Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2003 6:24:50 PM EDT
Well,here it is Saturday evening 11 Oct. My wife and I went to gunstock this morning. We stopped and paid our registration fee, $50 together for a 1 day pass.  We went to the vendors tent and looked around.  All I can say is what a waste of $50.  I have seen more activity and interesting displays at the local gunshow. And I didn't have to drive for 2 hours and it only costs us about $10.  I'm still wondering, just what did the registration money cover?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
i had alot of fun.  i was at the cavarms demo about the whole day, although i wish i would have been at the classes they had
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a lot more to Gunstock than just the vendors. Did you not see the schedule of events: shooting all sorts of weapons (including full auto, suppressed, high caliber) on the various ranges, competitions, training, door prizes, dinner, socializing, etc.?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Sorry that Gunstock didn't turn out like you expected, Itcdwb.

Energizer is correct, though, and vendors section is just a small part of Gunstock.

As far as the registration $$$ is concerned, Gunstock event is not there to make money, and IF (it's a BIG 'IF') Gunstock is lucky to make any money, it will go toward door prizes of Raffle for next year.

Hope you understand.  We try to make it better next time.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#4]
2 hours drive in TX isnt shit.

do the vendors let you go shoot all their toys for free at a gunshow?  are the people that friendly at a gunshow?

if you didnt have any fun you had the stick buried WAYYYYYYYY too deep in your ass, sorry.

if nothing else there was CONSTANTLY beer and BBQ on my tailgate, more than one person stopped by for that.  always an enjoyable conversation to be had, you name it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm still wondering, just what did the registration money cover?

Range fees...... free training classes..... scheduled competition shoots..... access to more class 3 weapons than you can shake a stick at..... a chance to meet and greet with other board members from all over the country, access to vendor's that normally do not set up at our local gunshows, and a chance to see their new stuff that specifically revolves around our weapon of choice.....  a chance to compare gear, and try out new things, ideas, and tactics from a group of the best people you would ever want to meet.

You are going to get out of this kind of thing what you put into it.  I know it was a little hard to tell what was going on all the time.... but look at it like this.  A gunshow is $8, and day range fees for a place like this are like $20 per day or more.  Camping fees are like $8-$12 at most campgrounds I know.  A BBQ dinner, $10.  I could easily see the weekend costing me well over $100 if I tried to do all this myself, and it sure wouldn't have been anything CLOSE to Gunstock!  I paid $65 for the full three days, and there is no question I got my money's worth.

And this is just going to get better with time!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]
hell yes it was fun. i didnt even shoot that much, and i enjoyed myself to the full extent of the law! the classes i watched were intresting and useful, the people were great, the vendors more than generous(i'd still like to know where the LAW rocket landed, and the class three guys were loaning out there stuff like red headed prostitutes.
GUNSTOCK ROCKED!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#7]
?
I just drove 14 hour back to Tucson and I had a great time! It was worth it just to meet evryone!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sitting here sad I didn't get a chance to go.

I would have loved to stomp through the mud just to hang out with my buds from AR15.com.

If it was 1/4 as much fun as hanging out at ETH's farm in April it would have been worth the money.

These guys are truly good people and a joy to hang with...not to mention shoot stuff with!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
?
I just drove 14 hour back to Tucson and I had a great time! It was worth it just to meet evryone!

Great to meet you, az_larry. You're such a great guy.
 Thanks for let me have a crack at your Mini-Uzi.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like this guy just went to the vendors tent and
then left? ltcdwb your the only one I have seen who
has complained about anything. Most of us were there
from Thursday through Sunday and we had a great time.
Sorry you had to drive two hours, Most people flew
and drove much longer than you and had a great time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#11]
You went to the vendors tent then left?????????????????????????
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well,here it is Saturday evening 11 Oct. My wife and I went to gunstock this morning. We stopped and paid our registration fee, $50 together for a 1 day pass.  We went to the vendors tent and looked around.  All I can say is what a waste of $50.  I have seen more activity and interesting displays at the local gunshow. And I didn't have to drive for 2 hours and it only costs us about $10.  I'm still wondering, just what did the registration money cover?

