Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 11:19:27 AM EDT
Hello all

I have been almost totally absent from the site due to a rather expansive internship with a Federal Law Enf Agency I have had outside of Texas, but I finished it up on friday of last week and can now work on a new project.  MANY people have emailed/messaged me about putting togeather another hog hunt for a group, havent determined size nor where YET, I was thinking around 10-20.  People as far as Washington State have said if I can arrange a hunt with an outfitter for a whole weekend, all of sat an sunday they would be interested.  Now just curious if anyone had any suggestions as to places I should consider looking?  I have this whole week to mess around with it before I head back to Dallas and well, I like projects.  Anyways if anyone has a suggestion or an outfitter I should look into, please post the link  or message me it.  Several people on the last hunt told me they would rather pay more for a 2 day hunt and have a better success rate.....anyways, just saying hi and please again, suggestions!  The last hog hunt, despite the lack of hogs was alot of fun and people seem to enjoy getting togeather and going over the vast array of goodies, so I guess I thought I would see if anyone wanted to work on this with me and make another go of it!

price range, well I was browsing sites and suggestions from other outfitters, and they range from $200-$400 for a weekend.

The date I was looking at for doing this would be in the late oct through mid nov area.  A little better weather and well, it gives us plenty of time to orchestrate the events and any airfare for the out of texas members who want to go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
if its not too far from houston i would be intrested

only have fri-sun off so it would have to be on a weekend which looks like the plan
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]
possibly interested...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

only have fri-sun off so it would have to be on a weekend which looks like the plan

same here, would a 5.45x39 round be sufficient enough?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

same here, would a 5.45x39 round be sufficient enough?

Would not see why not. And if one fails, you still have 29 more, right?!

I'm also very interested. Doesn't matter when for me, this is something I'll take off work for.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Interested...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Taggage
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have about oh 15 emails and a dozen calls into different places and should have some more info by tomorrow, I have been in discussion with several and I think the best idea is to narrow it down to saw 3 or four outfitters and we can take a vote or something, make it real democratic and such...

anyways ill keep ya posted.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm definitely in! I'm clear for all of Oct/Nov except for the weekend of 10/22. Not trying to sway your decision or anything.

ETA: Hope I'll have my Multi-Cam BDU's by then.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be interested.

Aren't most places more interested in the deer hunters that time of year?  I figured it would be difficult to arrange a hog hunt around opening weekend...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'd be interested.

Aren't most places more interested in the deer hunters that time of year?  I figured it would be difficult to arrange a hog hunt around opening weekend...

HA, see I thought the same thing, however you would not believe the email replies I have gotten tonite alone from outfitters I emailed monday monring concerning a group of 10 hunters.  Anytime you can fill a lodge or a camp, dont matter what your hunting, its all business.

anyways, I will have a few things posted tomorrow concerning the new locations and pricing options which seem like good options for a group hunt.

I dont know about yall, but I love to do my own cooking when I go hunting so I was looking at places where the food was taken care of by the hunters.  hope thats not an issue.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dont know about yall, but I love to do my own cooking when I go hunting so I was looking at places where the food was taken care of by the hunters.  hope thats not an issue.

Not an issue for me; I've got a 3-burner Coleman stove.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a problem with me.  I can cook (but don't tell the wife)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Update no.1
I spoke with a Mr. John Austin of the Briscoe Ranch, and he has what could potentially be best set up for a group hog hunt, the weekend would be Oct 21-22nd.  His ranch is a little over 50,000 acers and the hunt includes our lodging meals and piggies!  All we would have to bring is the drinks if we want any.

The hunt includes two pigs per hunter and his success rates is as follows, every hunter has taken at least one pig, thus 100%  and as of the 2004 year they had a 90% success rate for hunters taking 2 pigs.  They have not had a hog hunt on the ranch since last march or early April.  He told me they do primarily deer hunts but if we brought in 10 guys the place was ours for that weekend.  They hunt hogs in a varitey of ways, hunt stalk, truck drive with rack bodies and corn roads.  They night hunt and have stands over wattering holes and wallows. Mr. Austin also said that there would be a guide for every 3 guys and a vechile for every 3 guys as well included with a guide to drive for the driven hunts.

The hunt price is $475 dollars at the Briscoe Ranch and again that includes lodging, meals, 2 hogs and cleaning.
Mr. Austin said a 200 dollar deposit was all that was needed to hold a spot. The remainder is paid aftert he hunt has taken place.

In terms of distance, from Dallas he is about 6 hours away.

I was referred to Mr. Austin from a long time hunter and rather well known hog hunter on another web site.  Accurate Reloading.  His opperation is top notch according to others.  Anyways, what do you guys think?

