to keep foreign objects (pens, coins) from getting in the trigger guard.

If you have a permit, it can be anywhere in the car.

Here's the language of the law...

This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I stand corrected.

I wonder if holstered on the seat is considered in plain view or if the gun has to be fully exposed?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I stand corrected.

I wonder if holstered on the seat is considered in plain view or if the gun has to be fully exposed?

Can't find anything in the law about that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I was stopped in savannah about 10 years ago after a police officer almost  t-boned me when he ran a stop signhock.gif.When he came to the truck I told him I had a gun on the seat he said you got a permit i said no he says well keep it in plain sight .He got back in his police car and left.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]
One thing I am not real sure about is when a person w/out a liscense has a gun, can it be loaded while in the console or glove box? Or must it be separate from the ammo. Sorry I am not quite sure because of the wording.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One thing I am not real sure about is when a person w/out a liscense has a gun, can it be loaded while in the console or glove box? Or must it be separate from the ammo. Sorry I am not quite sure because of the wording.

It can be loaded in that case.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Along these same lines, I'm curious if anyone knows if Georgia has provision in the laws for open carry in restaraunts serving alcohol by the drink and also if rifle w/ magazine inserted is OK.  There are places I travel that I feel safer venturing into with a shotgun in the trunk just in case, but don't want to leave shells in the magazine (chamber clear) since I'm unaware of the legality.

AKTactical
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I think ya'll are making it harder than it has to be.  Ga law only addresses handguns in vehicles, you can carry your rifle, shotguns, long gun loaded or not as you see fit, either in the passenger compartment or in the trunk.  You can have your car or truck parked in the beer joint parking lot loaded or not.  The law is mute on open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, I suspect the owner of the place will advise you on whether or not you are welcome, probably rather quickly.  

"open and exposed to view" means that it is readily identifiable as a handgun if it is to be left in the open while you are driving.  It can be in a holster, but it has to be open and exposed to view...

WHATEVER YOU DO, don't keep it with your proof of insurance or drivers license.  I almost put a .357 round thru a drivers ear who thought I didn't need to know his cocked and locked Govt Model was in the glove box with his insurance paperwork.  

ETA: it can be loaded in the glovebox, console or in plain view, you do not have to keep the ammo seperate....this ain't New Jersey or some other Commie state....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep a zip gun and a saturday night special. Somebody steals them ain't no big deal. I have to pop a cap they clean up real good!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I keep a zip gun and a saturday night special. Somebody steals them ain't no big deal. I have to pop a cap they clean up real good!

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Along these same lines, I'm curious if anyone knows if Georgia has provision in the laws for open carry in restaraunts serving alcohol by the drink and also if rifle w/ magazine inserted is OK.  There are places I travel that I feel safer venturing into with a shotgun in the trunk just in case, but don't want to leave shells in the magazine (chamber clear) since I'm unaware of the legality.

AKTactical

You can't carry in any establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises.

OCGA 16-11-127 prohibits deadly weapons(explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense or defense) at public gatherings(sporting events, churches, political rallies/functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises.

You can purchase a copy of the Ga law enforcement handbook at www.harrisonlegalpub.com.  It's about 1500 pages of everything you ever wanted to know about criminal procedure (searches, warrants, terry stops, ect) and criminal offenses.

I have been a LEO for about 11 years, and one thing I have learned is that LEO's often don't keep up with the yearly changes in the law and often wrongly qoute the law.  If you want to know the truth, buy a law handbook and read it for yourself.  I live inside the LEO community and I don't belive it unless I read it myself.

Just my 2 cents.  OUT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks a lot for the info CQB.  It's good to hear from a definitive source.  I'll borrow my uncles copy of the handbook next time I see him.

AKTactical
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks a lot for the info CQB.  It's good to hear from a definitive source.  I'll borrow my uncles copy of the handbook next time I see him.

AKTactical
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top