Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 11:17:01 PM EDT
Today while visiting my local fun store, 2 young men (maybe early 20's?) purchased and took possession of an m249 and a Barret .50 cal. Immediately after they left, a convoy of local PD and UC vehicles sped passed the store and pulled them over. They were arrested and car towed all in less than 30 minutes of leaving. Any ideas what may have went down?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, assuming the 249 had a semi FCG (ie not a class III weapon), I would assume they have been being watched for a while. Maybe known straw purchasers buying for gang members/cartels?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Both were semi auto. I cannot begin to imagine losing those guns like that, I'm sure they cost a pretty penny.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Who has semi m249s and where do you get belted 556 consistently?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
There is more to this story, sounds like they were known to be cartel straw buyers...but a semi 249...huh? Who would want a heavy ass semi rifle in a LMG format?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is more to this story, sounds like they were known to be cartel straw buyers...but a semi 249...huh? Who would want a heavy ass semi rifle in a LMG format?
View Quote

A fool and his money and/or intimidation factor?

Hell, I don't know.

Not me.

Kind of like owning a fake suppressor
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:02:35 AM EDT
[#6]
There's definitely more to this story. Now im curious! Where was it at?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

To convert it back to full auto?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Or maybe it was all set up to look like a straw purchase to see how the dealer would handle the situation? ie. Trying to bust the shop/owner for any wrong-doing? And maybe he just did exactly as he's supposed to do when it comes to suspicious buyers?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or maybe it was all set up to look like a straw purchase to see how the dealer would handle the situation? ie. Trying to bust the shop/owner for any wrong-doing? And maybe he just did exactly as he's supposed to do when it comes to suspicious buyers?
View Quote

What shop or what part of town was this? The new FN Semiauto LMGs I didn't think were available yet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:Who would want a heavy ass semi rifle in a LMG format?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:Who would want a heavy ass semi rifle in a LMG format?

Quoted:
A fool and his money and/or intimidation factor?

Hell, I don't know.

Not me.

Kind of like owning a fake suppressor

Nothing to do with intimidation or anything. I see it more with collectors who buy the semi-auto DP28, DPM, DT, MG34/42, 1919, Bren, and RPD rifles. They are not practical for what they are, but they are fun to shoot and beats the $20k+ price tag of the Class III originals.

Though if PD and such pulled them over, it sounds like there's more to the story. Need more info here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Just short of giving away the shop's name, all I know is what I have shared. West valley shop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Did they look like military or scrubs?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. There are several places who sell, legally, semi m249's and can legally sell separate full auto drop in fcgs for the same
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep. There are several places who sell, legally, semi m249's and can legally sell separate full auto drop in fcgs for the same
View Quote

Just having trigger components will not make a previously open bolt gun shoot full auto. The conversion to semi-auto on these modifies the bolt/carrier to work with the now hammer-fired semi-auto system. Also they modify the receivers so only the modified semi bolt/carrier will fit.

If you installed an open bolt FCG in a semi auto, you would only get the bolt/carrier to not lock and nothing would happen since it needs a hammer to hit the firing pin to fire.

This is done to make the ATF happy so that they can sell semi-auto versions of these.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I am well aware there are some other components anr mods key to making a semi into a full auto, but it only takes a half competent machinist to make said parts and modify the weapon system. If it is cartels we are talking about then it would make sense to have someone straw buy a semi legally, order the FCG legally and then have a machinist simply do the required mod, install the new parts and machine what else is needed. I'm sure the cartels have the money and resources to figure out how to do this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top