Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2003 4:44:32 PM EDT

I was wanting to go somewhere tomorrow in the DFW area to shoot my new AR.  I'm not really familiar with the ranges around here because I've been spoiled by having family land around where I grew up.

Is there anywhere in DFW that allows FMJ from rifle calibers (and preferably has bays)

We were thinking of going to TigerValley, but if there is something a little closer I'd like to go there and avoid the drive because we just want to plink a bit.

Help!  Thanks

Rob
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Gibsons Outpost & Shooting Range
  Lawson Rd. Mesquite TX.
  972-222-8127

they allow fmj.

Walt
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:46:32 AM EDT
[#2]
What ever you do, do NOT go to Alpine.  What type of distance were you looking for?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Try Backwoods 15.5 miles west of 75 on hwy 380.  Great 100 yard place.  Another is Cumby Tx (300 yard) called outback sportsmans lodge or club (can't remember).

chris
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try Backwoods 15.5 miles west of 75 on hwy 380.  Great 100 yard place.  Another is Cumby Tx (300 yard) called outback sportsmans lodge or club (can't remember).

chris

Yo G, Backwoods does not allow FMJ.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What ever you do, do NOT go to Alpine.  What type of distance were you looking for?

Thanks for the info guys.  Not really looking for anything too far.  100 would be fine, 200 would be great..

Rob
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Collin County Gun Range in McKinney has a 100 yd range.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Gibsons in Mesquite has a 200yd range but you have to pay an additional $10.00 or $15.00 to use it and you have to use a scoped rifle.  I guess they got tired of fixing it after so many
shooters, who did not know what they were doing, shot the shit out of the target holder frame work.  They have 50yd and 100yd rifle also.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Robbo and I hit up Dallas Gun Club today instead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Yesir...after getting lost...showing up at one place that didn't seem like they wanted shooters to use their range....changing our minds....getting rear ended....we finally made it to DFW Gun range where THellURider proceeded to give me financial troubles by pulling out all his fancy toys including an M14 which I had talked myself out of wanting not too long ago....now the itch is back.

Thanks man!  Nice to meet you.  Hope to meet up again soon.

Robbo
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Amen brother. Thanks for letting me try out the PM9.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#11]
What's wrong with Alpine?...I go there all the time....
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The rangemasters are a bunch of dickheads that throw you attitude if A) you don't have grey hair, B) your rifle doesn't have wood stocks, and C) you don't speak with a drawl.

The ammo in their pro shop is overpriced.  Very overpriced.

You can't shoot FMJ.

You have to shoot sitting at a bench.  No prone, standing, sitting, kneeling, etc.

Their idea of "no rapid fire" is one shot every two seconds, and if you don't fit in any of the groups mentioned in the first paragraph, they will literally stand behind you waiting for you to squeeze off a shot too soon.

And before you say something to the effect of "it must be the way you look," I am a 29 year old Jr Vice President of a 60 year old marketing firm.  My typical range wear is a polo shirt and cargo pants.  No ink, no gang colors, no Metallica t-shirts.

My first experience there was when I was 22 or 23.  I had a Ruger MKII .22LR pistol.  The guy beside me kept letting loose with his 9mm in near-full-auto bursts, not hitting anything.  I was shooting my little .22 really slowly and hitting the black every time.  The rangemaster pulled me off the line and lectured me on rapid firing.  I went back up to the line and continued shooting, only to be pulled off again as soon as the guy with the 9mm started up again.  The rangemaster said I was shooting as fast as I could pull the trigger.  Now, in his defense, he was a half-blind, mostly-deaf escapee from a geriatric community, but it pisses me off just the same that these are the retards they have running the range.  The last time I was at the range, the rangemaster peered at my AR-15 and made some comment about no-one should have one of those.  I've been there twice.  Once about 6 years ago, and once about 6 months ago.  Still the same.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe you should come with me....the rangemasters shoot with me and we trade guns all the time. My freaky girlfriend gets no trouble at all from them...and I don't have a single weapon with wood. One of the last times I was out there we had an Ak,m14,ar,fal party in the fifty-yard bay...no problems.
ammo over-priced yep
Bench shooting yep.
rapid-fire...I have never experience either this scenario or the other where someone talked about your AR...usually there are at least 4 of them when I am there and one day the range master told someone to ask me questions if he had any about the ar....I don't know man...maybe you are too white....
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Maybe you should come with me....the rangemasters shoot with me and we trade guns all the time. My freaky girlfriend gets no trouble at all from them...and I don't have a single weapon with wood. One of the last times I was out there we had an Ak,m14,ar,fal party in the fifty-yard bay...no problems.
ammo over-priced yep
Bench shooting yep.
rapid-fire...I have never experience either this scenario or the other where someone talked about your AR...usually there are at least 4 of them when I am there and one day the range master told someone to ask me questions if he had any about the ar....I don't know man...maybe you are too white....

hehehehe... probably.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been to Alpine several times as well and have never been overly impressed with the service and the attitudes afforded by the rangemasters.  Unfortunately, it is the closest place to me that offers pistol, rifle and skeet ranges.  

