Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/30/2006 12:08:56 PM EST
I have a few questions regarding a hunting license, I took the course online and got a 77% on it, now I have no idea what next step to take. At the end of the course it told me that I have to take additional courses, such as how to load and clean a muzzle loading rifle. What the hell? Is that really a requirement, or do I have to learn how to do civil war re-enactments so I can hunt with a damn AR?

Can anyone guide me through the process of getting my hunters license?

and also, do I have to carry 5 round or 10 round mags, and will I just be able to insert a wooden dowel so that only the required amount fit inside?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:09:17 PM EST
If you were born before 1976, you don't need to do anything except go buy the licenses. You will need a hunting license and a management area permit if hunting on WMA's.

Check out FWC Licenses

The hunter safety course that you are referring to is in 2 parts: online and at a range.
The range sessions go over different hunting arms (muzzle loader, shotgun and archery). You must shoot each one in a safe manner to complete the course, in addition to some additional lectures.

Semi-automatic rifles can hold no more than 5 rounds in the magazine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:19:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2006 1:20:19 PM EST by Hemi-Cuda]

Originally Posted By FB41:
If you were born before 1976, you don't need to do anything except go buy the licenses. You will need a hunting license and a management area permit if hunting on WMA's.

Check out FWC Licenses

The hunter safety course that you are referring to is in 2 parts: online and at a range.
The range sessions go over different hunting arms (muzzle loader, shotgun and archery). You must shoot each one in a safe manner to complete the course, in addition to some additional lectures.

Semi-automatic rifles can hold no more than 5 rounds in the magazine.

I'm 10 years late to just buy it

So where do I sign up for this range course, I hope to go hunting in a few weeks.

Also, like I asked will I just be able to put in a dowel inside my mag?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:47:22 PM EST
STATEWIDE HUNTER SAFETY COURSE SCHEDULES

And yes, a dowel will suffice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:53:25 PM EST
You can get the course at a number of area gun clubs. Gateway Rifle and Pistol in Jacksonville offers this.

I believe that there is one at the Osceola range every year too.

And I think with detachable magazines, you need to use a 5 round magazine. I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe it to be true. Go to the FWC web site and download the PDF of hunting rules. It should outline it there.

FWIW: I use a 5 round mag when coyote hunting in Georgia just to keep above the law. You can get the mags fro MidwayUSA. You only need a couple and they're only about $20 if emory servers.

Top Top