Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 3:13:44 PM EDT
A CA member is interested in purchasing a SW32K from me. He says that it has to be shipped into Cali with the trigger pack removed (shipped seperately) and that his FFL has trigger packs to make it Cali legal. Has anyone heard of an FFL doing this before?

Second, what is the situation with High Capacity magazines in CA? I have (6) 30 round ak magazines(manufactured prior to September 1994 that come with it. Is it ok for me to ship these into Cali?

Thanks for any insight you can offer
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
NOt familiar with the trigger packs, but the mags have to be disassembled before shipped, other wise the California member would be breaking the law by importing Hi cap magazines.

We can have all the replacement parts for hi cap mags that we want, we just can't assemble new ones.
Ho9pe tis helps with the mag part of your question.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd ship the mag parts separately as an FFL might not like them coming into his shop and then passing them out to a civi.

ETA I wonder if he's going to pin a mag into it or what?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
G3 clone? (or at least a quick Google search makes me think it is)

Nice.

There are two ways to make that legal in California -

1. Ship it without the pistol grip (trigger pack) or ship them separate.

2. Fix a 10rd magazine into the magazine well, and ship fully assembled.

For those magazines - ship them diassasembled, and it wouldn't hurt to have them labeled "REPLACEMENT/REPAIR PARTS ONLY" California has no laws on the manufacture of the magazines (like, "only preban mags are allowed") we're screwed much harder than that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
So if i dissasemble the magazines into its basic parts (Spring, mag body & floorplate) and ship them to the actual buyer i would be ok. It is a special weapons SW32K in 7.62x39. My ad is in the for sale forum with pics.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, YOU would not be breaking any laws and you would be perfectly ok. The buyer however would be the one responsible to make sure he does not assemble them into new mags. It's like selling gasoline. You sold the gas, you did it correctly, it's up to the buyer to make sure they don't cause any accidents/fires.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So if i dissasemble the magazines into its basic parts (Spring, mag body & floorplate) and ship them to the actual buyer i would be ok. It is a special weapons SW32K in 7.62x39. My ad is in the for sale forum with pics.

Correct
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats interesting, I wonder how the buyer is going to make that Cali-legal. Removing the pistol grip would make it difficult to fire. I'm not familiar with those type of weapons, but can you load rounds through the top like a FAL or would it break in to ala AR to load (if the mag is pinned)?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thats interesting, I wonder how the buyer is going to make that Cali-legal. Removing the pistol grip would make it difficult to fire. I'm not familiar with those type of weapons, but can you load rounds through the top like a FAL or would it break in to ala AR to load (if the mag is pinned)?

I dunno how they work either, but I would LOVE to own one with a fixed mag, regardless of how hard it would be to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys, also remember, you have two choices. With a centerfire rifle, you may have a detachable magazine but not the pistol grip. Or, a pistol grip but the magazine will need to be pinned.

Gotta love Kalifornia...

p.s. I envy that guy, it's a sweet rifle...

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A CA member is interested in purchasing a SW32K from me. He says that it has to be shipped into Cali with the trigger pack removed (shipped seperately) and that his FFL has trigger packs to make it Cali legal. Has anyone heard of an FFL doing this before?

Second, what is the situation with High Capacity magazines in CA? I have (6) 30 round ak magazines(manufactured prior to September 1994 that come with it. Is it ok for me to ship these into Cali?

Thanks for any insight you can offer

I'd be careful about this.  Regarding the magazines, if all of the parts were shipped together, that would probably constitute the sale of banned high capacity magazines (anything not in the state at the time of the cut-off cannot be grandfathered).  Playing the "parts" game is risky, because complete magazine assemblies shipped together could be construed as complete magazines - and therefore contraband.  The offering for sale in the state of banned magazines, which you are essentially doing over the internet, could run afoul of the law.  The buyer would definitely be in serious hot water.  No point in drawing unwanted attention to yourself from NYSP either.

Re:  the SW rifle, the CA law bans H&K 91s, 93s, etc.  The idea of sending in a receiver assembly sans trigger pack is an interesting one.  Since CA only allows ONE naughty feature with a detachable mag rifle, there isn't much that can be on the rifle.  No flash hider, no A3 type stock, no pistol grip, no bayonet lug, no provision for a grenade launcher, etc.  I've never seen an H&K trigger pack that didn't have a pistol grip.  I'm not at all sure that this would pass muster, and you don't want to be charged with conspiracy to violate CA laws relating to the sale of AWs.  The buyer, were he to merely possess a clip-on lower with a pistol grip off a surplus G3, for example, would be in constructive possession of an unregistered AW.  Not a good thing.

Unfortunately, our state has yet to rid itself of this law and replace it with something that makes a modicum of sense.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
So, in your opinion, is this configuration legal?

California Department of Justice says it is....
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Th M96 w/o pistol grip IS Kali legal. You could do the same to a FAL and have a detachable mag too but the problem is its too difficult to shoot with. Kali M96 owners swear that shooting without the PG is not bad though...

Back on topic though, if I were the seller I would do either of 2 things:

1)disassemble the mags and send them in 2 parts. 1 would have the bodies, the other the springs, floorplates and followers.

2) Not include the mags and offer a discounted price. If I had 10 rounders available I would send those instead.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top