Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 9:15:16 PM EDT

Evidently Harney County is being over ran with Jack Rabbits!  

Okay these are old photos obviously but evidently the rabbits are in cycle now and its not rare to shoot 2-300 a night with out making a dent!

Does that sound like fun or what?  I'd have to take out a 2nd mortgage just for 22 shells!

*ETA* another old photo but it says Nightly Round up, which would indicate a reaccuring event?

LINK

Biologists don’t understand exactly why Eastern Oregon’s Harney County is overrun with jackrabbits while there have been only a handful of rabbit sightings in the Hanford Reach. In Eastern Washington urban sprawl has created a kind of sagebrush island which has likely contributed to the decline in habitat for the jackrabbit and hence, a decline in its population. In the vast sagebrush prairies of Eastern Oregon, however, the jackrabbit population is booming — and they’re having a profound effect on the ecosystem, as well as reducing crop revenues of farmers there. FIELD GUIDE examines how the jackrabbit is part of a tightly woven food chain and how it affects the presence of other animals like coyotes, pronghorn and even golden eagles.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You just watch that show too?

That was funny :P Sooo many, just like the mormon crickets!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You just watch that show too?

That was funny :P Sooo many, just like the mormon crickets!

Did you remember the cricket investation back in the late 70s?  Yes, that show was halarious.  I so want to go shoot some rabbits [no one tell da_bunny kay?]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you think would happen after capping all those coyotes?  Jackrabbits would perform seppuku to keep their numbers down?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
yummy... hassen pfeffer.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know if I can remember the exact year in my advanced state of decay but it was like that in ~ 69/70. We used to go to Harney Co. on weekends. Would shoot up a brick each per day and there didn't seem to be any end to them.

Some thought at the time was that it was the result of poisoning the coyotes, but seeing it happen again now would seem to point to a natural cyclic event.

NMSight
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait until the coyote population rises due to larger food supply, then have another coyote hunt.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:31:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What do you think would happen after capping all those coyotes?  Jackrabbits would perform seppuku to keep their numbers down?

lol, you're turning soft on us munkalido?  Actually according to the story the coyote population is really bennifiting from the rabbit explosion so before heading south be sure to pack your AR.  

Spambo wanna go hunting?  If you drive I can scout!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#9]
My Grandpa was a Game Biologist for the Oregon Fish and Wildlife commision for years and he tells me stories of when the .GOV would pay 5 cents for a pair of ears.  My Dad and his brother (My uncle turned out to be a card carriing member of DUh) used to go shoot rabbits out of the back of a Game commision pickup all night.  Gramps would go cut ears while the kids reloaded.    Good times...    

Mark.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
patty-
"... to shoot 2-300 a night..."

Check your game regs and ORS's.  There are only a few animals you can shot at night with artifical light (headlights, flashlights, etc.) in OR without both written permission by the land owner and state ODFW.  Rabbit is NOT one of the animals.  

Go ahead and do it but now you know the risks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
patty-
"... to shoot 2-300 a night..."

Check your game regs and ORS's.  There are only a few animals you can shot at night with artifical light (headlights, flashlights, etc.) in OR without both written permission by the land owner and state ODFW.  Rabbit is NOT one of the animals.  

Go ahead and do it but now you know the risks.

Well it could be a slight exaggeration but I also believe there is a special bounty put on them since they're devistating crops.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My Grandpa was a Game Biologist for the Oregon Fish and Wildlife commision for years and he tells me stories of when the .GOV would pay 5 cents for a pair of ears.  My Dad and his brother (My uncle turned out to be a card carriing member of DUh) used to go shoot rabbits out of the back of a Game commision pickup all night.  Gramps would go cut ears while the kids reloaded.    Good times...    

Mark.

Ah, the good times.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Petagunner, I am so going rabbit hunting with you [and NurseB of course].  Sounds wicked!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Petagunner, I am so going rabbit hunting with you [and NurseB of course].  Sounds wicked!

Patty - Any chance you're going to schedule another varmint hunt?
I know Gack would be in for a second chance...  Spambo, Peta..
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty - Any chance you're going to schedule another varmint hunt?
I know Gack would be in for a second chance...  Spambo, Peta..

We'll see.  I would really enjoy it.  I'm wondering if the dogs haven't denned up early this year as I haven't been seeing any.  Two days ago coming home in my old pick up [it chugs a long topped out at about 40] I saw one on the side of the road.  Nice healthy tall yote.  It just turned around and smiled at me.  I thought about educating it with my .45 but still had about 30 miles to make it home and didn't want to waste daylight.  That was the first coyote I've seen in several weeks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Let us know when they venture out.  Little sage rat action might be fun.

DT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Patty: Spambo wanna go hunting? If you drive I can scout!

I'm addicted to hunting, so yeah I'll go.  Who's got a place for us to hunt rabbit's in Harney County?
Sounds like a target rich environment.  Too bad we couldn't have a Practical Rifle match there.  
Nothing like moving targets.

