Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2009 11:10:12 AM EDT
I have been using pistols, rifles, and shotguns since I was in college and I am confident with my knowledge and safety checks and routines but I have recently sparked an interest in my extended family.  My uncle has bought 4 Sig Sauer handguns in differing calibers, he and his sons (ages 22 and 20) like to go shooting with me.  I have noticed my uncle and my cousins are very lax in there safety proceedures.  On many occasions I have had to remind them to check weapons for clear when they pick them up or take them out of storage, and I have been swept (unloaded) many of times while they are fingerfucking their Sigs.  I want to either go to or have an instructor come to us that will reiterate what I have been preaching so there are no accidents while they are enjoying their newly found freedom.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find an instuctor that might come out to our shooting site and sit down with about 10 people and go through the life saving safety proceedures that they need to keep us alive.  Or a good course somewhat close to our location in Syracuse, IN.  Ft. Wayne, South Bend are all reasonable distances.  

I know instructors expect to be paid but the $225 per person fee for the upcomming NRA Basic Pistol Course in Ft. Wayne is a bit steep.  We have our own firearms and amunition.  My unkle and cousins may not be willing to pay that and I dont want their lives taken by an ND because they are cheap asses.

Any helpful coments are much apriciated.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
brainstorming:

DNR hunter safety course?  if you can find one nearby, that shouldn't be too expensive

and/or, print out the "4 basic rules" in large font, and have it laminated.  give them each a copy.  tiger brand 7.62x39 has the 4 rules printed on the inside of each box lid.  i tore that off, and had my 10yr old commit them to memory

call your local PD, and see if they offer anything
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

brainstorming:

DNR hunter safety course?  if you can find one nearby, that shouldn't be too expensive

and/or, print out the "4 basic rules" in large font, and have it laminated.  give them each a copy.  tiger brand 7.62x39 has the 4 rules printed on the inside of each box lid.  i tore that off, and had my 10yr old commit them to memory

call your local PD, and see if they offer anything

Thank you, that is a start.  I had not thought of the local PD.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Call the NRA for certified instructors in your area too.

Or check with local ranges/shops to see who knows whom.  Most shops have at least one NRA certified instructor on hand in my experience.

Of course, you could come shooting with me.  I took the certification course about 5 years ago.  Just never got around to sending the paperwork in.  Stupid, but life gets in the way sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Or check with local ranges/shops to see who knows whom.  Most shops have at least one NRA certified instructor on hand in my experience.

Of course, you could come shooting with me.  I took the certification course about 5 years ago.  Just never got around to sending the paperwork in.  Stupid, but life gets in the way sometimes.

I would like to take the certification course as well.  How would I go about doing that?

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:16:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to take the certification course as well.  How would I go about doing that?

I found the one I attended in the state rifle/pistol ass'n newsletter.  I'm sure if you called someone there, they would know who/when to contact. IN Rifle and Pistol Association link

The NRA could give you a list of instructors of the course as well.

In what part of IN are you?
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found the one I attended in the state rifle/pistol ass'n newsletter.  I'm sure if you called someone there, they would know who/when to contact. IN Rifle and Pistol Association link

The NRA could give you a list of instructors of the course as well.

In what part of IN are you?
North East.  Between South Bend and Ft. Wayne.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You're in luck.  My course was up north, so I know there's an instructor near you....Or there was.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#8]
If you can drive to Greencastle, IN, Adaptive Consulting and Training is doing a basic handgun class on 11 July 2009.  It's half a day and only $40.

For more information, check our web site: ADAPTIVE CONSULTING AND TRAINING- Upcoming Classes

We also to private sessions and may be able travel to do a class for you if you have a suitable facility and can confirm enough students.

Or contact me by email: [email protected]

ADAPTIVE CONSULTING AND TRAINING

Quoted:
I have been using pistols, rifles, and shotguns since I was in college and I am confident with my knowledge and safety checks and routines but I have recently sparked an interest in my extended family.  My uncle has bought 4 Sig Sauer handguns in differing calibers, he and his sons (ages 22 and 20) like to go shooting with me.  I have noticed my uncle and my cousins are very lax in there safety proceedures.  On many occasions I have had to remind them to check weapons for clear when they pick them up or take them out of storage, and I have been swept (unloaded) many of times while they are fingerfucking their Sigs.  I want to either go to or have an instructor come to us that will reiterate what I have been preaching so there are no accidents while they are enjoying their newly found freedom.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find an instuctor that might come out to our shooting site and sit down with about 10 people and go through the life saving safety proceedures that they need to keep us alive.  Or a good course somewhat close to our location in Syracuse, IN.  Ft. Wayne, South Bend are all reasonable distances.  

I know instructors expect to be paid but the $225 per person fee for the upcomming NRA Basic Pistol Course in Ft. Wayne is a bit steep.  We have our own firearms and amunition.  My unkle and cousins may not be willing to pay that and I dont want their lives taken by an ND because they are cheap asses.

Any helpful coments are much apriciated.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top