Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2012 8:26:30 AM EDT
My daughter will be carrying a rifle this year!  I'm more excited for her than for myself.  She'll be shooting a Rossi single shot in .243, and I'll be using my Armalite AR-10 when it rains and/or snows and a Rem 700 in 280 when its nice out.

How about you folks - what gun are you using?
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Rockin the 450 bushmaster again this year. I hope to fill my tag early, and swap it out to my yote upper, to wolf hunt.
If the ducks are flying I may throw out some decoys for a change of pace, and scenery.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Stevens 200 in .30-06. Had a minor mishap while sighting in last week, so returned to the range today to ensure everything was a-ok. Success! First year shooting my own handloads, and I know for a fact that they all cycle through the action like they ares supposed to. Not a pretty rifle, but I proved today that I shoot it well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Savage in 270
First year deer hunting. I will need all the luck i can muster.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to this year but now just got notified that they wanted to replace my spot for their family. So now i got no land to go on. Unless I can find a public land or someone has spot for me, I'm out. Would have used my Rem 700SPS .308
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Would be using a Remington 673 in .350 Remington Magnum, but no deer hunting for me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If I go, a .357 mag revolver and a 50 cal BP.

Shotgun Zone .
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Shotgun Zone .

Get an Encore pistol in a rifle caliber... problem solved while still legally hunting with a handgun. :D
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shotgun Zone .

Get an Encore pistol in a rifle caliber... problem solved while still legally hunting with a handgun. :D

Build an AR pistol even better.

Depending on what area of the land my brother and I will be hunting (Field or dense brush)  it will be either the 450 bushmaster, rossi 454 lever, or the taurus 454 raging bull.

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Mossberg 695 12ga

Anyone go to Fleet and get their free hat?
My step dad and I were the 3rd and 4th ones in, but didn't win anything from the scratch offs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck and safe hunting to everyone. I'll be using my 7.62x40 AR this year. I'm excited to see how it works.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
No gun for me I use my pickup. Already bagged two this year.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck, you guys.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mossberg 695 12ga

http://oi33.tinypic.com/zjf0xh.jpg

Anyone go to Fleet and get their free hat?
My step dad and I were the 3rd and 4th ones in, but didn't win anything from the scratch offs.

I was there at 5:30 and was probably 299th in line

I'm using a M500 with a Bushnell reddot. Currently, I'm typing this while scouting areas.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Rocking the blackout and some 125g noslers handloads.

If that dosent do the job I have the win 94 30-30 and ruger m77 .308
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Main weapon is my custom DPMS REPR in .260rem.
Also hoping to get one with my jap type 99.
Working overnight opener again tho... last year I got my paperwork done and got home just before sunrise
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Would be using a Remington 673 in .350 Remington Magnum, but no deer hunting for me.

I been looking ages for one of these.  Only found one and the receiver was very pitted.  Good luck and looking for after action reports.  I'll be hunting 3rd weekend in 100 area.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shotgun Zone .

Build an AR pistol even better.

Depending on what area of the land my brother and I will be hunting (Field or dense brush)  it will be either the 450 bushmaster, rossi 454 lever, or the taurus 454 raging bull.

I too live in the dreded shotgun zone.  Just finished my first AR pistol lower.  Now I just need to pick between the .223 upper or the .50 Beowulf.  I am hoping for a good year.

Good luck all and with Gods mercy, a safe hunt for everyone.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I heard over 200 shots before noon in area 181 (E of floodwood).  Kicked up 4, but could'nt tell what they were.  Be back out later.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I stayed in slug zone this year. Using an 870 and glock 29. I watched two smaller bucks fighting behind my stand for 15-20 minutes this morning. I couldn't get a good shot, but it was cool to watch. We've seen 3 bucks and 4 does so far.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#20]
M1A SOCOM. Didn't see a thing this morning.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Monticello area/ shot gun zone

Bucks 1 / humans 0
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quite a disappointing hunt in the Le Sueur area.

