Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 7:25:51 PM EDT
.223 smacking a metal target in the distance.  I made it to the farm @ 10am and was picking up the missed clays as the sun went down.  Just about everything in the safe is getting a cleaning tomorrow.  I struggled with a two trigger side by side, fiddled with my newly finicky AR, helped sight in my father's new AR, punched paper with multiple caliber pistols, and fought the wind for every target.  It was a fine, fine, day.

It looks like I may have hooked my father on ARs.  He decided he needed a TA01 ACOG for the one I picked him up for christmas.  I think that will be the excuse to get out next time.  

Did any of you get any shooting in this weekend?  If you didn't, you missed out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]
shot the ar's and my 700PSS all afternoon...  cut a couple jagged holes through1/2" plate...  it took a bit of time, but eventually you can make it through at 200 meters - you just have to stay after it...  not bad for ballistic tips...  i figured they'd turn into tiny pieces...

you picked a nice weekend to work the kinks out of the new ar...

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I had too many "inside" projects going on this weekend. Pretty scarce to see 60 in mid January. Glad to hear some of you got to burn a few.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The "Sunday crew" here in Des Moines Co. got out and we added a whole lot more lead to the back stops! One of us sighted in a new upper, and the others just had fun trying to tell if we hit the plastic 2L bottles. They don't move much, unless you shoot the string! We try to make it out to the range every Sunday, weather permitting.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The "Sunday crew" here in Des Moines Co. got out and we added a whole lot more lead to the back stops! One of us sighted in a new upper, and the others just had fun trying to tell if we hit the plastic 2L bottles. They don't move much, unless you shoot the string! We try to make it out to the range every Sunday, weather permitting.

i have heard of filling the 2liter bottles with sand or expanding foam will help you to tell if they are being hit.

Brett
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe we should get a "Sunday crew" together around Des Moines.  I normally drive an hour south and impose on my folks if I want to shoot.

It turns out that the reason my AR was so finicky was that I broke the pin that holds the ejector in place.

Glad I am not the only one who made it out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe we should get a "Sunday crew" together around Des Moines.  I normally drive an hour south and impose on my folks if I want to shoot.

It turns out that the reason my AR was so finicky was that I broke the pin that holds the ejector in place.

this is a medium i can get behind!!!

super +1!!!

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Unfortunately I had to work this weekend (and EVERY weekend) and Friday/Saturday nights I went to watch the Bucs play hockey.  During the spare time this weekend I was down in the basement frantically trying to clean/sort/box up stuff on my side of the basement...my wife describes our basement as "her side" which is all clean and neatly sorted for her business, "my side" which is the war zone and the "DMZ" in the middle separating both sides.  My side has been bad for around 6 years so her patience has started to wear off so to speak.  The other reason for me to get things cleaned up is that I need to move everything out of my vault, so I can finish off the inside, and need the room to place everything until it's finished.

Rought Riders all the way baby!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

dont know if i could make it every sunday, but i sure would like to try my hand at this shootin crew thing

brett
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Killarbb, How far is it from where you are at to Bays?
Septic, How far is it from where you are at to Bays?
With the bypass I am at about 40 min (I think).  I think you guys are probably within 15 min or so of that.
Anyone else feel free to join in.  This can be as small or as big as whoever wants to show.  Septic is really close to me, so if killarbb can't make it or something I can take a quick jaunt up to jasper co.  I can just as easily head towards Greene County (although that does become a bit more driving-may aim at halfway with you).

I recently picked up one of those light resin tables that can be strapped to the top of the Jeep.  I can throw three folding chairs in back.

One of you gents throw out a date.  Heck, it is going to be warm this weekend, although my AR may not make it back to me by then.  I can shotgun too.

All I need is one guy with a calendar day picked out...  I can find a day in just about any weekend.

I am not all about every weekend, as my wife may start to question my motives, and will definitely let me hear about the increase in shooting costs.  However, I don't see where once every 3 to 5 weeks is not doable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
bays branch is about 20 minutes for me.  i am also up for it, but need to consult the calander yet.  wife is a 3/4 time employee who gets stuck working most weekends, but i will see what her schedule looks like.  i also know that if dave(nemolicious), isnt working, he likes to go to yale and shoot.......and he lives right here about a mile from me.

we can talk it over at the dinner or bar in a week.  

Brett
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I just figured out how to make this even easier.

Who wants to go shooting this weekend?  I am looking at @9:30 or 10am on either Saturday or Sunday.  I don't care which.  Saturday's high is supposed to be 32 and Sunday's is supposed to be 35.  I plan on shooting for two to three hours, and will be on the road to home by 1pm, unless prior arrangements are laid out.

Location depends on who responds affimatively, but will be within an hour of Des Moines.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Brett, you posted while I was typing, and I did not see what you wrote before hitting "submit."  Figuring out something over dinner in a week and a half sounds great.

