Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2014 6:14:04 AM EDT
For A/C service or repair specifically? Having them come out this morning and replace my entire system since the blower motor in my air handler went out and they say they can no longer get that part or even an entire air handler since my system is R22 and apparently the new EPA crap is R410

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
For A/C service or repair specifically? Having them come out this morning and replace my entire system since the blower motor in my air handler went out and they say they can no longer get that part or even an entire air handler since my system is R22 and apparently the new EPA crap is R410

View Quote

I dunno,
seems strange to have to replace an entire a/c system because the blower motor went out.
You are talking about the electric motor that turns the fan, right?

I have heard/read stories of a/c companies replacing entire systems because the starting capacitor ($15-20 part) goes out out.
Did you get a second opinion?

BTW, I have an old R-22 system and have had a lot of parts replaced over the years.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used them in the past and the guy that came out was honest and reliable.  However not all tech's are that way and that includes any company out there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I dunno,
seems strange to have to replace an entire a/c system because the blower motor went out.

I have heard/read stories of a/c companies replacing entire systems because the starting capacitor ($15-20 part) goes out out.

BTW, I have an old R-22 system and have had a lot of parts replaced over the years.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno,

Yep he said the blower motor is bad. He showed me it up in the attic and it was loaded with dust and mold which was deteriorated the wires . I don't have a unit with a dehumidifier and apparently the mold happens a lot around here (Houston) in the humid climate if you don't have that on your system

I have a trane xl19i system and he says parts are very expensive for them when they shit out.  They called and trane and the blower motor is no longer produced/supported by them so the next option was a whole condensing unit which trane doesn't produce anymore in r22 configuration

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
<snip>
Yep he said the blower motor is bad. He showed me it up in the attic and it was loaded with dust and mold which was deteriorated the wires . I don't have a unit with a dehumidifier and apparently the mold happens a lot around here (Houston) in the humid climate if you don't have that on your system

I have a trane xl19i system and he says parts are very expensive for them when they shit out.  They called and trane and the blower motor is no longer produced/supported by them so the next option was a whole condensing unit which trane doesn't produce anymore in r22 configuration

View Quote

Well, I am no a/c expert.
Guess sometimes it pays have have cheaper systems.

Good news is, your new system should be more energy efficient.

Neither home we have has an attic unit.
Both have an outside condenser unit and an inside evaporator/furnace.
No dehumidifiers as one unit is in the family room and one is in the hallway - so the units are already in a dehumidified environment.

However, both are Franken-units

Our house in Beeville has a Bryant outside unit and a Carrier inside unit.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I am also curious, how old was your system?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

9 years old
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

9 years old
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 years old

Ouch.

I feel your pain.

But then, I am a cheap-ass bastard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ouch.

I feel your pain.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 years old

Ouch.

I feel your pain.

As am I, im still gaping from the bill . At least now I know I can crank the A/C this summer without worries
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Extreme comfort in Plano has been gtg for me. My AC system lasted close to twenty years. Carrier.
I replaced with Bryant
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
unless you have the money to blow, I would get a second opinion.
I replaced just the a/c portion once with the newer higher pressure unit, but refilled with r22 instead.
they had to add an expansion valve to the unit for r22, but it was much cheaper than a whole new unit.
at least you wouldn't be replacing the outside too if it was good.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:15:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Do not use them they will fuck you.

I have seen them fuck the crap out of folks on AC, Electrical and plumbing..

They are set up to do this . It is too much to explain here now but you are better off with a mom and pop shop who wants to fix your equiptment.

Dont get me wrong there  is a time to make a major change out but even though that might be best thing to do for the long run it is more expensive.

I hear more and more horror stories about ac companies in general .  Three year old Lennox system no one could fix so tech got the old lady to change the whole system out again for 18k  and they put the first system in.

It is sad what is happening to the service industry.  It shoulld be called changeout industry
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't make a blower motor?  Reaallly?

Sounds like bullshit.  I'd get a second opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top