Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 11:13:27 AM EDT
I know a lot of you guys on this forum have fab-10 and other CA ar type rifles so you may be a little biased . I want an ar but obviously we are stuck w/ fixed mags which means you gotta break it open and load from the top like an SKS everytime. So should I still spend the effort and $ for an ar-15 that doesn't really behave like one? How do you guys like yours?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, if you decide to stay in Kali, it's nice to have Fab-10.
If you are leaving Kali anyway, just don't waste money on such Kali-only stuff.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
For practical reasons, get a mini or SU.  An SKS is faster than a FAB
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The FAB-10 was great... when it was the only thing on the market.

You can get one with a more reliable magazine, that costs less now, if you trust a Hesse product Other side benefit if that the HEsse can be converted to normal if you ever leave the state.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I would say if you don't have an M1A, get one first, then get a KaliAR..  The Vulcans I have are okay, but nothing like my real ones or my M1A.  Breaking them open to load gets old, fast.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I' love everything about the M1A, except for the price tag
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Its fun till you have to reload.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Its fun till you have to reload.

us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41afea2dz9e6eba1f/8d7e/__sr_/44a4.jpg?ph6s.DDBw_T1VTVb

A stinkin Red X!  So tell us all, how the heck do you reload a stinkin Red X?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
"Breaking them open to load gets old, fast."

read that one again. let it sink in. $1000 for something you are going to hate after a few trips to the range.

IF you get one for god sake don't try to turn it into an m4 type rifle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I' love everything about the M1A, except for the price tag

Honestly, if you shop around an M1A will cost very close to a complete Cali AR that is built up with quality components.

Vulcan Stripped Lower: $265
Bushmaster LPK:  $65
Collapsable Stock(cheapie): $80
Quality Upper (I like LMT A4): $650ish
Rear Sight (LMT BUIS):  $120

That's $1180, My M!A Socom16 was $1340 brand new.

My thought is, yeah, you could build it for a bit cheaper, but why skimp and possibly have problems?  I actually spend alot more on the couple collapsable stocks for my ARs and got good ones.  

After the rifle is paid for shooting costs are about the same, I've been getting cases of Aussie 7.62 for about $20 more than the going rate of Q3131A, but the M1A is really nice to shoot, and accepts magazines, including the ones I had before the ban. :)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know a good source for an M1A in NorCal? I'm south of Sac. I looked at a local shop's carbine yesterday. The price was almost $1575.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Anyone know a good source for an M1A in NorCal? I'm south of Sac. I looked at a local shop's carbine yesterday. The price was almost $1575.

I got mine eary this year at a "Springfield Sale" at Reed's in San Jose.  Springfield reps were in house and they were discounting all things Springfield.  About 3 months later they had their Annual Sale, but the prices on them were a bit higher.

I'd either wait for a sale, or find an FFL with good transfer fees and get one off the internet from someplace like gunsamerica.com.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top