Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/29/2018 4:24:19 PM EDT
Everyone has their price and a friend found mine.
I am flying back up in a couple of months to help a friend swap engines in his old truck. A 1980 Chevy C10 with a 400ci engine. So, I need to source an engine.
Anyone have any ideas where I can find a good rebuilt long block? Stock or at least close to stock. Preferably deliver to Jefferson county area.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:38:52 PM EDT
Many moons ago, I got one rebuilt at Shreves in St Louis. That's the only place I know.

https://www.shrevesengines.com/
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:28:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2018 1:30:29 PM EDT by SShockwave]
Need to know more about the wants and needs here and overall project goals

1. Whats the end goal of this truck? hotrod? work truck? cruiser? or just a reliable carb'd V8? Is fuel injection an option?
2. price range. What's the total dollar amount that we have to play with here?
3. Does it have to be a 400? can a 350 work if it has the same HP?
4. Are you looking to keep it old school stock or do we have the option/know how to say install a used LS 5.3L?
5. what transmission is going to be used?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 3:47:38 PM EDT
Talked to Shreve's on the phone today. Looks like I will just take the old engine in to them and they will rebuild it.
Nothing special, just repowering an old truck to last a few more years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 1:29:07 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Talked to Shreve's on the phone today. Looks like I will just take the old engine in to them and they will rebuild it.
Nothing special, just repowering an old truck to last a few more years.
View Quote
A used GM engine from a newer truck (90's) will run better, perform better and only cost you about $500. I wouldn't waste my time with a 400 sbc. I'd get a newer style roller block 350 and use the vortec heads and EASILY make 300hp and have the engine feel / perform totally stock. I gaurantee it would be the same cost as a rebuild on a 400. You could also run fuel injection SUPER easy.
Top Top