Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2005 2:59:01 PM EDT
The HRA will be hosting another one of their fabulous fun shoots at the Kokohead Shooting complex on Sunday 27-NOVEMBER-2005, starting at 1200pm to as long as you want to stay. We will be located in the LIFE range which is the first bay of the earthen berms on the left as you enter the complex. It is open to anyone who is a member of the HRA. If you not a member, you can sign up there.

The format will be similar to that of the last one where we will have a pile of guns to shoot.  We will also have the wood cutting competition again.  We will have NRA certificed shooting instructors to answer any questions you will have in shooting, guns, ammo, etc... Bring any legal handgun (any caliber) and/or rifle (7.62x39 or smaller) ammo, water, hat, chair, eye and ear protection.  We will have a 30 foot tent this time around as well.  This even is rain or shine, so we'll be there no matter what.  All shotting will be done from the bench unless otherwise authorised by the RSO's on site.  So if you can show competance with a holster, you can wear one and carry.  Rapid fire is allowed, but we will draw the line at bump firing.

The HRA and Lessons in Firearms Education (LIFE) want to promote a shooting community where shooters from all over Hawaii can get to know each other. This is a great opportunity to meet other like minded shooters just like yourself.  Come out and get to know your fellow shooters. We're not alone in firearms ownership.

We should again have .45GAP, HK USP, Sigs, SW's, AR's, AK's etc... available for you to just have at it.  Donations to help up off set the costs of the wood, ammo, tent, etc... is appreciated (an honor can will be available).  Also, after we all take the tent down, we'll have a cleaning session for anyone interested.  This is your opportunity to learn to field strip all the guns there.

Come out and learn something.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, this is a great opportunity to really see what your 5, 10, and 25 foot (not yard) zero is on your AR.  You may be surprised that within 40 feet (not yards) they are all in the same spot about 2.75 inches low.  I also have some sight alignment tips that may work for you to get a precision shot at these close ranges.

We will have an informal test between the 7.62x39 vs 5.56 shooting FMJ, HP, and soft nose at wood, water jugs, and wet phone books.  So if you can, bring out some water filled 2 liter bottles, wet phone books, and 4x4 lumber (de-nailed) for us to shoot at.   If you bring a phone book, use the old Hawaiian Tel one (hula girl on cover) and put one strip of duct tape around the loose leaf end.  Make sure to soak it through before bringining it out as well.

We may have some ballistic armor plates and a sheet of bullet proof glass to shoot at as well....but I make no promises on that one.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
damn, this sounds like fun.

anyone from the board going for sure?
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll try but I hear that there's a turkey shoot or something at Puuloa.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
What time do you recommend to show up for a decent parking spot?  Are tactical shotguns good to go?
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Parking should not be a problem.  The instructors from Lessons in Firearms Eduaction (LIFE) will be there in the morning doing a trainging thing, so if you show up early, just stand by.  

Shotguns are fine.  We may even be able to show you something new.  Just bring your own target (or water jugs) to shoot at so you don't piss anyone off if you shred it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I went last time, and will be going again.  Might wanna edit the first post again since it is 27 November, not October.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
AR15 ok?  
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I went last time, and will be going again.  Might wanna edit the first post again since it is 27 November, not October.

It is indeed for Sunday, the 27th of NOVEMBER at 1200.
Mahalo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Just curious for some of the guys I work with, will there be an age limit, i.e. 21 and up?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Which island is this on? I'll be in Maui that weekend...
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Which island is this on? I'll be in Maui that weekend...

Oahu.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Kokohead Shooting Complex rules state that anyone under the age of 17 must be accompanied by an adult.

Also as a reminder, anyone who shoots must be a member of the Hawaii Rifle Association.
o Life Member - $500.00
o Annual Member - $25/yr (mailed hardcopy newsletter)
o Annual Member - $20/yr (e-mail newsletter)
o Joint Spouse Membership - $30/yr (mailed hardcopy newsletter)
o Joint Spouse Membership- $25/yr (e-mail newsletter)
o Junior Member age 11 to 18) - $15/yr  (e-mail newsletter)
o Affiliate Club - $25/yr
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#15]
We got some good stuff going on.  We have a planned shotgun demo and information show case.  If you think a shotgun is the best for home defence, be prepared to be convinced otherwise.  I will also have a "wall" with 2 layers of 5/8" thick drywall on each side of a 2x4 frame and a test target to "catch" the rounds that penetrate.  We will be shooting a 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 9mm rounds through this "wall" and see what happens.  Depending on what happens, I will further the test by placing the wet phone books and or 2 L bottles in front of the "wall" to further induce some keyholeing.  I also will have a 5/8" think steel plate to shoot at (though) as well.  Hope you can all make this informative Hawaii Rifle Association Fun Shoot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately I am gonna miss the event - my wife informed me that we have to get our family protrait taken tomorrow morning and that it has also been decided that I hang the XMAS lights tomorrow as well...  At least I got to shoot on Friday.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Id bring a SAPI plate but I have no spares.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Well someone tell me how the fun shoot went - I'm really sorry I missed it...  Instead, I thoroughly enjoyed my 2.5 hours waiting at Sears for the family portrait thing to happen.    Glad we made an appointment only to get in front of the photographer 1.5 hours later.  Pics came out awful too - the infant had fallen asleep and 4 year old was ready to tap out by then...  
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Was fun, but my finger is sore and I was flinching like crazy at the end.  Need to man up my sissy fingers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well someone tell me how the fun shoot went - I'm really sorry I missed it...  Instead, I thoroughly enjoyed my 2.5 hours waiting at Sears for the family portrait thing to happen.    Glad we made an appointment only to get in front of the photographer 1.5 hours later.  Pics came out awful too - the infant had fallen asleep and 4 year old was ready to tap out by then...  

See [HERE] for the test results of our unofficial test we did...

We will not be having a shoot open to the public in December (the HRA board members and LIFE insuctors need their special range time too).  But hopefully January.  I will keep you all posted.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See [HERE] for the test results of our unofficial test we did...

We will not be having a shoot open to the public in December (the HRA board members and LIFE insuctors need their special range time too).  But hopefully January.  I will keep you all posted.

cool.  wish i coulda gone but i had to work.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe you can become a LIFE instructor?  All that is needed is to be a NRA certified pistol instructor.  We hold classes to become one on an annual basis.  Date and time is typically posted in the HRA newletter when a date and time is set.  It's a lot of fun and Lessons In Fireamrs Education, is the only non-profit organization which teaches the NRA first steps so that you can get your permit to acquire a handgun here in Hawaii.  It's run by volunteers and a lot of fun.  You get to learn a lot about all the different handguns, their particular operating system, and why they were desiged the way they were.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Maybe you can become a LIFE instructor?  All that is needed is to be a NRA certified pistol instructor.  We hold classes to become one on an annual basis.  Date and time is typically posted in the HRA newletter when a date and time is set.  It's a lot of fun and Lessons In Fireamrs Education, is the only non-profit organization which teaches the NRA first steps so that you can get your permit to acquire a handgun here in Hawaii.  It's run by volunteers and a lot of fun.  You get to learn a lot about all the different handguns, their particular operating system, and why they were desiged the way they were.

Dragonfly,

How long have you been affiliated with them? I was a LIFE instructor for a few years before moving back to the mainland in April of 2000. Curious if we've met.

I used to do the First Steps classes pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#24]
the fun shoot was the most fun i had shooting in a loooonngg time. the wood on my ak still has the burnt smell to it, and the saiga-12 is waiting for its date w/the water jugs in january. see you guys at the next one. i should have the ps90 by then if anyone wants to try it out. laters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top