Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2021 11:44:14 AM EDT
My dad, brother and myself are headed out there in a couple months to see family.. dad wants to see some of Route 66 so we are driving... Will be staying in Apache Junction.. So will be looking for things to do/places to eat. We will be hitting up the Grand Canyon and checking out Tombstone.. other than that... What else do we need to try and see/do?
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
While up north seeing the Grand Canyon, add Walnut Canyon to the list.
It's far less touristy. And if you are interested in survivalism , much more educational.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What happened to he road pas Tortilla Flat?  Always liked driving to Roosevelt Dam when I was stationed at Luke.
View Quote

A landslide or washout?  I think it is still closed.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Still closed but can drive as far as the Fish Creek Hill overlook.  Worth the trip.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What happened to he road pas Tortilla Flat?  Always liked driving to Roosevelt Dam when I was stationed at Luke.
View Quote

Wildfire and flooding have severely damaged the road.

Closures listed here. The road is closed between Canyon and Apache lake
https://azdot.gov/projects/southeast-district-projects/state-route-88-apache-trail
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://azdot.gov/sites/default/files/SR88-Damage-Aerials3.jpg

Wildfire and flooding have severely damaged the road.

Closures listed here. The road is closed between Canyon and Apache lake
https://azdot.gov/projects/southeast-district-projects/state-route-88-apache-trail
View Quote

On my first visit to AZ in '97, I took a daytrip to Tortilla Flat to explore while my girlfriend went to a waterpark or something with her cousins.  Promised her I wouldn't go "up in the mountains" or anything.  Had a nice little visit, and then sure enough when I start heading back to town there was a tractor trailer or something stuck on one of the long bridges leading up to, I think, Canyon lake.  Long line of cars all stuck in a parking lot, told it would be hours.  I pulled out a roadmap and turned the rental car around.  Took the old dirt trail past Tortilla Flat all the way to Roosevelt Dam, found my way through Globe, and finally rolled into the driveway in Mesa just after dark.  No cell phones for me then so no one knew where I was and everyone was freaking out.  I will *never* forget driving what seemed like a one-lane dirt trail clinging to the side of a precipice somewhere past Tortilla Flat.  I was sure the roadway was going to collapse....

Bottom line, glad I knew how to read a map so I didn't have to sit and wait for hours for the bridge to clear, and I've got a nice (?) memory of the adventure.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
A year prior this was first trip into the ‘back country’. Stopped at both Fish Creek and Fish Creek Hill, before the overlook area was developed. Being a young man who had never ventured far beyond the DFW area I felt like reaching the top of Everest wouldn’t be much more challenging, just cooler weather and that whole O2 thing. When clambering up a hill near the creek I needed to reach down into some vegetation to steady myself. Being August I knew to look before reaching in somewhere like that I’m glad I did. Found a NAA 22 that someone else must have been carrying for what I was looking out for. Great country out there compared here where it seems you can test levels everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out Desert flame ….
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just googled that...
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Handlebars for really good grill food. Momo No Hana for legit Japanese.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are doing the GC, there are lots of other things off interstate 40.
Dinosaur Monument, Painted Desert, Meteor Crater, Walnut Creek (my wife kept asking if it was some kind of diorama).

AZ tourist spots
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you are doing the GC, there are lots of other things off interstate 40.
Dinosaur Monument, Painted Desert, Meteor Crater, Walnut Creek (my wife kept asking if it was some kind of diorama).

AZ tourist spots
View Quote

Thanks for that link.. Sedonia looks like a pretty nice place to visit. Might have to check it out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Getting ready to leave out next weekend.. Hoping the red states out yalls way arent closing everything down.. Looks to be a shit show in the blue states lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Getting ready to leave out next weekend.. Hoping the red states out yalls way arent closing everything down.. Looks to be a shit show in the blue states lol
View Quote

Wide open here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of dancers there who smoke parmesan cheese
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Drive up to Tortilla Flat for lunch on RT88
View Quote

Can't agree.  It's a straight-up tourist trap.  The food sucks, and there's really nothing there except a little kitsch.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hold your breath, and pee while driving through New Methicko.  I keed you knot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top