My invite is still open to anyone who wants to shoot for a couple of hours this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Bays is about an hour south-west of m.  I have been wanting to do some shooting.  One of these times I am going to go and try to shoot off the 200 and 300 yard benches.  I bought a couple rolls of "CAUTION" and "DANGER" tape at Menards a while back to "cordon" off the lane entry, but haven't been able to get there since.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#15]
i will see what thewifes schedule is for the weekend and see if i can make it this weekend

Brett
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
and i forgot to add, the 200 yard bench is nice, but the one at 300 hates me, or maybe it is just that i dont get to shoot that far often enough

Brett
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#17]
where the hell is bays?

you guys lost me on this...

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Northeast of Panora Iowa.  It is the small body of water bisected by F31.  I am not exactly sure where the range is, but I used to hunt a lot of ducks there.  The range can't be that hard to find.

Edited to add: My AR is safely home now.  I don't think I will be putting the el cheapo scope back on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#19]
i am game for either day, just need to know by tomorrow night.  bays branch is pretty easy range to find.  especially if you are coming in on 141.  you head south on highway 4.  turn east(left) on the first gravel south of yale.  you will go east about 2 1/2 -3 miles.  there you will head south on i think it is Vote.  i think that is the road name.  you will head south on it for about 1/4 - 1/2 mile.  the range is the first road on the east.  it is a slightly hidden driveway.  i will give my number to anyone who is interested in heading out there this weekend and i can walk you in, or meet you along the way.

Brett
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#20]
this saturday i'm covered, but i'm game for sunday...  yammer, if you wanted we could carpool...  let me know.  

i have a lease vehicle as a company pickup and they pay for all my fuel when i drive my diesel truck...  whatever you want...

IM me if we move forward with any plans.  i have a colt CAR i'd like to play with a little.

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Sunday it is at 10AM, unless either of you wants to push it a little earlier or later.  it would probably be more out of your way than it is worth septic, so I will drive separately.  I will bring a table and two folding chairs, since I don't know what kind of facilities are available.  It is always nice to have something other than the ground to set things on.  One of you may want to bring an extra folding chair, as I only have two.  I will IM both of you with my cell phone number.

Killarbb, do you know if Nemolicious has thought about making it?

Wantone, do you feel like springing for the hour drive?

Anyone else?  Sunday's forecast has gone to mostly cloudy with a high of 39° and a low of 20°.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#22]
there are 2 benches with 4 shooting positions at 100 yard mark 1 bench with 2 shooting postions at the 200 and 300 postitions.  can only shoot 1 distance at a time as they all use the sam firing lane.  there is a 25ish yard pistol range with 1 bench  and an open area for clay pigeon shooting.  

i think dave works all weekend, but i  will check with him.    

i dont think i am going to bring the shotty because i remember yammer and septic talking about sporting clays at the last meet, and i dont shoot them well......but i could be convinced to bring it if you guys promise not to laug too much.

i will be bringing both ar's, a pair of 9mm pistols, and my encore with both barrels......and who knows what else(i think i am going to run over to the boone gun show tomorrow night.

and also, if anybody else wants, they are more than welcome to come and join us in what will be a great day of shootin(can there be a bad day at the range?)

see you guys sunday
Brett
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#23]
currently in quad cities on business...  called the wife to tell her about my plans on sunday and she informed me sunday was my surprise birthday party...

looks like the colt will have to wait another weekend or two...  

sorry guys, hope you have fun...

i was looking forward to seeing what the new 40gr ballistic tips will do out there a ways...

septic tank

PS - lets hear a range report on this "bays" place...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#24]
range report.........best public(read FREE TO USE) range i have ever found.......i will try to get some good pictures of the actual range and post them up.......

Brett
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Happy birthday septic.  

Brett, I think you should bring the shotgun.  The worst that can happen is that it sits in the vehicle unused.  I will bring my over under as well as one I shoot really poorly.  I have just a little more 20 and 16 ga ammo I need to get rid of, and it may work into the plans.  Who knows?

If I remember I will bring a camera to help with the range report.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#26]
By the way, since septic is out, if any of you passive observers to this thread feel that changing the day to Saturday would get you there, I am sure Killarbb and I would oblige you.  For right now we are aiming at Sunday, but if you let us know before tomorrow night?

It seems we are both equally flexible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#28]
sure hope my "surprise" birthday party is more fun today than blowing shit up...  i doubt it...

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#29]
its too bad more people werent able to attend, but it was quite a nice day at the range.  i brought along some fairly new people to shooting.  they had a blast.  yammer it was great to see you again.  

we discussed it today about how much fun it would be to try to get together say once a month for those in the area and try to get out and shoot.  i think that will be something to talk about on saturday night.

range report with a few pics of the rifle range will be up sometime this week.

Brett
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top