BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2004 5:07:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It might be a hell of a ride here in Mobile... Thanks for looking out for us down here Brother!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Crap!  It looks like I'll be stuck at work.  I wont know the condition of my house until it's over.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I-65N was very busy this afternoon with lots of folks buggin out it seems.  Heck, I think it's forecasted to be a Cat 1 when it reaches us in the northern part of the state.  

Go away Ivan!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a bad one coming right over B'ham.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, I'm down here in Covington county.  This is gonna suck really bad.  We stacked the hangars today at Ft. Rucker and I may not get to go back to work untill Monday.  Worse than that is the major destruction this thing is gonna cause down here.  I live in a mobile home too...extra suckage.  I just wish that damn Ivan would just dissipate.

http://www.geocities.com/ar15bushmasterman/myblackguns.JPG

Seriously though, this is gonna be bad news.  I plan on staying with my home until it departs from me or not so I need some prayers.  Really no where for me to go except for a shelter and I dont believe in handouts so I'll do my best and LORD willing I'll be here when it's over.

Good luck and GOD BLESS to anyone else down here,

Wes
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm in auburn and i think we are due for our piece of this on thursday. i hope everyone in mobile and surounding areas will be ok.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Hunkered down and ready and waiting here in Mobile (well, not really ready for it, but I may as well be)!!!  Got the windows boarded up, everything put up in the garage, firearms ready for potential problems, etc...just have a few more small chores to do in the morning and then head inside and wait it out!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:19:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#10]
We were invited to join my folks who are bugging out from B'ham to Nashville, but with the baby (and all of his corresponding needs, supplies, etc.) we decided to hunker down and make our "stand" at home in good ol' Slapout (between Montgomery & Clanton, for those of you unfamiliar with the Greater Holtville/Slapout Metroplex ).  Our home is a large one-story brick flat on a slab in a shallow valley - I know there is no such thing as "safe" in a situation like this, but I figure we're better off than some.

Prayers sent for all on the coast, those on the roads evacuating, and - well - all of us!  May the Lord watch over us and see us through whatever the next few days may bring.  

BTW:  I just had foot surgery (both feet!) last Friday & I'm still recovering, which has made prepping for this thing a challenge to say the least!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Good luck guys. We are prepping for no power, trees down and tornadoes, plus flooding here in alabaster.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#12]
BTW, here is a press release we put out yesterday regarding Alabama shelters for those with special medical needs.  Please pass this info along to anyone who may need it:

ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, P.O. Box 303017, Montgomery, AL  36130-3017
(334) 206-5300 • FAX (334) 206-5534  Web Site:  http://www.adph.org

NEWS RELEASE

ADPH prepares for Hurricane Ivan victims with special needs shelters

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Alabama Department of Public Health, working with partners in the private health care community, are making special needs shelter beds available to accommodate people displaced by Hurricane Ivan who have special medical needs.  
Caregivers will need to contact an Alabama Department of Public Health toll-free number at 1-866-264-4073 to be referred into the appropriate sheltering facility.
Caregivers will need to accompany special needs individuals and provide three days of medication in the original dispensing bottles. In addition, all needed durable medical equipment will need to accompany the special needs patients.
State Health Officer Dr. Donald Williamson said, “Space is limited to only those individuals that need this type of assistance.”
Special needs shelter patients include the following persons having:
•  Progressive Alzheimer’s Disease,
• ALS,
• Aphasia,
• Wheelchair-bound arthritis patients,
• Those with controlled cardiac abnormalities,
• Those who need assistance with walking combined with other assistance,
• Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD, independent or assisted function with oxygen use,
• Cystic fibrosis patients who require medication and assistance with activities of daily living,
• Dementia,
• Diabetes/Hyperglycemia requiring assistance with insulin administration and monitoring,
• Emphysema and requiring oxygen,
• Foley catheters and requiring monitoring,
• Fractured bones with pin care/dressing changes,
• Hip or knee replacements of less than 6 months,
• Persons who use high-tech medical equipment such as G-tube, uncomplicated IV or central venous infusion sites (With home health or hospice attendant) healed tracheostomy site,
• Wheelchair-bound patients with multiple scleroris, muscular dystrophy, osteoarthritis/osteoporosis, neuromuscular disorders,
• Neurological deficits requiring monitoring or assistance with activities of daily living,
• Parkinson’s Disease needing assistance with activities of daily living,
• Psychosis requiring an attendant,
• Persons with seizures requiring medication assistance,
• Persons with skin rashes with open sores, draining wounds, dressing changes;
• Upper respiratory infections requiring isolation,
• Wheelchair-bound patients with complicating conditions,
• Those with open draining wounds, requiring dressing changes and complicated treatments.