Did you get in on some of the FREE classes?  Did you actually go to the ranges and see some of the demos?  They were going to charge $50 for each of the classes, PER PERSON, but ended up giving all of the classes FOR FREE.  

Plus, it looks like you're kinda new here... There are many of us that have been around for quite a while, and we got to meet eachother face to face and share in eachother's company and comraderie.  Not something you can get at a gun show.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sounds like this guy just went to the vendors tent and
then left?

Probably had a brand new SUV and when he saw he was going to have to take into some mud, put him in a foul mood and he was determined to not enjoy any part of the day.

I'd also like to point out the great prices the vendor tent had. You are not going to get a complete DPMS lower with A2 stock for under $200 at any gun show, anywhere. So obviously he did not pay much attention to even that.

I too was offering free food and drink to anyone who stopped by my truck for conversation. And I lent out my NFA toys - can't get that at any gun show, or range.

Do want to thank him for leaving early, and alowing his door prize ticket to be re-drawn!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm pissed now that I couldn't go. Looks like there was a lot of really cool stuff and a lot of fun to be had. When's the next get together?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I sure as Hell wish I could have wasted 50 bucks there!!!  I hope somebody down there put 1GUNRUNNERs feet in the bonfire!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
ok, so I'm new to AR15, so what? I had to work to get someones attention to register.  I saw a list of scheduled events. No informnation as to where the events were.  And as far as people being friendly, there was only one guy that spoke to us while we waited in line for a hamburger.  By the way where is the list of winners from the raffle?  As far as drinking beer and shooting the two just don't mix, and if that was happening in the range area I'm glad I didn't make over there.  Might have been a lot of activities, but there was not enough information as to the where and how.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#17]
ITC

Ok, first, welcome to the board.

Sorry it was not what you were expecting.

Most of us here would have done it even if we couldn;t shoot.   And many didn't shoot.  They were working.

There were a few lessons learned.  We will do better next year.

Alot of this was a shooting event.  More of it was a chance for us to meet the folks that we share a passion with.  

Another big point was a chance to meet the folks who make and sell the stuff we love.  The PRESIDENT and OWNER of Armalite was one of the vendors there.  

Stick around, you'll understand.  Find some arfkommers near you, and go shoot.

Again welcome to the family.  

TXLEWIS

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#18]
The winners list for the raffle will be posted by Goatboy or Ed Sr. once they get back to NY and settled in.

Many if not most of the raffle items were won by folks not even present at the event.  

Most of the door prizes had to have multiple tickets drawn because the ticket holders were not there to claim the prize.

I was a range safety officer during the event, and I can guarantee you beyond ANY shadow of a doubt that NO ONE was consuming any form of intoxicant while the range was "hot".

In the evening, after the range was "cold" and all weapons were out of hand and secured, food and drink were in abundance.  During the evening celebrations, I did not see a single firearm and I was LOOKING for them.

Sorry you didn't have the experience you were expecting, ltcdwb.  I agree, the shooting events could have been and should have been scheduled much better.  I'm sure the ARFCOM Staff will engage the expertise of the TIGER Valley Staff to coordinate the shooting events early on for next years Gunstock.

Other safety considerations also had to be made for the usage of the various ranges.  Unfortunately, the 1000 yd KD range is within the down range beaten zone of the eight 50 yd and one 100 yd pistol/smg bays.  Since the vast majority of this years attendees seemed to prefer the short range venues, the KD range saw limited use Sat and moderate use on Sun.

Nobody talked to you? Did you try sticking your hand out and saying, "Hi. I'm ltcdwb and this is my wife.  I wonder if you could tell me where I could find someplace to shoot my......or where could I find........."?

I know you didn't ask me any questions or introduce yourself.  Sorry, but you seem to be the only person to voice such displeasure over the event.  And although it was FAR from perfect, and the rain put a damper on mobility, and there were not enough RSO's to keep every shooting bay in constant operation, it WAS far better then the picture YOU are describing.

