Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 11:13:14 AM EDT
Been on vacation here for two days, have two days left. Looking for unique places to eat and fun things to do besides the normal stuff like Ripleys and crap.  How about some ideas that are only known to the locals to make this the best vacation ever?

PS my 4 year old son and wife are with me, so strip clubs are out:)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Search is your friend. Look for some posts from me here in hometown. I don't have time today to retype it out but I have gone over it a couple times. If you can't find any of my old ones I will try to repost the info tomorrow. And welcome.  I see your here now. Rod Run is this weekend go to Pigeon Forge and look at the cars as they are starting to come in.  Best italian to eat in Gburg. Go zipline at Gatlinburg Ziplines and tell them Andrew sent you and told them to knock 5 bucks off.  Umm I will think of some other stuff tonight
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks FJ, I'll hit up the search ASAP. Any other info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
AS noted, search is your friend.

I've posted a few comments about Gatlinburg, too, so look for my name  (though more about other places, probably)

Welcome to Tennessee!!!

David

www.tfaonline.org

www.tfaonline.org/forum
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Eat:  Pancake Pantry (try lunch sandwiches, they are terrific.)  The Brewery...fantastic beer, great pizza, good wings.  Parton's Deli is a hole in the rock wall in the lower end, by Hillbilly Golf.  Good, old-time, simple, steamed sandwiches that are better than they should be.

Do:  National Park (obvious, but few really do).  Aquarium.  Visit the Jim Gray Gallery and Alewine Pottery shop in the Glades Arts & Crafts area.

10-15 years ago, you could have done more of the "local" thing. but the local generations have sold out to the commercial interests in nearly every regard.  They have sold their businesses, land, ideas, and culture.  The "characters" are gone and remain only as names on signs.  The town is better developed and has more big city amenities, but those come with a price.

Was a cop in G-burg for three years before moving to another local agency.  I know every square inch of that place...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Eat:  Pancake Pantry (try lunch sandwiches, they are terrific.)  The Brewery...fantastic beer, great pizza, good wings.  Parton's Deli is a hole in the rock wall in the lower end, by Hillbilly Golf.  Good, old-time, simple, steamed sandwiches that are better than they should be.

Do:  National Park (obvious, but few really do).  Aquarium.  Visit the Jim Gray Gallery and Alewine Pottery shop in the Glades Arts & Crafts area.

10-15 years ago, you could have done more of the "local" thing. but the local generations have sold out to the commercial interests in nearly every regard.  They have sold their businesses, land, ideas, and culture.  The "characters" are gone and remain only as names on signs.  The town is better developed and has more big city amenities, but those come with a price.

Was a cop in G-burg for three years before moving to another local agency.  I know every square inch of that place...

How long ago did you transfer? And to which dept if you don't mind me asking?

And to the OP be sure to drive to Clingmans Dome at sunset to see a great view of the mountains and make sure to hike to the top. Its only .5 mile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top