Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2008 10:09:42 PM EDT
I'm looking to protect my firearms from theft and would like to check out/buy a safe. Since I'm just starting out, I probably don't need anything more than the ~10 gun size, but would like a sturdy (non-fire resistant) safe.

Anyone have any recommendations on local stores, contacts, or have one for sale?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:53:14 AM EDT
Check out Sam's Club. Dicks also have a pretty good selections too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:51:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:03:02 AM EDT
Just a suggestion, if you live in a house(have the space) get a safe much bigger than you think you need. They never hold as many guns as you think, and you need room for growth

When they say it's a 10 gun safe, you may fit 10 if they are all plain jane rifles with nothing on them. An AR takes up 2 spots for example.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:11:33 AM EDT
Dick's and Gander Mountain have a decent selection. Around Christmas, I've seen Super Walmart have a few too.

Also try Home Depot, i've seen them there too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:01:48 AM EDT
Depending on your budget and your desire to purchase locally, I'd suggest Dick's for a cheap ($600-1000) entry level safe (Sentry, etc...), Gander Mountain for a low to mid level safe (Liberty, $1k-5k), and Piners for something on the higher end ($2.5k & way, way up).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:36:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 8:38:46 PM EDT by DeltaUpsilon]
Thanks Neil, and everyone else for the suggestions.
I made some rounds and Dick's had a decent Sentry for <$400, but I think I may go with this one, a Stack-On 10-gun safe:

On sale at Sport's Authority for $319 w/ 15% sale ($271), and have a $50 gift card, so $221+tax. Since GG, the BATFE, and Bushido Tactical are taking all my money (willingly), I figure I can go slightly cheap on this first safe just to get the guns some protection while I work on filling up the safe...

I only have 4 long guns and 3 pistols so it will have some room leftover...
Any experience with this safe? It is definitely on the inexpensive/cheap side of safes, but better than nothing and not made out of sheet metal with a key lock...

Any words to the wise? Dehumidifying device? Maybe a self-adhesive LED light for the interior?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:08:13 PM EDT
Hide it in a closet, bolt it down good to the walls and floor. A safe that size can be removed with minimal effort by one guy and a hand truck or two guys working in tandem. Still beats no safe by a long margin, though, and it's better then one of those steel security cabinets.
Top Top