Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 11:46:01 AM EDT
Just read the article from the front page about the machine gun conviction being overturned.  So metalman, are you up to the task of making one from scratch.  If so, I'll take two and we need to start talking price, lol.  I wonder if theorhetically, you would have to register said gun?  Being the metal master you are, thought you might find it interesting.
I'm gonna try and post the link but I always have a rough time making it live, but like I said, the main link for it is on ar15.com's home page.  http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/fri/news/news_1n14gun.html
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My next BIG project will be to build a Maadi Griffin 50 BMG!
Before that I will be making a FAL I think. But these are all projects far down the road. Family life is definately my focus for the meantime.
If I can get out to shoot, its a bonus, but not a requirement.
I really need a Mill. That would make the 50 project a ton cheaper, being that I could then make my own reciever rather than have to buy it.
And I have no idea how large of a lathe you would need to start making barrels. That will probably be the only thing I'll HAVE to buy to build the 50.
I have a friend who went to a gunsmithing school in Colorado who built his own match .308 with this beautiful hexagonal barrel. All from scratch, very impressive. The action was based on the Rem 700's.
I am not sure what the legal status of that is. I'll have to check out the article you linked me to first!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude it sounds like that guy had  a few more problems than 'not knowing' it was not OK to build a machine gun.

I am all about the law! I feel really proud that the 2nd Amendment allows me to have the fun that I do, as well as being able to protect my family.
If it came down to the law wanting to confiscate my weapons...I think I would plead to destroy them and make art out of them. Just as a fitting demise for my beloved   pastime, and a criticism on the law itself.
I'm sure I could wrangle that in the end. Government gets a little confused with aesthetic semantics. HAHAHAHAH!!
Heaven forbid (<-----HAHAHAHAH) the law/government does that to us. But  where would YOU draw the line? Would you pack up and run to the hills? Or just relinquish them? Or relinquish them in a VERY PISSED OFF MANNER! As I most surely would do.
I dunno, what a weird connundrum. But in the end, I think the eradication of all death bringing devices would be a good step in the right direction. From an idealist/purist viewpoint.
What the hell have I set myself up for....shudder.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
First off, I probably wouldn't put out a contract on the judge, just me personally ya know.  I'd probably be with you on just cutting the receiver and turning it into art, that way if the law ever changed then you could restore it.  But damn, a 50 bmg would just be the shit.  If you really do get into building one, seriously let me know or something, I'd love to get in on something like that.  If nothing else just to watch, I don't have many skills that would be of much help in production but ya never know.  Anyway, I thought that was an interesting loophole, that I personally didn't know about.  BTW I'm gonna let you off of the eradication of all death bringing devices bit on the grounds that flaming might inhibit the chances of my being a part of a 50 bmg project, lol.
Later,
Justin
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]
HAHAHAHAHAH!!! Actually, everyone in here has the skills, its really just a question of applying them. I taught welding for 7 years and in that time found out that almost anyone can do it.
All the other power/hand tools are a no brainer, you just need someone to show you how to apply them to a specific job. After that you just get faster and better.

This project isn'y gonna happen any time soon my friend. I have too much on my plate as is.
As far as building goes heres my list:

Walls for MODCC at CMMG

reactive targets galore for the same

Skeleton stocks (10) to sell through my gunsmith

Extended magazine release levers(15)

Sheperds hook replacement plates(15)

My own FAL

and finally the Maadi Griffin 50 BMG

I gotta lot of work to do ....dammit!!!

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
" But in the end, I think the eradication of all death bringing devices would be a good step in the right direction."

Ya, but then the hippies would win.

And really, doesn't that mean we'd have to get rid of rocks? Sounds like quite a task if you ask me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I
But in the end, I think the eradication of all death bringing devices would be a good step in the right direction.

But wouldn't this include cars, bath tubs, cigarettes, chainsaws, whatever???
Besides, if you did live forever, just what would you spend your time doing? (Ever read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy? )

BTW, most open bolt type subguns can be fairly easily constructed using simple shop tools. As for myself I would love to design and developed my own original piece.  The only really difficult bit would be the barrel and those you can buy ready to go.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a sig line someone has on this board that reads; "I can imagine a world without weapons, a world without war...

...and I can imagine how easy it would be to conquor them, because they'd never see it coming!"

Regarding anyone foolish enough to think that an appellate court decision gives them some kind of permission to build an unregistered machinegun:  I've said it before and I'll say it again:

ITS A TRAP!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
KILL THE HIPPIES!!!!!!

I saw an Osbournes show once where Ozzy was working out and had a T-shirt on that said  'HIPPIE KILLER"

I want it!!!!!

Just stirrin the pot folks.......we are a plague unto ourselves.

Do what thou will, shall be the whole of the law!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
"But wouldn't this include cars, bath tubs, cigarettes, chainsaws, whatever???"

I've always thought that was the "weak link" in the chain of logic the anti-gun people try to use. They don't seem to understand that eliminating all guns wouldn't eliminate all violence. If I could snap my fingers and eliminate all guns instantly I would NOT do it. If someone invades my house I don't want to face them evenly armed. I'm not looking to give them a sporting chance. No Marquis of Queensbury rules here. I prefer to have the bad guys so outgunned that they crap their pants when they find out the situation.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Our owning guns - our 2nd Amendment right - is the strongest deterrent for criminals...

Why did we win the cold war???
We out gunned the competition, or rather out spent them into bankruptcy...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top