Only saw and shot a small 10 point. Plenty of roadkill though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Saw alot.  No shots. My mother shot at a buck, missed though. Try again next weekend when I'm cop'in.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#24]
My daughter got bored fairly rapidly. Hunted about 6 hours yesterday and 5 today. Not too bad for a 10 year old. Saw 1 small doe this evening, but it was a low probability shot so we passed. Our camp is still 3 for 6 with a 3 point, an 8 point and a doe. 2 of us are up here through next Sunday, and we both have tags so we will wait and see.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]
well, I shot a buck at about 600yards opening morining....tracked him for about 2 miles till we lost the trail

got back out this evening.  took a button buck at 600 and another at 625 60 seconds later!
then was trying out a deer call app on my phone. sent out a couple of horny doe calls, turned around and this nice 8 pointer was
charging right at me accross the field! he saw me drop the phone and grab my rifle so he stopped.  200yards out, head on body profile
with his head turned to my left.
I was feeling a bit randy from shooting the two 15 minutes earlier...so i took the head shot
pic doesnt do it justice, he had a HUGE body.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Saw 7 while scouting on Friday night.  Saw nothing in my stand Saturday morning.  While walking back from the stand, I was looking down at the trail while walking and when I looked up, I was in the middle of a field with 2 does 50 yards away.  We looked at each other for a few seconds then they went back to grazing before walking off.  Saturday evening, I went back to where I saw the deer Friday night and right on cue, 2 yearlings appeared then momma doe with her ADD fawn.  Damn thing kept running around, tail up, in and out of the woods.  It would charge the yearlings, stop right in its face, snort then run off into the woods before returning to do it again.  Funniest thing I've ever seen.

I was watching the fawn and nearly missing seeing this young buck.  Took him at 100 yards, slug entered just above the breastbone and exiting behind the right shoulder.  He dropped after 30 yards right next to my barn  While dressing him out, the remaining deer stood about 200 yards away watching me while grazing

Edit: I've got 5 lbs. of hickory flavored jerky cooking right now

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Got a nice size doe Saturday evening.
165#. Popped out 50yds right if front of me while I was watching the the field to my right. Just stood there staring at me and gave me a perfect broadside shot. Ran about 30yds and dropped. Nice way to get your first deer ever.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
well, I shot a buck at about 600yards opening morining....tracked him for about 2 miles till we lost the trailgot back out this evening.  took a button buck at 600 and another at 625 60 seconds later!
then was trying out a deer call app on my phone. sent out a couple of horny doe calls, turned around and this nice 8 pointer was
charging right at me accross the field![
img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_shock.gif[/img] he saw me drop the phone and grab my rifle so he stopped.  200yards out, head on body profile
I was feeling a bit randy from shooting the two 15 minutes earlier...so i took the head shot[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_smartass.gif[/img]
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/headshot.jpg

Not to be a preacher, but lots of WTF in there
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
well, I shot a buck at about 600yards opening morining....tracked him for about 2 miles till we lost the trailgot back out this evening.  took a button buck at 600 and another at 625 60 seconds later!
charging right at me accross the field![
img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_shock.gif[/url] he saw me drop the phone and grab my rifle so he stopped.  200yards out, head on body profile
I was feeling a bit randy from shooting the two 15 minutes earlier...so i took the head shot
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/headshot.jpg

Not to be a preacher, but lots of WTF in there

how so?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't remember if we are only allowed to buy one license per season? reason I ask Is that I'm too lazy to read through the DNR site

Also I got asked to come on to 2 different stands this week, both are on different zones. Am I only allowed to choose one? Or can I buy a license for a zone, then get it transferred to a different zone if I don't catch anything?
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can't remember if we are only allowed to buy one license per season? reason I ask Is that I'm too lazy to read through the DNR site

Also I got asked to come on to 2 different stands this week, both are on different zones. Am I only allowed to choose one? Or can I buy a license for a zone, then get it transferred to a different zone if I don't catch anything?

how many deer you can shoot depends on the area that you are in, will be anywhere from 1-5.
unless it has changed, if you buy a license for say zone 2 area 250, you can then hunt anywhere in zone 2 on that base tag.
but have to abide by the harvest permitted in the area that you take the deer.
so if area 250 you can take 5 deer, but you goto hunt in area 249 and that area is bucks only then you can only shoot one buck.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

how many deer you can shoot depends on the area that you are in, will be anywhere from 1-5.
unless it has changed, if you buy a license for say zone 2 area 250, you can then hunt anywhere in zone 2 on that base tag.
but have to abide by the harvest permitted in the area that you take the deer.
so if area 250 you can take 5 deer, but you goto hunt in area 249 and that area is bucks only then you can only shoot one buck.