Here is something else for you to consider.  EVERY person who worked the event was a VOLUNTEER who still PAID FULL ADMISSION to attend.  I dropped over $200 in fees, raffle tickets, and food/drink donations for everyone who wanted to eat and drink to enjoy free of charge.  You get out of it what you put into it, and I worked my ass off from Thursday at 2pm through Sunday evening, and had a GREAT time every moment I was there.

I hear misery loves company.  I'm sorry, but you won't find any company here today.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I am glad I went.

I got to meet several of the people I've been wanting to meet for the first time, as well as several others I have not seen in a while.

I got to meet EdAvilaSr!, Brasspile, Tequila Bob, Tattoo, HiramRanger, Winston Wolf, Sparsky (got to finally meet Ms. Sparsky!), Striker & Wife, Wave!, DPeacher, Sweep, and many many many others, including Bob_Mundon-- a new DFW crew member (he rode to Gunstock with me)! I also got to meet The_Beer_Slayer the previous week, but he was unable to make it to Gunstock.

I also got to hang with some of my DFW crew friends: ilikelegs, Raskwon, MaroonFeather, FALARAK, Hound & Psyren, ETH, LordTrader, Mojo, TXLewis, and many others, including Frisco and his bad-ass suppressed .22LR M16!!!

I didn't bring or shoot any guns, didn't buy anything from the vendors, although I saw some pretty neat stuff you will NOT find at the Market Hall or Big Town gun shows.

I did get to drive around in what was left of the mud... It was fun! I wish I was there the day before! This mud wasn't as bad as the Hun farm's mud on Memorial Day!

However, I only stayed the day on Saturday and left in the middle of the raffle since it was getting late, so I did not get to meet everyone or hang out with them, since they were constantly working the event and were very busy. Next time, I will try and show up EARLY and stay the entire time (overnight)!

PS: I hope whoever won the watch I donated is very happy with it.

PPS: Sparsky, thanks for cooking up that awesome BBQ chicken for lunch on Saturday!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#21]
... Heck, I gave up three days and way more than $50 to attend, and I loved every minute.

... My only regret, not having the time to participate in all events and meet everyone I'd hoped to.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#22]
hey man chill out.  it was the 1st gunstock ever.  nothing is ever perfected the first time around.  next year things will be smoother i'm sure.  besides did you have anything better to do that weekend besides be a keybored commando?

Oh yeah and Txrednec is correct. 2hour drive aint shit!  Thats like me triving to tomball and back. BTW It takes me 8, 8 1/2 hours or so to drive to ETH's  At $30 per tank of gas, i spend more getting to ETH's Farm and spending a 4 day weekend there then you probably did your entire trip. (calculated for actual trip not what you may or maynot have purchased at GUNSTOCK)
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ok, so I'm new to AR15, so what? I had to work to get someones attention to register.  I saw a list of scheduled events. No informnation as to where the events were.  And as far as people being friendly, there was only one guy that spoke to us while we waited in line for a hamburger.  By the way where is the list of winners from the raffle?  As far as drinking beer and shooting the two just don't mix, and if that was happening in the range area I'm glad I didn't make over there.  Might have been a lot of activities, but there was not enough information as to the where and how.

Most of the people here on ARFCOM would not tolerate drinking and shooting at the same time.  I am sure the range officals would have jumped on that if it were true. since you didnt make it to the actual firing line, why would you accuse people of drinking while shooting.

Shooting........THEN drinking.......not both at the same time.  

BTW did you introduce yourself to anyone, or did you just expect that everyone would know who you are?  

also, its ok to be new to AR15's and AR15.com.  we all started at post count 1 once.  well maybe except ETH but thats a different story.  you need to realize that you may have just missed some stuff, and instead of bitching, just ask.  if you needed help finding somthing at gunstock all you had to do was ask someone...surely someone would have known.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I can understand that being new and not knowing anyone can be a bit boring.  Most of us have been on the board for years and know eachother, or at least recognize each other's names.  Give it some time, jump in on some conversations, and try to make it to any local get togethers.

