Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 6:54:19 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I tore my ACL back in August and got a new ACL in September.  I'm finally back to the point where I can start exercising heavier and more regularly.  At physical therapy, I'm riding the bike for 10 minutes and hitting the treadmill for at least 10 minutes of 5 mph running.  I'm trying to get back to work by the end of February, so I need to kick out the jams and start running/riding on my non-PT days.

I just need an adult man's bicycle that's in useable shape.  No fancy mountain bike or Tour de France stuff needed, unless you want to part with it for pennies.  I'm looking to keep it under $50, hopefully free if anyone's got one they're not using.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
thrift store/ good will
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Trek 800 that I haven't ridden in years. I gave it to my oldest son when he moved, he's close enough now to ride it to work. If I still had it, I'd let you borrow it.

Hit the yard sales, pawn shops and Craigslist.

Here's one in Canton.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/2786225517.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
A reputable bike shop should charge no more than $35 for a check/tune up sans parts. Well worth it if you plan to put real miles on it.

I agree with the above, in that finding a used one is your best option.

(former bicycle mechanic)
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
To obtain the best results from a bike, you need to get the correct size according to your height.
Also, if/when you have it tuned, get them to adjust the seat and handle bars to fit your body. I highly recommend all these things if you wish to fully benefit your recovery.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#5]
You might be able to pick up a pretty nice bike at Communicycle

Probably hit or miss on what's available when you go there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You might be able to pick up a pretty nice bike at Communicycle

Probably hit or miss on what's available when you go there.

That's a pretty neat little organization.  Those areas are certainly in need of ministry outreach, and bicycles are a great way to do it.  Especially in Clarkston, most everyone walks or bikes everywhere.  Kids ride their bikes all over those apartment complexes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top