Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 4:57:24 PM EST
I live about 2 hours from Grayson Highlands State Park (North Carolina Piedmont) and would like to do some day hiking and hopefully my daughter could see some wild ponies. I know when I get there I will probably stop by the visitor center, but has anyone been there before that could offer some insight on which trail, how long (was hoping under 2 miles) thats not too strenuous? Nice view of the mountains and wildlife is really what I'm looking for.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:23:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/5/2008 5:23:57 PM EST by pevrs114]
I can't remember the specific trails (it's been over 10 years since I've been there), but there are wild ponies in the park that you absolutely can't miss, especially with a daughter!

eta - former piedmont tarheel myself
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:32:25 PM EST
Hike up to the summit of Mt. Rogers. The Appalachian trail intersection of Rt. 600 is a good day hike.

My favorite area of VA.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:26:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By Eli822:
but has anyone been there before that could offer some insight on which trail, how long (was hoping under 2 miles) thats not too strenuous?

There is a trail along the ridgeline just above the visitors center, the Twin Pinnacles Trail (1.75 miles). Easy going, beautiful view, and a lot cooler even during mid-August.

My wife and I did it with our kids when they were 7 and 10 years old.

It's a beautiful park, we even saw the deer running through a family softball game.

Grayson Highlands Park Map

Enjoy!!!!

Zip
Top Top