The scheduling was a little bit wacky.  From what I was seeing, they were trying to make announcements as to what bays each event was taking place in.  The guys at Tiger Valley had their hands full just getting it to run.  They did a great job given the circumstances.  Gunstock was the FIRST, so we learned a lot of things, and will improve greatly for the NEXT Gunstock.  

As far as the shooting and drinking... Like someone mentioned, shoot THEN drink.  The bottles didn't come out until after dark... and after the guns were put away.  I don't think you'd find a more responsible group of people in any other forum.  

Stick around.  Get to know the place.  Come to the next Gunstock.  ;)

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

As others have said..we don't drink and then shoot...it's the other way around. Damn shame that I didn't go, but I can tell you that the guys on this board, once they determine you actually know your way around firearms, are about as accomodating as can be. I went to the Hun farm in April and shot just about everyone elses rifles that were there with me. People on this board tend to ask you if you'd like to shoot their weapons.....Mojo, Sparsky, Legs....I can't name them all, but a group of better people I challenge you to find...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Things I didn't like at Gunstock:

Trying to shoot my .308 while 5 feet away from a .338 w/a fucking MUZZLE BRAKE

What did I like?
    Folks giving me a hand w/ my Little Red Ammo Wagon without being asked!.  I'd turn around and someone would be humping that damn thing through the mud for me.

The paramedics coming over to make sure I was OK after I'd laid down at the 200 yard berm (I was just taking a breather but they didn't know that!).

Watching a live-fire demo of some of the most awesome Class 3 shit ever manufactured.

Red Goat driving a tractor back and forth to the KD range instead of everyone having to drag their ass to and fro.

The best BBQ dinner I have ever had.

Meeting a ton of great people...not one of whom had an ounce of 'tude...except for FALARAK, but he's like family so we don't pay it no mind.

Getting to shoot an M16 on full-auto as often as I wanted, followed by getting to shoot a Browning .30 belt-fed MG! (pure sex, baby!)

Learning how to link .30 ammo for a Browning belt-fed MG (you gotta give something back, after all.).

Getting to pull targets in the KD pit (Now I know what a bullet "crack" really sounds like).

Getting a free carbine class.

Winning a hat during the Door Prize drawing (hey, it's a cool hat!).

Sitting in a jacuzzi, watching the Cubs, drinking a beer and letting the pain-killers kick in (OK, that wasn't at Gunstock per se, it was at the hotel Sat. night, but it was still memorable).

Yah, I thought it sucked.  Good thing I only went from Sat. afternoon through Sunday.  Imagine how shitty it would have been if I'd been there the whole time?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#27]
worth every minute of a 24hr ride in a car with professor evil and sgtar15.

I barely shot at all.. i came to meet people and hang out.

Dont be afraid to walk around and just randomly talk to people.. we're all friends.

btw the drinkin didnt start till dinner, and at that time all the guns were put away...we are all responsible drunks...tho txlewis sprung a leak after a hay ride :D
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I too, was a bit bored at first. I poked around the vendor tent, and throughout the day found more and more goodies that I had to have. I walked around and checked out the ranges, found a place to shoot, and started having some fun. Found more people to chat with, including the vendors, and started figuring out how things were organized. Enjoyed working in the pit at the 1000 yd range marking the targets for the other shooters. Then I got try some precision shooting at the 200 yd targets while an AR-50 next to me is trying to blow me off the berm (cool!). Loved the full-auto demo, LAW rocket, and grass fire. Ended up staying for dinner and raffles that night (Saturday) and hated to leave for my 1.5 hour drive back.

I ended up having a great time, and next year will stay for more than one day. The weather was a bit of a damper, just had to slog through it, no biggie.

For next year, I'd suggest a lot of info at registration: a range map, schedule of events, some Howdy stickers for our shirts to put our board name on, etc. The vendors and sponsors were amazing for all the great stuff and info they provided. Thanks to them and all the hard work by the planners, organizers and volunteers!!!

MFer
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

... There will be at least one BIG ONE this Winter - Don't miss it!

Eric The(StayTunedForDetails)Hun

... Are these Hun Farm "hunts" purely Texas gigs, or are Arizonans welcome as well?