My understanding is that you can only take one buck throughout the state with your license. The rest have to be does.

Cliff notes......

Lottery- 1 deer limit- Regular license good for buck only unless applied and successful in lottery. The license becomes buck or doe just in that specific area applied for.

Hunters Choice- 1 deer limit- Buck or doe with license. .

Management- 2 deer- Buck or doe with regular license, Then bonus tag may be purchased to take an additional doe.

Intensive- 5 deer limit- Buck or doe with regular license, Then bonus tags may be purchased to take up to four more does.

No limit antlerless- No limit- does only
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Electronic calls for big game would be illegal.  Predator hunting and Early Snow goose would be about all you can kill in this state with E-calls unless you were somewhere else.  

Just a personal belief, but If I wounded a buck that left a trackable blood trail for 2 miles, I would consider that tag filled.  I take it your an excellent shooter but it is kinda asking for it when you take 600 yard shots.  I'll climb down for my soapbox and prepare to be called Fudd.   Flame away
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought I remembered e-calls were illegal for deer at one point, but reading through the regs again it appears that they are legal or nothing prohibiting them for deer.
The only thing questionable would be the use of a cell phone to take deer. Would they refer that to using deer calls from a cell phone or using cell phone to call your buddys and cordinate an ambush of a deer you see?
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Electronic calls for big game would be illegal.  Predator hunting and Early Snow goose would be about all you can kill in this state with E-calls unless you were somewhere else.  

Just a personal belief, but If I wounded a buck that left a trackable blood trail for 2 miles, I would consider that tag filled.  I take it your an excellent shooter but it is kinda asking for it when you take 600 yard shots.  I'll climb down for my soapbox and prepare to be called Fudd.   Flame away

yes, I am a good shot, I live on my hunting land and shoot out to 700 (on stationary and moving targets) all year long. my stand is situated to take advantage of my range and ability.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1369286_The_OFFICIAL_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG_Challenge.html
same rifle and load
this is the first time in at least 8 years that I have lost a deer.  anyone who says that they have NEVER lost a deer are either a liar or haven't been hunting long.
most of the deer i take every year are between 450-700yards. (we party hunt and I average 5 deer per season)
I don't take questionable shots on deer, and if the wind is over 15MPH I goto a short range stand or wont even try a long range shot.
yea, i'm pissed that I lost one, but did everything possible to recover it. there was no blood for the first 75 yards, then drips, then it laid down for a bit (waited an hour to look for it)
after that the hole plugged up and I only found 3 drops of blood from there.  from the spot where it laid down it looks like I got it in the liver area...
happens to everyone once in a while, even at 50 yards.

no, using an electronic call is not illegal, and no, using a call app on a phone is NOT the same as taking big game with the aid of radio.
and no, your not a fudd, everyone needs to recognize their own ability limits and stay within them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I thought I remembered e-calls were illegal for deer at one point, but reading through the regs again it appears that they are legal or nothing prohibiting them for deer.
The only thing questionable would be the use of a cell phone to take deer. Would they refer that to using deer calls from a cell phone or using cell phone to call your buddys and cordinate an ambush of a deer you see?

that, you cant use wireless coms to coordinate taking big game.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#37]
PSA to follow:

That is all..
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Me and my cousin are convinced the rut might already be over. I haven't seen a new rub or scrape in two weeks. This is my fourth day of hunting and haven't even seen a single deer. Walked two miles in the woods this morning and never even kicked one up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#39]

I stand corrected
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#40]
well, at 7:35 AM Sunday this guy came through chasing a doe so fast and so close to my stand i barely found him in the scope. fired a few quick shots and he ran 300 yards before he was done. problem was, i didnt know which way he went after the trail ended. my cousin found him 75 yards south of the end of the trail, and my buddy put the final shot in him. weighed probably 180 pounds and was an 8 pointer.

have any of you seen a rack thats this rounded off, no points ? bad genetics or what ?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Bagged my first buck in MN last Friday after less than an hour in the stand. I thought it would be too warm but there was enough of a cold breeze to keep them hungry.

