Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 3:29:04 AM EDT
Good friend of mine called me yesterday, wants me to come to Ft Knox to work for him. With a raise of course. Position will move to Ft Benning as a result of BRAC. I'm really torn. Didnt sleep at all last night thinking about it.

Surprisingly the wife said "let's go". When we bought our current place, I told her it was my "death house". Meaning that I would live there till I died. Also, since retiring from the Army, I have collected a LOT of crap. Jeeps, Camaros, tools (big tools), reloading stuff, guns and parts, etc. I would have to get rid of a lot of it.

I'm becoming more dissatisified with my job here every day. The BS that I have to put up with and fight against is really wearing me down. I could probably stick it out the additional 6 years to draw a retirement from civil service but..........I really like those parts of the country too. As Dan is fond of mentioning, I was born and raised in KY (far eastern part of the state). I do like hills and trees, something that is really lacking here.

I just dont know that I'd care to pack up and move a couple of more times. The whole selling our place here, looking for a new place there, hoping its not too expensive, etc. I'm currently waiting on a few answers from my Buddy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had some very lucrative job offers to leave this state in the last 5 years or so. It's hard for me to leave home and family.
Chuck, you spent enough time wandering the world and Kentucky is home.
All I can tell you is Old Bud lived to be 106 and wouldn't leave his home area for nothing in the last 10 years of his life.
We even offered to take him to Tunica with us so he could play slots, etc but he wasn't leaving  his home place for anything.
A buddy buried his great uncle a few years ago that was 88. He'd only spent two nights off the farm he was born on his entire life.
It looked like he had a heart attack while he was splitting wood.
There is a lot to be said about living on or near your home grounds when you age.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I just heard back from him. They will pay to PCS (move) me there. It seems that they dont plan on moving to GA until the middle of 2011. Theres a good possibility that I could stay there instead of moving too. He also told me that he should be moving up another grade within a year, and that I would be a shoe in for his position. That means that I could be a GS-14 within the next year or two, IF I moved. Damn.

At this point, it's not so much about the money for me. I mean that more money is good but not everything  If all goes as planned, I should be retired fully within the next 7 years or so (55 years old).

I am awfully tired of moving. Also, sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you dont(or something like that).

I've got some serious thinking to do.

ETA- I know that I wont be able to get the house and land like I have here for the same price. So the additional salary will likely go to a higher mortgage payment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
More money is big deal nowadays.  Things ain't getting any cheaper.  Still....Home is where the heart is.  I don't know about your job, but if you are miserable there a change might not be so bad.  You said you can retire in 7 years.  There's no saying you can't come back to this area.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, I just heard back from him. They will pay to PCS (move) me there. It seems that they dont plan on moving to GA until the middle of 2011. Theres a good possibility that I could stay there instead of moving too. He also told me that he should be moving up another grade within a year, and that I would be a shoe in for his position. That means that I could be a GS-14 within the next year or two, IF I moved. Damn.

At this point, it's not so much about the money for me. I mean that more money is good but not everything  If all goes as planned, I should be retired fully within the next 7 years or so (55 years old).

I am awfully tired of moving. Also, sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you dont(or something like that).

ETA- I know that I wont be able to get the house and land like I have here for the same price. So the additional salary will likely go to a higher mortgage payment.

Chuck best I can say is, walk outside tonight at half past dark. Have a cold beer and a seat. Take a min to look around and listen and smell. If it feels like home then you have your answer already. If not then maybe a move is in order.

Dont get me wrong you will be missed. But you have to do what feels right to you and to hell with the rest of the world.

BTW thats a long drive down here to make the gun shows.

ETA I can help you unload some of that reloading gear just let me know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
You know Chuck......I've been thinking.  You don't HAVE to move all those guns.  I could baysit the really cool stuff for you, and that would give an excuse to return home now and then to check on it.  Hell I even have a spare bedroom you could you sleep in!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chuck best I can say is, walk outside tonight at half past dark. Have a cold beer and a seat. Take a min to look around and listen and smell. If it feels like home then you have your answer already. If not then maybe a move is in order.

Dont get me wrong you will be missed. But you have to do what feels right to you and to hell with the rest of the world.

BTW thats a long drive down here to make the gun shows.

ETA I can help you unload some of that reloading gear just let me know.

Somehow I just knew it.

You're right, that IS a long drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top