Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:47:55 AM EDT
Is there anybody on the west side of Houston. I am fairly new to ar's but have assemblied 2 lowers. Well I assembled one...took the parts out and moved them to another lower I liked better with the uppers. Just got another RRA lpk from the Pasadena Gun show. Come home to assemble a lower for a another build. The problem I had was when I was tapping the trigger guard roller pin in. It seems like it was going in much harder that I thought it should. I did have a small block of wood under the lower. I tapped it out turned it over and tried again... Seems it would go in part way and stop.... I use a none marring hammer. I also have a armour's kit from
bushmaster. Well not sure what happened but the part of the lower that the roller pin goes in broker off.. ^&%^%^%^%. *(*&$. I called the dealer I got the lpk kit from and they said I F&^ED up and those roller pins are all supposed to be sqeezed to fit properly. I had never saw any where that they were supposed to be squeezed, unless I missed it. I then sqeezed it and tried to just tap the roller pin into just the trigger guard... and it would only go in part way.. and now will not come out.

I am not sure if I messed up or not... If I did then a lesson learned... but I really thing that something could be wrong with the trigger guard itself?

So I someone could respond I would appreciate it or better yet get with me somehow to assist.n I have another lower and not going to do anything for now... except start drinking.

Sorry if any of the typing is bad...

Thanks

Stan

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If you broke the boss off the lower then it is pretty much fubar'd, unless you care to operate with a marginally supported trigger guard.

It sounds like there may have been a misalignment problem.  Pics sure would help.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I just did get the pin out...  Here is what if looked like

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Was it a Stag lower?

Guess I should have said Stag lower receiver..
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Stag
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Did he try and send back to Stag?  If so do you know the outcome.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just did get the pin out...  Here is what if looked like

i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/stan4231/DSCF0746.jpg

Ouch....  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
You can still use the Magpul MIAD grip, I think it has a trigger guard built in.

As for the ears breaking, I have seem a few other brands break as well(None in person thank god). Not all LPK have good quality parts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You can still use the Magpul MIAD grip, I think it has a trigger guard built in.

Good idea.  I have not used one myself, but they do come with the guard as an integral part, and you could still use the front pin for the support.  

That is if Stag will not exchange the lower outright.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good idea.  I have not used one myself, but they do come with the guard as an integral part, and you could still use the front pin for the support.  

That is if Stag will not exchange the lower outright.  

Thanks both of you... Just looked at the Magpul web site and that will solve the problem for not a lo of funds.  Might even llok good with the Magpul PRS I got today.  I am not in a big hurry.  I am going to order a 20 inch barrel latter (not sure exatly what) next week for another Stag lefty upper I have.  I'll let you know what Stag does.  I think it was either an alignement issue with the lower or an out of spec trigger guard.  The LPK I got was a RRA????
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]
i use pliers with taped up points and squeeze the pins in ones side at a time to limit the force on the "ears" of the trigger guard.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am going to order a 20 inch barrel latter (not sure exatly what)quote]

Get a Grendel!!!!

As for the RRA parts kit(or what the real manufacture is), this is a grey area in hte AR15 community. There is no way to tell who it really comes from(Manufactured by).
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I am going to order a 20 inch barrel latter (not sure exatly what)quote]

Get a Grendel!!!!

As for the RRA parts kit(or what the real manufacture is), this is a grey area in hte AR15 community. There is no way to tell who it really comes from(Manufactured by).

I have read that about LPK gray area...  I did purchase the lpf from a good dealer.... not going to say from who. I messed up the triiger guard after I knew it was toast....  it appeared to be soft aluminum.  Finally did get the pin in with a big hammer and never got get it out again.    Going to sen back to STAG and see what happens...   As for the 20 inch barrel I am thinking on a fluted varmint type.  I will have to check out Grendel... also thinking about Kreiger.  I do have to order from someone that will install a Stag ambi barrel extension.... that is required so the lefty bolt locked up proberly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top