... Ya'll should consider an Arizona winter shoot we have lots of fun throwing 'em!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
... Are these Hun Farm "hunts" purely Texas gigs, or are Arizonans welcome as well?

... Ya'll should consider an Arizona winter shoot we have lots of fun throwing 'em!

You are always welcome here! You can even crash at my place when in town.

Since I have a lot of FREE TIME on my hands lately, keep me informed of the next few AZ shoots!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are always welcome here! You can even crash at my place when in town.

Since I have a lot of FREE TIME on my hands lately, keep me informed of the next few AZ shoots!

Energizer.  Are you planning to drive or fly to AZ for a shoot?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
if nothing else there was CONSTANTLY beer and BBQ on my tailgate, more than one person stopped by for that.  always an enjoyable conversation to be had, you name it.

Absolutely!

The rear tailgate of TxRdnec's pickup was an endless source of great food, drink and conversation!

It just don't get anymore 'Texas' than that!

I am disappointed, of course, that our organizational skills need to be better next time, but I will guaran-damn-tee y'all that with this group, the next Gunstock will be a piece of cake!

TexRdnec,, you and the boyz are welcome at the hun Farm anytime y'all please!

Just go to MapQuest.com and search out Crowell, Texas, and you can begin figuring out the best routes to take!

There will be at least one BIG ONE this Winter - Don't miss it!

i would just like to point out that...that is the group i run w/ back at the house....does the offer still stand?? LOL.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#34]
ltcdwb:

No disrespect intended, but if you go over to Guntalk.com, they will most likely give you credit for the 28 posts you have here.

I could not attend this year, but Juggy and I would have loved to be there. Getting to be a part of the scene is a two way street, you have to go out of your way to meet and greet...

or you can just keep on truckin'
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Energizer.  Are you planning to drive or fly to AZ for a shoot?

Depending on the job market, I will probably drive... went out to CA with my Jeep one time-- had a blast. Probably do the same this time, only I might rent a mini van so I can swing by CA and pick up my birds...
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Wimp  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wimp  

Actually that annoys me as well. I always try
and have plenty of distance between me and the next
guy when I shoot my FAL. The brake on there is loud.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Folks giving me a hand w/ my Little Red Ammo Wagon without being asked!.

Well, my son and I particularly enjoyed the use of your wagon. Thanks again, kind sir.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wimp  

Actually that annoys me as well. I always try
and have plenty of distance between me and the next
guy when I shoot my FAL. The brake on there is loud.

That's why I gave warnings to people on either side of me before I fired the AR-50....Any other brakes are just dust kickers compared to the Armalite brake!

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And as far as people being friendly, there was only one guy that spoke to us while we waited in line for a hamburger.

My brother (Marc) and I manned the hamburger line...howdy again....

volunteers prepared the food....food that was DONATED by members without the expectation to be repaid (though they were through everyone's generous donations), and they drove to town to get the stuff.   This was not a planned feeding, just something that everyone thought would be nice for new arrivals, vendors and volunteers.  

As a person that was only there for one day, I happily volunteered to help.  The volunteer staff that were there worked their asses off to make everyone happy.  Volunteers are needed for next year.  1GUNRUNNER has the list.

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely!

The rear tailgate of TxRdnec's pickup was an endless source of great food, drink and conversation!

I am disappointed, of course, that our organizational skills need to be better next time, but I will guaran-damn-tee y'all that with this group, the next Gunstock will be a piece of cake!

TexRdnec,, you and the boyz are welcome at the hun Farm anytime y'all please!

Just go to MapQuest.com and search out Crowell, Texas, and you can begin figuring out the best routes to take!

There will be at least one BIG ONE this Winter - Don't miss it!

i would just like to point out that...that is the group i run w/ back at the house....does the offer still stand?? LOL.

Absolutely!

Those boyz are near and dear to me and the rest of the folks here!

I wouldn't even think of going to the Hun Farm without asking them to consider coming as well!

YeeeeHaaawwww!

This is Texas, by gawd, and we are Texans!

Eric The(Native)Hun

well...i look forward to it then.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely!

That Place is EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TXL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top