Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 1:08:56 PM EDT
I have a few questions regarding a hunting license, I took the course online and got a 77% on it, now I have no idea what next step to take. At the end of the course it told me that I have to take additional courses, such as how to load and clean a muzzle loading rifle. What the hell? Is that really a requirement, or do I have to learn how to do civil war re-enactments so I can hunt with a damn AR?

Can anyone guide me through the process of getting my hunters license?

and also, do I have to carry 5 round or 10 round mags, and will I just be able to insert a wooden dowel so that only the required amount fit inside?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If you were born before 1976, you don't need to do anything except go buy the licenses. You will need a hunting license and a management area permit if hunting on WMA's.

Check out FWC Licenses

The hunter safety course that you are referring to is in 2 parts: online and at a range.
The range sessions go over different hunting arms (muzzle loader, shotgun and archery). You must shoot each one in a safe manner to complete the course, in addition to some additional lectures.

Semi-automatic rifles can hold no more than 5 rounds in the magazine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you were born before 1976, you don't need to do anything except go buy the licenses. You will need a hunting license and a management area permit if hunting on WMA's.

Check out FWC Licenses

The hunter safety course that you are referring to is in 2 parts: online and at a range.
The range sessions go over different hunting arms (muzzle loader, shotgun and archery). You must shoot each one in a safe manner to complete the course, in addition to some additional lectures.

Semi-automatic rifles can hold no more than 5 rounds in the magazine.

I'm 10 years late to just buy it

So where do I sign up for this range course, I hope to go hunting in a few weeks.

Also, like I asked will I just be able to put in a dowel inside my mag?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
STATEWIDE HUNTER SAFETY COURSE SCHEDULES

And yes, a dowel will suffice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get the course at a number of area gun clubs.  Gateway Rifle and Pistol in Jacksonville offers this.

I believe that there is one at the Osceola range every year too.

And I think with detachable magazines, you need to use a 5 round magazine.  I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe it to be true.  Go to the FWC web site and download the PDF of hunting rules.  It should outline it there.  

FWIW:  I use a 5 round mag when coyote hunting in Georgia just to keep above the law.  You can get the mags fro MidwayUSA.  You only need a couple and they're only about $20 if emory servers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top