Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2013 6:58:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Good Example of SYG at work. Woman had a legal right to be there. Probably should not have fled. SYG protects a Black woman from going to prison. Imagine that.

WTF is the guy not involved doing just watching? Some folks are just F-ing stupid.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]
If she had stayed at the scene she would not have been arrested.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a good shoot to me. I dont think she should have left either. Taking a picture of him after she shot him seems weird too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree she should have stayed at the scene. She probably should not have taken pictures of the body with her cell phone either. Those aside, it looks like a good shoot from the witness statements and the camera footage. Was that a 10/22 she used? Can't really tell on my phone.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree she should have stayed at the scene. She probably should not have taken pictures of the body with her cell phone either.
View Quote

If she STFU, defense will argue picture was to verify deadly weapon in hand of perp. Will also have excuse for fleeing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
He was supposed to have a knife, but look at how much bigger he is than the woman.  If he had connected with that haymaker he threw, it would have been bad for her.

She was kind of stuck there and in a bad spot.  No real place for her to "retreat" to, especially with the potential second attacker walking around there.

Yet still the family is saying that she shouldn't have shot him, he was a good guy, and all that typical stuff.  It's good to see that nonsense get blown out of the water by video of the reality.

A 10-22 would be a formidible self defense weapon for someone who is probably not a "gun person".
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good Example of SYG at work. Woman had a legal right to be there. Probably should not have fled. SYG protects a Black woman from going to prison. Imagine that.

WTF is the guy not involved doing just watching? Some folks are just F-ing stupid.

View Quote

As long as she did not provoke him, and was not committing a crime at the time, our CASTLE DOCTRINE applies.  (sorry, couldn't resist.  SYG is part of our Castle doctrine as passed in 2007)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As long as she did not provoke him, and was not committing a crime at the time, our CASTLE DOCTRINE applies.  (sorry, couldn't resist.  SYG is part of our Castle doctrine as passed in 2007)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

touche.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the guy killed himself.  She didn't have much choice other than pulling that trigger.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, what was the name of the a-hole who was shot?

I need get ahead of Quanell X, Al Sharpton and the Media in getting my outrage ginned up and printing  "We are all "Insert Criminals Name Here" signs ready.

Imagine, in Red neck Houston Texas, a (insert race and sex of victim) was shot down like a dog....

Wait, what you mean the shooter is not a White Guy????

Nevermind   Not much going to be happening here from our Community Activists and other shit stirrers....

(unless she gets convicted. - that whole leaving the scene and not calling the police), In that case it is all totally racist,

She shouldn't have driven off, but got on the phone to 9-1-1 and she would be doing good here in Houston.  Big Guy with a Knife taking swings at a lady who has warned him she has a gun = dead bad guy and good shoot for her.  

Leaving the scene always a bad move to make....
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<snip>

View Quote

Respectfully, your remark of "Leaving the scene always a bad move to make", isn't quite correct.  There are many reasons where leaving the scene after a UoF event is a good idea.  BG was still alive, armed, and was shot with what appears to be a small caliber weapon.  Unassing the area isn't a bad idea IMHO and I would've done the same thing.  However, unassing the area and NOT calling 911 after a UoF issue is a whole 'nother story.  

-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Crazy people.. would like the video prior to the incident as well as some audio...

There was a shooting in Michigan at a gas station where a guy came at another guy with a trash can lid.. and he was shot and killed. the two had argued prior at another location and they still chose not to prosecute the shooter they called it self-defense.. so basically they are saying you can argue (which can kind of be like provoking in some sense) and still have the right to defend yourself.. but I would still stay away from 'provoking' anyone or 'escalating' the issue... I called the police once on a Tenant, they said they couldn't do anything until the tenant did something stupid.. I basically cussed them out and said so if I go over there and he goes off then I can call you....blah blah blah.. was years ago can't recall exact wording.. anyways the police eventually went over and 'NOTHING' ever happened.. but who knows. if the police did not come out then maybe something 'would have' looking back that tenant seemed to have a knife in his hand a LOT? kind of strange...but I don't scare easily so perhaps it didn't register until years later due to that....

