Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:45:03 PM EDT
I was thinking of putting a couple rivets in the side but I do not know if that will allow the mag to be inserted???

any other ideas this cannot be a new idea...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
wooden dowel cut to the appropriate length under the follower, maybe attached to a small base for stability. Then I would tack weld the floor plate in place for that extra peace of mind.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this to get the 30-rd look on a 10-rd fixed setup?

It may not be much help, but bushmaster makes 10 round mags that look like 20's and cannot be modified to accept 20 so they are CA legal.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is this to get the 30-rd look on a 10-rd fixed setup?

It may not be much help, but bushmaster makes 10 round mags that look like 20's and cannot be modified to accept 20 so they are CA legal.

thats cool i will have to try and find it, do you know if they make a 10rd that looks like a 30?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/8448670-10.asp

Thats the 20 lookalike, they don't have a 30 lookalike.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was thinking of putting a couple rivets in the side but I do not know if that will allow the mag to be inserted???

any other ideas this cannot be a new idea...

If you switch from using .223 ammo to using .50 Beowulf, the 30 round mag now only holds 10.

You could always take a 30, put a crimp or divot in the body that is deep enough to keep the follower from going past it. That, or the methods mentioned above seem like the only way to get it to work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Pardon me but I just have to ask:

Why?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pardon me but I just have to ask:

Why?

looks and because i have quite a few very good USGI mags that I know work plus less money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
If you already have them, then wait until the ban and you can use em all you want.  Until then, just get 1 10 rounder.  No sense in destroying/modifying mags you have that are going to be CA legal 30 round mags once the lowers get put on list.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you already have them, then wait until the ban and you can use em all you want.  Until then, just get 1 10 rounder.  No sense in destroying/modifying mags you have that are going to be CA legal 30 round mags once the lowers get put on list.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph...

Are you even old enough to DROS a long gun?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't follow you there chief.

I'm saying if he has 30-rd mags already in his possession that he has had since before the CA hicap mag ban, then IMHO it would be dumb to modify one of them to be a 10 rounder just for the sake of making a fixed mag rifle.  Then, when the guns go on list, he wouldn't be able to use it as a 30 anymore since the law states the mag has to be permanently modified to not accept more than 10 rounds.

And yes, i've been old enough for quite a while and have been shooting for 20-something years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't follow you there chief.

I'm saying if he has 30-rd mags already in his possession that he has had since before the CA hicap mag ban, then IMHO it would be dumb to modify one of them to be a 10 rounder just for the sake of making a fixed mag rifle.  Then, when the guns go on list, he wouldn't be able to use it as a 30 anymore since the law states the mag has to be permanently modified to not accept more than 10 rounds.

And yes, i've been old enough for quite a while and have been shooting for 20-something years.

Who's to say they'll go on the list? Plus even if you fix the magazine, if you put the 30 rounder in it, the gun is still an AW.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]
There is no way of knowing if there is going to be additions to THE LIST or even if these lowers will be treated the same way the previous ban treated them.  They may very well be included in a new category of AW that leaves them in the fixed magazine state forever.  Who knows?

I don't think I'd risk getting harassed by the DOJ for the 30-round mag conversion thing.  It's just too tempting for some cop if you know what I mean.

EDITED TO ADD:
After researching a little I found this and changed my mind:  California Code section 12276.1, D, 2  "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

Rivets might not be considered permanent, but some of the other suggestion above might work.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Poly-utherane is your friend.

Just seal with tape, pour, insert rounds, remove rounds and pour more if necessary. It is as permanent as it gets without being irreversable and does not damage the actual magazine itself.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Just seal with tape, pour, insert rounds, remove rounds and pour more if necessary. It is as permanent as it gets without being irreversable and does not damage the actual magazine itself.

I was thinking of something like epoxy but PU sounds better. But where can liquid PU be hoarded from?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking of something like epoxy but PU sounds better. But where can liquid PU be hoarded from?

I had a similar post a couple of weeks ago. My idea was to use epoxy (Hilti is the BOMB) but, as bobfried pointed out, PU is less damaging in the event of being able to reverse the process.
See, an old dog can learn a new trick.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

how do you pour without freezing up the spring?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Why ruin a perfectly good 30-round mag($20) with glue ($5) when you can buy a new 10-round mag ($15) and have the 30-round mag for SHTF or zombies?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Why ruin a perfectly good 30-round mag($20) with glue ($5) when you can buy a new 10-round mag ($15) and have the 30-round mag for SHTF or zombies?

+1.

consider the 30 rounders as GOLD...  just buy new springs and followers if they are legal to begin with.

buy 10 rounders to play with.

bring out the 30s on a private shoot.  but keep them in case of zombie attacks,...

personally, i'm trying work with a weird scientist at work to get his time machine.  i just wanna travel back to 12/1999 to pick up a few things...   ;)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

personally, i'm trying work with a weird scientist at work to get his time machine.  i just wanna travel back to 12/1999 to pick up a few things...   ;)

Bad idea.  In December, 1999 I saw people paying big bucks for thirty rounders, shops were sold out in panic buying at inflated prices.

Luckily, I had the foresight to make all of my purchases way prior to the ban.

Ya' know, many parts of the west are still just like stepping back in time...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Any marine equipment store will have the stuff in the bucket-loads. It is used to seal and protect ships equipment, I have a friend that build a small raft out of cardboard boxes using the stuff, once coated it keeps water out and it also floats.

You can use it on alot of things, from reinforcing a door to building your own mounts for shock isolation uses. You can also fill your engine mounts in your car with the stuff if your stock engine mounts aren't cutting it. It's like liquid duct tape.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#21]
if you pour epoxy or anthing down a mag how can you expect the spring to work? It seems like it would freeze everything...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top