I got several emails and calls back, but Mr. Austin's opperation sounded the best for our situation, Im still have a few more calls im waiting on, this is the first that sounded the best thus far.

edited cuz my spelling is brutial
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Update No.2

Just got off the phone with Mr. Brewer of Stone Creek Ranch.  He also would be interested in taking on a group of 10 hunters the weekend of Oct 21-23rd.  His ranches web site is

http://stonecreekoutfitters.net/home.htm

The hunt includes our lodging, stands and a kitchen and pit/grill for prepping food.  His hunt includes the oppertunity to take 4 hogs a person, but as he said that rarely occurs.  He said that most people get between 1 or 2 hogs but that occasionly 4 do fall to one gun.  The cost of this hunt would be $200 a person and he wants $100 down to hold a spot.  He is about 5 hours outside of Dallas, Past Austin heading west.  Again, his set up sounded fairly good for a group hunt.  Check out his web site, especially the map with the stands linked and pics of them, I thought that was a great idea.  Anyways just another one I liked and thought I would mention.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Update no.3  This guy is yet another option which sounded like a possiblity, again feed back is always helpful.

"COLD I CAN DO A HUNT FOR YA ,

$200 a day 12 noon friday to 12 noon Sunday and you cook you own food. But every thing is on the ranches to cook with.my ranches are in Laredo VERY PRIVET
You will get 2 hog 1 javelina all the coyote you like and we can work out something good on cats.

We have baits for the long shooters (snipers) bow baits and ones about 70 yards.
We will do a lot of stalking mid day. And we are loaded with hog. if you like to knife them I can get really good dogs. I don't run dog on the ranches we will be stalking or stand hunting will go to one of my other ranches.

George"

I am going to call him back tomorrow as I missed his calls but got his email reply.
Anyone brave enought to try it with a knife?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a Cold Steel Laredo Bowie. Not keen on driving all the way to Laredo tho. And your killing me on the date.

I'd pick the first one out of the three so far.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Heck, out of all the times for me to be going back to school....

Maybe there will be another one around Christmas time? anyone know? Christmas ham?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#18]
#2, no doubt about it. $200 and shoot up to 4? Sounds like a plan...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1 hope that I get my Marlin .45-70 back from the gunsmyth in time for this one. Else it'll Dissy time!

wganz

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]
TAG
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I will bring my New M1A Keep me posted.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I really like #3 cause thats closest to me and the sniping bit for yotes sounds great also
but number 2 sounds good also.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Count me in!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#24]
so sounds like no.2 is the choice?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I vote for #2, but what the hell do I know

Welcome back from your super Secret assignment in one of those nasty NE states.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I vote for #2, but what the hell do I know

Welcome back from your super Secret assignment in one of those nasty NE states.  

Well im not out of the NE state yet, soon though, and it wasnt that secrete, I just cant tell ya details, names or addresses, but I got some GREAT stories and some that are so depressing they would make ya cry for humanity, seriously.

anyways I guess no.2 it is

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Im holding off on the sign up until I can confirm the outfitter still has these dates, he did a few days ago, but I just want to be sure, the sign up will be back shortly.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got a decision to make and it doesn't look good for hunting. I'll commit by Monday PM, one way or the other.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm gonna be out of town this weekend. Don't go anywhere without me!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a sucker for a pig.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I am interested if you still have a slot. I will IM
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Any update on the dates? I won't be able to do this if it's the currently scheduled weekend.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I am in, do we need a hunting licence?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, you will need to get a hunting license. They are available at BPS.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I am in, do we need a hunting licence?

The safe bet would be to get one.

But the law in Texas is if you are the landowner or landowners agent, you do not need a hunting license.(for pigs)
It is vague.......so I would go ahead and get one. Be sure to just get the small game license, not a full hunting license.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:52:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been looking for a hog hunt and some guys to go with, I'll make the time.  Tell me the place.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#37]
btt
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I am interested in this hunt keep us informed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
You know I'm down!!!

Now where is my .22 with that gold trigger at?

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You know I'm down!!!

Now where is my .22 with that gold trigger at?

Bastard. I knew you liked it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I AM IN IF YALL HAVE ROOM AND DONT MINED A COONASS
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:09:47 AM EDT
[#42]
btt
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey what's going on Jansen and Marcus.  I say you guys in here and wanted to say whatsup.  I'm building a rifle right now, but I don't think it'll be done by the hunt.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Well, with no firm date set, I've committed myself for the month of October. It would be nice if this got pushed off until November. In any event, consider me out for now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#45]
whats going on with this thing.......I'm interested...any word on which one it's gonna be.

Oh, and not to be a bum, but would anyone be able to give me a ride, I'm near the Med Center in Houston (wife and I share a car and I don't want to leave her stranded).

Thanks
Chris
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry about the delay in replies, I have been rather busy with school and trying to prep for law school, I dont think we will be able to arrange the hunt this fall, from my end, however, if someone else would like to pick up the ball on this one, I can send them the contact info on the  options and you can take it from there.  it would be alot of fun, I just am afraid I wont be able to make it happen from my end now with my schedule.  sorry guys, hopefully in the spring we can arrange something like this agin like last spring.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I would pick up the ball and run with it, if I weren't in school as well.  I know excuses are lame, but I really just don't have the time to do it.  Sorry guys.  I do think that it would be a good idea to still go, if someone else did the leg work

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top