Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2009 8:18:21 AM EDT
I'll be coming up to the River Falls/Hudson area for a week or so this July to see the in-laws.  
Are there any good gun shops, etc. in the area that are worth visiting?  
I know about River Falls Days, any other things to do and see in the area?

Thanks!

Rick_NE
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Lauer Custom Weaponry (Duracoat) is in Chippewa Falls about an hour away.  I would call ahead to get the shop hours.  That would be the most unique one.

Others will have to chime in.  Scheels in Eau Claire has a pretty good selection of firearms.  

Maybe someone who is more familiar with the Hudson area can help.

Enjoy your trip.

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 5:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Russels Sports in Star Prairie is a decent shop with a true mix of everything last time I was there. They also sell kayaks and bikes, and really are a decent small town gun shop, and are pretty knowledgable. Stay away from the Outpost outside of Hudson, if they're still in business. Overpriced, and the service needs lots of work. Born and raised in RF, so I know the area pretty well, and as to activities it really depends on your interests. Most use it as a springboard to the Twin Cities metro area. If you like caves, Crystal Cave is a small tourist attraction about 30 min away in Spring Valley WI. Fishing, well, you need to do the Kinnikinnic (Kinni) or the Rush River's for trout. Hell, if you like hiking, the Kinni is an incredible experience, and the Kinnikinnic State Park where it empties into the St Croix might be a possibility. Geocaching has got LOTS of potential in the area, as there are tons of them around everywhere you look or drive. Wed ad Thurs nights have the trap league at the local mebership Sportsman's Club if you're up for trap.

Again, it really depends on exactly what your interests are to figure out what direction to turn you towards.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!

Any other suggestions?  I'll be with my wife and 3 kids(twin 7year old boys and 11year old daughter).  I'd like to find some fun/interesting things to do with the family in the area(not in Minneapolis).  Any riverboat rides, canoe rentals or something like that?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
It's hard, because the stuff I can think of is near Mpls. Riverboats are running the Mississippi from there too. Fort Snelling right off of 494 would be a good experience. The Science Museum in Mpls is worth it. Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley, south side of the metro area. Smaller boat trips can be had from Stillwater on the St Croix. There are scenic train trips from Stillwater to St Croix Falls as well. There is tubing on the Apple River in Somerset. Geocaching would keep you guys occupied, as there are an absolute ton in MN and WI to look at.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Minnesota Children's Museum in St. Paul is pretty neat.  I wanted to boot the kids off the barge simulator so I could pilot it.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Spring Valley (about 35 minutes away)  has the Midwest's largest earth dam with a state park behind it with a lake but no gas engines are allowed and you have to bring your own boat or canoe as there is no place to rent.  Crystal Cave is also in town look HERE for more details.

Skydive Twin Cities found HERE is located East of Hudson in Baldwin it's a little hard to find but not impossible.  When I was little my dad would take me there every weekend and we would watch the Skydivers come down.

ETA: Another state park closer to Hudson is Willow River State park and has some cool waterfalls and you might be able rent a canoe but that's just a guess

The Outpost went out of business but there is a gun shop in Baldwin Gregerson's which also sucks...well it has a good selection but last I checked 9mm was going for 25 dollars per 50 and FFL transfer fees were 50 yes 50 dollars
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top