Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/7/2006 6:31:38 AM EDT
Hello from Pennsylvania.

Going hiking in Killington in a few weeks. Looking forward to the trip, as I have not been in New England for about 4 years now. I last visited when I went hiking in Stowe VT.

I'm flying into Manchester NH and driving to Killington. As I am going to NH I guess the CCW gun has to stay at home. I have applied for a FL non-res permit but it will not be here in time for my trip.

I bought a book called "50 Hikes in Vermont" which was a great resource for my last trip. I am planning on doing several of the day-long hikes around Killington.

Any pointers as to concerns with wild animals, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I did not see any bears or mountain lions my last time in VT but you never know. I guess I'll have my Spyderco Endura (folder) and perhaps my Randall #3 (5" fixed blade) while hiking but that's it. I'll have to check into legality of carrying a fixed blade. I may also pick up some bear OC when I arrive as I do not believe they let you carry OC in checked luggage.

Thanks

Justin
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 4:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2006 4:41:10 PM EDT by CFFUTS23]
Open carry is legal in both NH & VT. As long as your handgun is unloaded in your vehicle (I'd be extra safe and lock it in a gun rug), you will be fine to carry at your destination.

I'm not sure of the knife laws in VT (you would be fine with a folder in NH), but you can check out Packin.org for all the state details on the guns and knives.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 4:36:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 5:14:50 AM EDT
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm really looking forward to the trip. I'm hoping to do the AT trail near Killington although it is a 1-nighter.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 7:45:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2006 7:47:57 AM EDT by raysheen]
non-res NH permit only costs $20 and you'll get it back in about a week so that's an option too
very simple one page application can be found and printed from here: NH Pistol Permit Application
it's good for 4 years and very much worth the $20 that it costs...best of all, you get it back fast
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 6:39:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raysheen:
non-res NH permit only costs $20 and you'll get it back in about a week so that's an option too

Yeah I wish I had known about that earlier. Oh well, at least when my FL CCW shows up (80 or so days from now) I will be able to carry in NH.
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 7:49:38 AM EDT
print it off and mail it today...maybe you'll get it back in time...you don't need any fingerprints or anything to apply...heck spend an extra $10 and send it next day air..for $30 you could be able to carry when you are there...seems worth it to me
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 7:45:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2006 7:45:45 AM EDT by Jus228]
You could still bring your pistol and carry once you hit Vermont. :)

The only creatures that I keep an eye out for are moose... They usually ignore you, but if you run across one that is pissed off, it can be an interesting experience.

I think you're fine with carrying a fixed blade knife but don't quote me on that.. I can find out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:41:05 AM EDT
Thanks to all who helped out.

I had a great time in Killington. The only downer was that I suffered a mild sprain of my left knee coming down from Pico Mountain on the first day. It wasn't severe enough to stop me from doing 1-2 hr hikes the rest of the time, but I was disappointed that I didn't get to do some of the longer 4-6 hr hikes (e.g. Okomo and Ascutney).

So here are the pics!

Essential survival gear. MMmmmREs were consumed on the trail.

Pico Mountain (where I sprained my knee)

Quechee Gorge

Deer Leap Mountain

Mt. Horrid Outlook

As for eating, I think Outback Pizza and The Garlic take the prize for my trip. Wobbly Barn was closed.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:57:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:25:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TimJ:
What kind of knife is that? Looks like a Randall.

It's a Randall #3, yep. Got it from AG Russell's last year in preparation for a survival trip that never happened.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:12:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:05:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TimJ:

Very nice! Again, great pics, thanks for sharing that. How's the knee?

Doing much better, thanks. Most of the pain was gone by Thursday's hike. It's still a little sore but I should be back to 100% before long.
Top Top