9/14/04

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#13]

tagged
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Dude get your ass out of that mobile home. A shelter IS NOT a handout. Things ca be replaced. YOU CAN'T

The loacal law enforcement folks have enacted marshal law in the small town in which I live.  They are shutting down all power and water.  I think this is utter bullshit.  I live outside the city limits so I'll do as I wish.  I hope none of them tries to prevent my passing anywhere I wish to go.  Their mistake.  I pay taxes and have rights to travel.  I dont waste my taxes so I can sit in the dark with no water.  If it gets bad and the Good LORD decides that it's my time I doubt arguing will do any good.  I don't live in a flood zone...that is good.  My wife works at the local hospital and they wont let her leave...she is letting them not let her leave.  I dropped my son off at the hospital so they can stay there together.  Some of my neighbors are damned crackheads so I need to stay and watch my shit.  Worry not I have stocked up on beer and bullets.  I consider myself looter control in my area right now.  Really though if the trailer goes or feels floaty I may bail to safer ground.  I can always find a hole if needs be.  Good luck brothers.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe in the Monty Python hurricane plan.

"RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!!"

Hunkered down in North Alabama.

Balming
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]

dude you are about to get hit with a force of nature you have never seen before. Fuck the trailor, fuck the crackheads, fuck the "STUFF" get out!

mike

I like you mike, you are like me dude, straight to the fucking point.  I have seen a few of these before though.  I lived in Florida and suffered a few down there...seems worse down there...right outside of plant city.  Anyway, if the shit gets too thick I'll bail.  Maybe that will help you feel better.  I got to get a shower now before those fuckin FEMA-nazis turn off the damned water and power...stupid fucks.  After that I have to go ride around and check on my parents and relatives that live close to me.  They're really the dumbasses.  If they'd pack their shit and have bailed it would've been easier for me to say fuckit and go.

Good luck brothers,

Wes
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
About 1:30am - any of y'all (1) still awake watching the weather, (2) still have power, and (3) still online & here?

The wind & rain are starting to really pick up now here in Slapout but power & phones are still intact, at least for now.  Kind of surprising - we usually lose power at the least little storm, if only for a short time.  I didn't bring my laptop home from the office, so when the power goes I'll officially be "offline."

"Mrs. HardShell" & "Junior" are sound asleep, so I've got "watch" for now.  All the provisions are in their proper places, the necessities are packed & by the door in case a bug-out becomes necessary (although that would be the LAST resort), and the SUV and the truck are fully gassed up with several full gas cans in the back of the truck.  (If we HAD to leave, we'd go in both vehicles - them in the SUV & me in the truck, just in case either failed along the way. )  Maybe things won't become so dire...

Here's hoping you are all safe & well!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#19]
3:00am, Montgomery. Tornado alarms ringing, but apparently nothing hit the ground. I called my brother in Mobile, they lost power around 1am, but no severe damage where they are.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#20]
4:00 A.M.  I've set my Weatherbug for Dauphin Island and it's showing sustained wind at 46mph with gust to 91!

It's been raining here in Cullman County for the last hour or so.  The winds are from the east at about 10mph.  Only thing different is that it feels "funny", that's the only way I know how to put it.  It's 70^ and feels almost hot outside.  

I hope that everyone will make it through this storm without any harm to life or property.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#21]
4AM and, amazingly, we still have power.  It has flickered a couple of times but my UPS kept my system up and running.  The rain/wind noise outside has grown until it is loud and constant, so it's probably just a matter of time now...  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#22]
7am, still got power in Montgomery! Talked to relatives in Mobile, apparently only minor damage, if any. not sure about Baldwin County though.  Looks like we are about to get the roughest part here...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#24]
8:00 wind is starting to pick up a bit here in Cullman.  Steady at 10, gusting to 25,,,,nothing bad yet.

Hey, we need to update this post as often as possible from all different locations in the state as long as we can.  We will be an excellent record of this storm.  I'll try to be on every hour as long as my power holds out.

Stay safe!

Rick
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I made it out alive.  The damage is pretty bad here in Mobile.  Trees and powerlines down everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Well things are picking up a bit here but it looks as if the worse part of the storm may pass off to our east.  That's OK by me!

Edit:  A few minutes ago a fellow I know called and asked if I had heard about the tornado in Blountsville.  He says he saw on CNN where an F4 had totally wiped the town out.  Personally I think he's had a nip or 3 too many but I can neither confirm nor deny what he told me.  Can someone in Blount County post and let us know if it's true.  

At 3:15 the winds have really picked up here and we're being told that half the county is without power.  Mine has flickered a few times but so far, so good as it has remained on.  

Stay safe guys,

Rick
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#28]
All clear here in ALabaster.

Our subdivision has underground power, so we never lost power.

