Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 5:57:24 PM EDT
I live about 2 hours from Grayson Highlands State Park (North Carolina Piedmont) and would like to do some day hiking and hopefully my daughter could see some wild ponies.  I know when I get there I will probably stop by the visitor center, but has anyone been there before that could offer some insight on which trail, how long (was hoping under 2 miles) thats not too strenuous?  Nice view of the mountains and wildlife is really what I'm looking for.  

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't remember the specific trails (it's been over 10 years since I've been there), but there are wild ponies in the park that you absolutely can't miss, especially with a daughter!

eta - former piedmont tarheel myself
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Hike up to the summit of Mt. Rogers.  The Appalachian trail intersection of Rt. 600 is a good day hike.  

My favorite area of VA.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
but has anyone been there before that could offer some insight on which trail, how long (was hoping under 2 miles) thats not too strenuous?

There is a trail along the ridgeline just above the visitors center, the Twin Pinnacles Trail (1.75 miles). Easy going, beautiful view, and a lot cooler even during mid-August.

My wife and I did it with our kids when they were 7 and 10 years old.

It's a beautiful park, we even saw the deer running through a family softball game.

Grayson Highlands Park Map

Enjoy!!!!

Zip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top