Bend writes:

Check your game regs and ORS's. There are only a few animals you can shot at night with artifical light (headlights, flashlights, etc.) in OR without both written permission by the land owner and state ODFW. Rabbit is NOT one of the animals.

No so.  This the goverment.   They make the rules.  From ODFW Hunting Regulations:

"Predatory Animals" means coyotes, rabbits, rodents and feral swine which are or may be
destructive to agricultural crops.

"Neither landowners nor agents need a permit from ODFW to spotlight predatory animals
(as defined ORS 610.002) on land they own or lawfully occupy.   ODA(Agriculture ?) has
authority to define "agent" for purposes of the predatory aniimal statute.  Written documentation
is not required.

This regulation went into effect in the last couple of years.  I love to pop one with a Nosler BT out of my Bushy!  Hmmm, that reference to "ferel swine" has got me curious..... Sounds like some of the
Portland politicians may be in trouble.  Now if we can just get them out in the country onto private land....

Spambo

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Patty: Spambo wanna go hunting? If you drive I can scout!

I'm addicted to hunting, so yeah I'll go.  Who's got a place for us to hunt rabbit's in Harney County?
Sounds like a target rich environment.  Too bad we couldn't have a Practical Rifle match there.  
Nothing like moving targets.

Bend writes:

Check your game regs and ORS's. There are only a few animals you can shot at night with artifical light (headlights, flashlights, etc.) in OR without both written permission by the land owner and state ODFW. Rabbit is NOT one of the animals.

No so.  This the goverment.   They make the rules.  From ODFW Hunting Regulations:

"Predatory Animals" means coyotes, rabbits, rodents and feral swine which are or may be
destructive to agricultural crops.

"Neither landowners nor agents need a permit from ODFW to spotlight predatory animals
(as defined ORS 610.002) on land they own or lawfully occupy.   ODA(Agriculture ?) has
authority to define "agent" for purposes of the predatory aniimal statute.  Written documentation
is not required.

This regulation went into effect in the last couple of years.  I love to pop one with a Nosler BT out of my Bushy!  Hmmm, that reference to "ferel swine" has got me curious..... Sounds like some of the
Portland politicians may be in trouble.  Now if we can just get them out in the country onto private land....

Spambo

Okay Petagunner where should we go?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#21]
might be in on this as I get an extra day to play in Feb since it's my Bday month. That and I have loaded mags.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#23]
BTW, what do they taste like?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#25]
spambo-

Thanks for the update.  Yes, I was going on info from several years ago, like 5+.  My bad.

However, if you are not the land owner nor an agent of the landowner, seems you still need landowner and ODFW permission.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Bend writes: spambo-

Thanks for the update. Yes, I was going on info from several years ago, like 5+. My bad.

However, if you are not the land owner nor an agent of the landowner, seems you still need landowner and ODFW permission.

Sorry for the govt. double speak, it came straight from the hunting regulations.  Anyway, the way
I understand it, if the land owner gives you permission, you become "an agent of the landowner".
I personally know a few people who have used a spotlight and shot lots of rabbits in the French Glen
area.  Evidently, the rabbit numbers are large and are becoming a real problem to farmers.

Leave it to the govt. to re-define a rabbit as a "predator". I guess it does make some sense since
the rabbits are predators of the alfalfa fields.

Spambo
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
might be in on this as I get an extra day to play in Feb since it's my Bday month. That and I have loaded mags.

What day is your birthday?  Two of my 3 "W's" have birthdays in February.

Petagunner, I don't mind driving around for a while blind folded while you take us to your ubber tactical, secret place but my patience has its limits.

Patty
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What day is your birthday?  Two of my 3 "W's" have birthdays in February.

Petagunner, I don't mind driving around for a while blind folded while you take us to your ubber tactical, secret place but my patience has its limits.

Patty

I was kinda close to being a leap year baby.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#30]
So is there a bounty on these jacks now?? if so i'd say we get togather and go make some money....

sounds like fun.. i'll whipe out the 22 and have a blast...

Jess
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Yup. Good fun. Once we shoot'em we fling'em i.e. our much touted "Victory Toss"

http://www.vividology.com/victory-toss.jpg
http://www.vividology.com/bunny2.jpg
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#32]
In der luft befindliche hasen  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#33]
 Hmm, This sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awww now, don't take it personal

Ya gotta admit a good old fashion bunny toss sounds fun doesn't it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#37]
We live to toss bunnies.

Shoot 'em & Fling 'em.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#38]
De-pimp zee rabbit!

I looked through the regs, but couldn't find anything so I will ask you guys:

-Is there any weapon restrictions pertaining to rabbit killing?

I've never gone after small game before except for squirrels and they specifically have a notation that you can pretty much kill 'em with what ever you've got.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#40]
That wasn't the Easter Bunny was it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top