Dropped it with my Remington 742 Woods master and accupoint 30-06 hand loads. Hit the heart dead on and out the other side.  10 yards is all it had left.

My reason for not using the AR was simple...  I already had the 742 at the cabin and ran out of time looking where I left my 64gr power points from last year.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
well, at 7:35 AM Sunday this guy came through chasing a doe so fast and so close to my stand i barely found him in the scope. fired a few quick shots and he ran 300 yards before he was done. problem was, i didnt know which way he went after the trail ended. my cousin found him 75 yards south of the end of the trail, and my buddy put the final shot in him. weighed probably 180 pounds and was an 8 pointer.

have any of you seen a rack thats this rounded off, no points ? bad genetics or what ?

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/306749_3336150181439_2021657571_n.jpg

i'm guessing he was just ripping up the trees! never seen it that worn before tho!
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/306749_3336150181439_2021657571_n.jpg

i'm guessing he was just ripping up the trees! never seen it that worn before tho!

the area I shot him in had rubs on the trees every 50 feet in every direction- BUT- his neck was NOT very thick from the rut. I do not think the rounded antlers are from rutting, I think its a genetic issue.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the area I shot him in had rubs on the trees every 50 feet in every direction- BUT- his neck was NOT very thick from the rut. I do not think the rounded antlers are from rutting, I think its a genetic issue.

I took this guy a couple'a years ago.
My uncle took his twin from the same tree, two days prior.  
His twin was an intact 8 pointer:
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#45]
J75player - I must say when I first read your distances (600 and 625), I was incredulous.  but after seeing your setup AND your groupings, yep your one of the few who can truly reach out and touch deer at those distances because of your skill and not a hope and prayer. those were some damn good groups in that link.

I have a krieger barrel on my AR15 for OTC, nice barrels.  Obermeyer might be better, but my gun still shoots better than i can.  Plus obermeyer are more spendy, so why spend it when the krieger does a damn good job...

A friend of mine uses a 300 win mag, he shoots in once a year and has it sighted in at 100 yards, he's convinced its a flat shooting gun and can go out to 400 without much drop.....he doesn't know how to read wind either. he's in the other group, who doesn't have the skills and hardware to get out to 500-600 yards.  

I went out opening weekend and today, finally saw a flag today, first deer seen in two years.  my group saw a total of 7 today, with a spike taken.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
J75player - I must say when I first read your distances (600 and 625), I was incredulous.  but after seeing your setup AND your groupings, yep your one of the few who can truly reach out and touch deer at those distances because of your skill and not a hope and prayer. those were some damn good groups in that link.

I have a krieger barrel on my AR15 for OTC, nice barrels.  Obermeyer might be better, but my gun still shoots better than i can.  Plus obermeyer are more spendy, so why spend it when the krieger does a damn good job...

A friend of mine uses a 300 win mag, he shoots in once a year and has it sighted in at 100 yards, he's convinced its a flat shooting gun and can go out to 400 without much drop.....he doesn't know how to read wind either. he's in the other group, who doesn't have the skills and hardware to get out to 500-600 yards.  

I went out opening weekend and today, finally saw a flag today, first deer seen in two years.  my group saw a total of 7 today, with a spike taken.

did they just not have a shot or are you in a buck only area?  we took ten for the season (I took 4) and we just got done processing.

oh, and yes, LOVE my Kreiger!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#47]
ALL the people i personally know who got big bucks got them in wisconsin.... hmmmmmm....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top