In another incident at a GAS station.. some random 'Trayvon Martin' type came up to me at around 10pm.. wearing a hoodie, yes he was black, and he wanted to know what my plans were fro the night, wanted to go with me.. had a knife in one hand with a light and cigarette in another... seemed very strange... I was going to taco bell and he wanted me to buy him some food.. said he had no money.. not sure how he paid for the cigarette's if he didn't have any money.. seems like food would be more important.. anyways I kept one hand 'at the ready' and an eye on him at all times while I was filling up as I couldn't just hop in the car and take off... dude was 'acting funny'.. doesn't seem normal to me at all to try and make a new friend at a gas station at night, etc... if he even lunged at me with that knife he would be dead right now! And yes that gas station has cameras so I would be 'protected' by visual evidence.. like I said though.. he never made a move.. and I never shot him or even pulled my gun.. but who knows if I took him to taco bell I could be 'dead' right now... DON'T pick up strangers at a gas station on a warm summer night with a hoodie covering their head and a knife in their hand! ;)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Respectfully, your remark of "Leaving the scene always a bad move to make", isn't quite correct.  There are many reasons where leaving the scene after a UoF event is a good idea.  BG was still alive, armed, and was shot with what appears to be a small caliber weapon.  Unassing the area isn't a bad idea IMHO and I would've done the same thing.  However, unassing the area and NOT calling 911 after a UoF issue is a whole 'nother story.  

-SleeperShooter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

-SleeperShooter

I should clarify...  If it was not safe to stay at that location after shooting the Bad Guy, she should have relocated to a safe area and then made 100% sure to call the police.   Driving off into the sunset without contacting the authorities was about the only thing I see wrong in this affair for her.  

It was on all the news channels that the Authorities are asking for help to identify and locate her.   If the PoPo get a name and address, she may get a ride downtown....
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Watched it earlier today after trying not to for the last couple of days...

Looks like a 'good shoot'; will hold my breath for "the rest of the story," though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

-SleeperShooter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

-SleeperShooter

Doesn't her walking over and photographing the dead body before unassing the area pretty much eliminate the imminent danger thing?  Or was the dude not DRT.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a nice neighborhood.

That's some messed up circumstances, but if you're still going after someone after they pull out a rifle, you deserve what you get.

Darwin wins.

Personally, fail for even stopping there for gas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Arsenal76, a fuel hose is a badass weapon. It will shoot far and fast. And it burns!(I accidently kicked the hose while filling up my Nova on South Industrial Blvd around. Corinth in Dallas in 1980. Gas sprayed far and wide).
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Crazy people.. would like the video prior to the incident as well as some audio...

There was a shooting in Michigan at a gas station where a guy came at another guy with a trash can lid.. and he was shot and killed. the two had argued prior at another location and they still chose not to prosecute the shooter they called it self-defense.. so basically they are saying you can argue (which can kind of be like provoking in some sense) and still have the right to defend yourself.. but I would still stay away from 'provoking' anyone or 'escalating' the issue... I called the police once on a Tenant, they said they couldn't do anything until the tenant did something stupid.. I basically cussed them out and said so if I go over there and he goes off then I can call you....blah blah blah.. was years ago can't recall exact wording.. anyways the police eventually went over and 'NOTHING' ever happened.. but who knows. if the police did not come out then maybe something 'would have' looking back that tenant seemed to have a knife in his hand a LOT? kind of strange...but I don't scare easily so perhaps it didn't register until years later due to that....

In another incident at a GAS station.. some random 'Trayvon Martin' type came up to me at around 10pm.. wearing a hoodie, yes he was black, and he wanted to know what my plans were fro the night, wanted to go with me.. had a knife in one hand with a light and cigarette in another... seemed very strange... I was going to taco bell and he wanted me to buy him some food.. said he had no money.. not sure how he paid for the cigarette's if he didn't have any money.. seems like food would be more important.. anyways I kept one hand 'at the ready' and an eye on him at all times while I was filling up as I couldn't just hop in the car and take off... dude was 'acting funny'.. doesn't seem normal to me at all to try and make a new friend at a gas station at night, etc... if he even lunged at me with that knife he would be dead right now! And yes that gas station has cameras so I would be 'protected' by visual evidence.. like I said though.. he never made a move.. and I never shot him or even pulled my gun.. but who knows if I took him to taco bell I could be 'dead' right now... DON'T pick up strangers at a gas station on a warm summer night with a hoodie covering their head and a knife in their hand! ;)
View Quote

You know this is Texas, not Michigan, right?  

And the rest of that  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Amazing.  That dude was on top of her the whole time.  

She is lucky.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Say what?

