Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2011 4:03:19 PM EDT
I received a call from the SQ here in Quebec that they have completed all my documents for my both my non-restrictive and restrictive PAL. I was told that I should receive it in approximately 20 days. Not that I am halfway through the process, I understand I cannot immediately buy a firearm , and the wait is 28 days. But in the meantime I join a shooting club; In Montreal, there are two , and once you pay the fees and demonstrate proficiency due to Law 9, you become a member of the club. After that you can buy a firearm, but still need a permit from  the SQ to transport the firearm from the range to my home. Am I missing something, or did I make this whole process longer than it was. I just was a pistol and AR type rifle that I can peacefully shoot in a range environment in Canada, five and ten round magazines respectively. IS there anything else do I need to do, and can I streamline any of these processes? Also, does anyone have the link to the SQ where I can apply for a transportation permit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not to sure on the rules in Quebec but it is not as hard to get guns as some people try make it seem. Have fun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Well you did the worst part so far...

As long as you join a club, did follow the law 9 course and got your PAL in hand, you can buy a gun. Let's say you buy it at your local shooting club, well you can use it the same day.
You will not be able to bring it back at home yet...

here's how it work: The club or whoever is selling you the firearm, will call the RCMP by phone and make the transfer under your name. As soon it is done, you are the owner and can use it. Unfortunately, you will have to leave it at the dealer because you don't have your transport authorization yet. So if the dealer is not your shooting club, you won't be able to shoot it.

This mean if you still don't have your transport authorization, you can use your gun but have to leave it at the dealer location. This not mean that all dealers will do this but both at Montreal will do it. I use to be a member of one of them.
You will have to fill this form to request a transport authorization. This is an RCMP form. Since it is a federal regulation, the SQ is using the same one. You only have to send it back at the SQ at their GQ on Parthenais st. in Montreal at the att of firearm division permit.
Authorization Transport Form

Then, in 2-8 weeks (yea the SQ is not very fast), the dealer will receive by fax the first authorization so you can bring back your firearm at home. One shot deal... this is not your regular transportation authorization.
Few days after, you should receive by mail you daily transportation permit from your home to your shooting club only. This permit is good for all the year or as long as you are a member of the shooting club. Max 2 years.
You will have to complete this form every time that you renew your membership. Usually every year but like I said, if you pay your membership for 2 years, they also issue the transportation permit for a maximum of 2 years.

If you have any question with the form, let me know

Ho, buy the way...you can expect the SQ to call any of your relative or friends to inform them that you have requested to buy a gun and if they are OK with that. They will also ask them if you are mentally able and do not represent a security risk. lollll
that's the result of the Anastasia's law (regulation 9)...welcome in QC

As your other questions: in short...
Pistol center-fire: 10 rounds
Rifle including semi-auto center-fire: 5 rounds or any 10-20-30 rounds mag pinned to 5. Now there is also exception but will not start to elaborate here...
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well you did the worst part so far...

As long as you join a club, did follow the law 9 course and got your PAL in hand, you can buy a gun. Let's say you buy it at your local shooting club, well you can use it the same day.
You will not be able to bring it back at home yet...

here's how it work: The club or whoever is selling you the firearm, will call the RCMP by phone and make the transfer under your name. As soon it is done, you are the owner and can use it. Unfortunately, you will have to leave it at the dealer because you don't have your transport authorization yet. So if the dealer is not your shooting club, you won't be able to shoot it.

This mean if you still don't have your transport authorization, you can use your gun but have to leave it at the dealer location. This not mean that all dealers will do this but both at Montreal will do it. I use to be a member of one of them.
You will have to fill this form to request a transport authorization. This is an RCMP form. Since it is a federal regulation, the SQ is using the same one. You only have to send it back at the SQ at their GQ on Parthenais st. in Montreal at the att of firearm division permit.
Authorization Transport Form

Then, in 2-8 weeks (yea the SQ is not very fast), the dealer will receive by fax the first authorization so you can bring back your firearm at home. One shot deal... this is not your regular transportation authorization.
Few days after, you should receive by mail you daily transportation permit from your home to your shooting club only. This permit is good for all the year or as long as you are a member of the shooting club. Max 2 years.
You will have to complete this form every time that you renew your membership. Usually every year but like I said, if you pay your membership for 2 years, they also issue the transportation permit for a maximum of 2 years.

If you have any question with the form, let me know

Ho, buy the way...you can expect the SQ to call any of your relative or friends to inform them that you have requested to buy a gun and if they are OK with that. They will also ask them if you are mentally able to to that and do not represent a security risk. lollll
that's the result of the Anastasia's law (regulation 9)...welcome in QC

As your other questions: in short...
Pistol center-fire: 10 rounds
Rifle including semi-auto center-fire: 5 rounds or any 10-20-30 rounds mag pinned to 5. Now there is also exception but will not start to elaborate here...

Thanks for the answers; it was very helpful. I expected it to be two more months after issuance of PAL in order to transport a firearm to my house. And yes, they did call my friends and references and asked if I was mentally stable. That was quite a treat.

Now, I am joining the CRAFM in Montreal because I enjoying shooting both AR-15's and pistols; out of both ranges on the Island of Montreal this is the only one that I can shoot rifles, even if it a little more expensive. Will be going there once I have PAL in hand.  Now, like in the U.S., are the AR lowers the firearms, and if so, can I buy the AR lower first, have an ATT issued for it, and then transport and subsequently purchase  parts such as upper through distributors like Questar to build it the way I like? Or do I have to purchase the AR complete?

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
yes, the lower is the firearm itself here too...

you can buy just the lower (stripped or not) and you will have to follow the same process for the transport. The only difference is when completing the form, instead of re-entering the old information of previous firearm that were approved, just pout "see personal file"
I hate to rewrite all the same information and serial number year after year while they already have them in file.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yes, the lower is the firearm itself here too...

you can buy just the lower (stripped or not) and you will have to follow the same process for the transport. The only difference is when completing the form, instead of re-entering the old information of previous firearm that were approved, just pout "see personal file"
I hate to rewrite all the same information and serial number year after year while they already have them in file.

Thanks for the replies.  I'll will first join the range, take the safety course, pass the Law 9 course, and then buy a lower.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The best advice I can give is move province - get out of Quebec and Eastern Canada and head West.  I realise that might not be possible.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The best advice I can give is move province - get out of Quebec and Eastern Canada and head West.  I realise that might not be possible.

Sorry guys, I would love to move West towards Whistler, but I'm here in Montreal with a GREAT job and can legally get a PAL. I will admit the PAL process has been long, starting it the first week of September of last year. The good new is that I am a U.S. Citizen, and have al my stuff locked up in the States. I just don't get home as often as I wish and I really enjoy shooting; besides snowboarding, it is my favorite sport. When I was home for three weeks I went shooting often and realized how much I missed it.  Yes, I know the 5 round magazines in AR's suck, but it is better than nothing.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry guys, I would love to move West towards Whistler, but I'm here in Montreal with a GREAT job and can legally get a PAL. I will admit the PAL process has been long, starting it the first week of September of last year. The good new is that I am a U.S. Citizen, and have al my stuff locked up in the States. I just don't get home as often as I wish and I really enjoy shooting; besides snowboarding, it is my favorite sport. When I was home for three weeks I went shooting often and realized how much I missed it.  Yes, I know the 5 round magazines in AR's suck, but it is better than nothing.

Dude, at least buy some LAR-15 pistol mags so you can have 10 round magazines for your AR.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, at least buy some LAR-15 pistol mags so you can have 10 round magazines for your AR.

This. Need to re-up my membership with CRAFM and get the Law 9 test.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top