Some tree limbs broken around here, none around us. I will find out saturday how our farm in clay co. faired.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm still here and most of my home is too except the skirting.  Power just came back on.  Was down for 16 hrs.  I don't  know how hard the wind blew this morning but I tried to save my skirting and decided to give it up when I was blown across the yard.  Lots of trees down and debris everywhere.  My mobile home did well for the most part.  Next time a cat 4 comes in I am gonna go somewhere with less trees.  I feel safe in this trailer now but those flying trees dont help my confidence any.  I had a lot in my yard but now I am missing a few.

Gotta run,
BBL,

Wes
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Well it seems the tornado in Blountsville turned out to be Blountstown FL.  

We lost our power around 6:00 and got it back around 1:00 A.M. this morning.  It sure has calmed down with just a light breeze blowing.  

It sure looks like we dodged a really big bullet here.  

Rick  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, made it ok.  We lost a tree in our front yard and had no power for about 3/4 of a day, but we're back up and running now.  We are in Gardendale, and if the Family Ninja can be of assistance to anyone here, let us know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#34]
glad to hear everyone is Ok.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Fultondale checking in.  We gained power back last night around 8:00.  Not a whole lot of damage.  All of the trees in the neighborhood look to have fallen in opposite directions than houses.  

Sight from our carport during the storm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry I have not been on for the last couple of days.  I was busy preparing myself for Ivan.  My job is vital to the community and I had to be ready so that I could continue to go to work.  I hope everyone did ok and can get back on their feet soon.  Damage here was minor, but we did not know in advance how bad it would be.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Me again.  I must commend Covington Electric CoOp.  They are doing a bang-up job.  They got my power back up in about 16 hrs.  Still many without but good work all the same considering what they are up against.  I was taking a ride after the major wind had subsided down to 40-50 mph and I saw lines down everywhere.  I have a feeling that a good bit of the tree damage may have been small tornadoes driven by the storm.  Wind damaged trees normally go when the ground becomes saturated and the dirt cant maintain the root structure any more.  Normally any tree that is 'snapped' in two mid-way up the tree and is blown in a randon direction is probably a twister victom.  I thought I heard one go over my home but I believe I confirmed it when I seen a narrow path of pine trees snapped in half about 20 feet from the ground---glad it landed on them and not my roof.  Did a good bit of cleaning today but it is very hot and muggy outside today...perfect weather for a heat stroke.  I am glad most folks are ok.  

Hey Mike, what town are you in?
I live just north of Opp AL myself.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#40]
All o.k. here. Power off at 11:00 Thur and back at 2:30 Friday. Glad all are safe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Good to see all is well with you guys. We made out pretty good here out by the base(West Mobile). Some minor stuff, nothing to severe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Mike, that's good news about your folks place.  Maybe they can invite us down for a cleanup party:).  

Rick
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Everything is good here at my house.  No damage, just a bunch of small limbs down.  I hope everyone fared as well as I did.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Finally checking in from Slapout - well, actually checking in from Montgomery (at the office ).  At home, we finlly got our power back on late last night & we still don't have phone service (which is why you haven't heard from me until now).  We lost several trees (including my wife's favorite apple tree ) and had some minor roof damage, but everyone and most of everything came through okay.  The generator kept the contents of the freezers intact and we all fared pretty well - VERY well compared to many of our friends to the south.

Please continue to pray for those who have lost loved ones, homes, businesses, etc.    While it certainly could have been worse, Ivan left a lot of damage and heartbreak in its path and recovery will be slow and difficult for many.  Thank God Jeane & Karl decided to tango out in the ocean!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#46]
oops
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#47]
unoops
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Ok, I have officially survived Ivan.

I have been working disaster recovery for my employer (T-Mobile) since Thursday and they finally forced me to take a day off.  I just got power back yesterday (Tuesday), so we were out for 6 days.  I have minor damage compared to some of the places that I have seen.  I lost some shingle tabs, some vinyl soffit on my shop, 3 trees leaned over, and some fence issues (not with the part I built, but with the crappy stuff that the neighbor had installed).  Other than that, the power issue was the worst part of it.

As far as work goes, I have had an interesting few days.  I've had to remove an antenna from the top of a Condo that was one 3/8" bolt away from a 21 story drop.  I've had to winch a 20" boat out of the access road to one of our sites.  I've gotten stuck on the beach trying to go around a section of washed out road (with the permission of the state police).  I've seen more M-16s slung over the shoulders of FL National Guard members than I have ever seen in my life.  I've seen idiots "driving" down the road paying more attention to what they are videotaping than where they were going.  It's been a trip.  And tomorrow it starts all over again.  We have yet to get to the worst hit areas, but that's coming soon.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm OK.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
...Thank God Jeane & Karl decided to tango out in the ocean!

So much for MY meteorological skills...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top