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-woman-says-she-fatally-shot-man-in-4682813.php?cmpid=hpbn#photo-4952835

Shanequia McDonald stands next to Quanell X during a press conference where he discusses McDonald's situation as 'classic stand your ground' case on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 in Houston. McDonald felt threatened by a man caring a knife who was allegedly sexually harassing her, and shot him in self defense at a gas station.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#21]
From the article;
Quanell has led recent marches in Houston to protest the not-guilty verdict a Florida jury returned in the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin, but said McDonald cannot be compared to the man acquitted of killing the 17-year-old Martin.

"George Zimmerman profiled Trayvon Martin. George Zimmerman stalked and pursued Trayvon Martin. George Zimmerman was armed (but) Trayvon Martin was not," Quanell said.

McDonald "was the victim of an assault. She was trying to get away," he said. "She got the weapon to defend herself."
View Quote

He is being disingenuous.  He should just come out and say in the Zimmerman case the shooter wasn't black, in the new case, the shooter was black.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
He is being disingenuous.  He should just come out and say in the Zimmerman case the shooter wasn't black, in the new case, the shooter was black.  
View Quote

If the shooter was white hispanic he would be defending the black guy. He would argue against Castle Doctrine (SYG), and be claiming if the woman had time to get the gun out of the trunk, she had time to run away. Then he would point to her taking a picture, and fleeing the scene without calling the police. Proof she is a racists murderer. The outrage in the black community would be 10x Zimmerman.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And the rest of that  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the rest of that  

Kicked the Tenant out, he was acting crazy.. I've seen it before when I had to defend myself.. only now I have a gun.. wasn't looking for trouble so I didn't go over there.. I warned him 5 times at least to fix his truck which was leaking oil as a new driveway was going to be put in.. he never listened.. he put cardboard down outside which blew away... after ignoring the 5+ warnings he got evicted.. then tried to blame me in the deal.. he had more than enough time and warnings but he was lazy and SURPRISE he had a bankruptcy on his record... No point in getting within two feet of someone like that who is extremely emotional and extremely likely to do something stupid.. a bankruptcy by itself tells me a person is likely stupid.. very few people who are smart let it happen... and he wasn't in a wheelchair or anything.

There have been cases in TEXAS where people have done similar things.. many things I learned from getting my CHL here in Texas have shown that TEXAS is more on the side of rights to the individual to protect themselves over the turn and run, pray to god, call the police so they know where to bring the chalk... etc... I can't see the guy that was let go in Michigan being prosecuted here if it had happened here... the girl in this THREAD though.. who knows... they don't show the trunk getting opened.. or much of what happened BEFORE what they did show...  seems strange to me.. I withhold judgement until further information is  released.. dude seems crazy, but the girl stuck around with him and that knife and also opened her trunk? I don't care that she took a picture of him after the fact.. all that matters to me is what lead up to the shooting! either she defended herself or she didn't.. taking pictures means nothing!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't you love the description in the article:

According to witnesses, the victim was acting strangely.

“He had an expression like he was just mad at the world,” said Jon Thomas who was in the parking lot at the time of the gunfire.

It kind of sounds like that should read " . . . the perpetrator was acting strangely." or maybe " . . . the suspected attacker was acting strangely."
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't you love the description in the article:

According to witnesses, the victim was acting strangely.

“He had an expression like he was just mad at the world,” said Jon Thomas who was in the parking lot at the time of the gunfire.

It kind of sounds like that should read " . . . the perpetrator was acting strangely." or maybe " . . . the suspected attacker was acting strangely."
View Quote

Didn't pay attention that closely to the article.. just watched the video mostly...

Seriously.. anyone wielding a knife that big in that manner is basically asking to be shot, it should probably be considered self-defense no matter what.. but you don't see in the video how it all started, how the trunk got open, when did the crazed man pull the knife.

In General I think the world is better off without that guy in it, but there still aren't a lot of details out... based on that video alone I'd probably say let her off...

you could justify driving off as they basically say that is what you were supposed to do before stand your ground or castle doctrine right? The criminal has all the rights to life and YOU are supposed to run? Plus how many of you have shot someone? If you haven't you have no idea of how you will react...

I'll sleep better knowing that guy is DEAD, and I don't go waving a knife around at a public gas station.. nor anywhere really... so I don't think the woman is a danger to society.. maybe a danger to crackheads/fools!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Was pumping gas at a station in Dallas the other night off Inwood/35

Skinny, black male, no shirt wearing shorts walks up with some sad tale about a broken fan belt in his car and he needed some cash
(I can smell the beer 5 feet away) - He was rather rude when I told him to get lost.

I am still pretty shocked about how much gas comes out of that nozzle, with just a little squeeze....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top