I live off of 35 and Sycamore School Rd, if anybody knows of a better rifle range that allows FMJ and isn't too far of a drive, please let me know!  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rangemasters are a bunch of dickheads that throw you attitude if A) you don't have grey hair, B) your rifle doesn't have wood stocks, and C) you don't speak with a drawl.

The ammo in their pro shop is overpriced.  Very overpriced.

You can't shoot FMJ.

You have to shoot sitting at a bench.  No prone, standing, sitting, kneeling, etc.

Their idea of "no rapid fire" is one shot every two seconds, and if you don't fit in any of the groups mentioned in the first paragraph, they will literally stand behind you waiting for you to squeeze off a shot too soon.

And before you say something to the effect of "it must be the way you look," I am a 29 year old Jr Vice President of a 60 year old marketing firm.  My typical range wear is a polo shirt and cargo pants.  No ink, no gang colors, no Metallica t-shirts.

My first experience there was when I was 22 or 23.  I had a Ruger MKII .22LR pistol.  The guy beside me kept letting loose with his 9mm in near-full-auto bursts, not hitting anything.  I was shooting my little .22 really slowly and hitting the black every time.  The rangemaster pulled me off the line and lectured me on rapid firing.  I went back up to the line and continued shooting, only to be pulled off again as soon as the guy with the 9mm started up again.  The rangemaster said I was shooting as fast as I could pull the trigger.  Now, in his defense, he was a half-blind, mostly-deaf escapee from a geriatric community, but it pisses me off just the same that these are the retards they have running the range.  The last time I was at the range, the rangemaster peered at my AR-15 and made some comment about no-one should have one of those.  I've been there twice.  Once about 6 years ago, and once about 6 months ago.  Still the same.

I'll have to side with techbrute on this one... I still go there because its close, but I've seen just about everything he's described. I've also seen it (and worse) at Winchester (indoor) in Ft. Worth.

Range guys at Alpine are better early in the A.M. when nobody is around and they very seldom monkey with you, but on weekends its a mess (and gets a little dangerous with all the newbies).

Just last week I saw a range guy at Alpine scream at (like a father to a child) a customer for a first offense rapid fire. The customer was obviously unaware of the rule (didn't read the signs), but he was 45-50 and probably could have understood the rule without being embarrased in front of everybody by a redneck employee. The customer went and apologized to the employee as he left for not knowing the rule, but if I was him it'd be my last visit (and there wouldn't have been an apology :').

That said; I'd still go to Alpine before Winchester's...

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]
On the contrary, I've found the guys at Winchesters to be quite friendly and helpful.  
Rusty, what kind of problems did you have with the guys there?

Alpine sucks, and there definitely seems to be a trend of everybody having bad experiences there.

For all of you FW shooters, where else is there that we can go that isn't too far of a drive???
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Winchester, now known as Elm Fork, SUCKS.

Have you been there lately? now you have to shoot through a pipe on the 100 yard range.

They  also don't allow "assault weapons" or "military style weapons", 1of the 2 I can't remember.

This is not to mention that the place is owned by Scott Robertson, Asshole #1.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
On the contrary, I've found the guys at Winchesters to be quite friendly and helpful.  
Rusty, what kind of problems did you have with the guys there?

I used to be a frequent visitor there and enjoyed the indoor facilities, but on one visit they were insistent, to the point of aggravating me, that I conceal the butt end of my carry pistol when I didn't have it drawn. They interrupted my shooting twice to ask if I was an LEO and asked that I put my carry gun in the range bag when I left instead of holstering it...

Now when it was cocked and in my hand it was no problem. They were just being pinheads and it cost them a customer and some bad PR...
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:22:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the Winchester that I was refering to in my earlier post might be a different range.

I was thinking of Winchester Shooting gallery off of 820 and Lancaster Ave.  

Anyhow, where do you all go to shoot your AR's now?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think the Winchester that I was refering to in my earlier post might be a different range.

I was thinking of Winchester Shooting gallery off of 820 and Lancaster Ave.  

That's the one I'm talking about jt, but THellURider might have a different one in mind(?).

I still take my AR's to Alpine from time to time, but only 100yds sitting. I'd be interested too in knowing where everyone else goes around DFW...
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#22]

I don't have problem at Winschester Shooting Gallery in Ft Worth.

Alpine?  Went only one time, early in AM to test my suppressor.  Have no rangemaster at that time to look over me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]
What a lot of us really want to know is:

Other than Alpine, where does everyone go in the Fort Worth area???
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah I'm thinking of Elm Fork off of Loop 12 in Dallas, used to be known as Winchester.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What a lot of us really want to know is:

Other than Alpine, where does everyone go in the Fort Worth area???

"On Target" is just a bit south of Ft. Worth on 377.  I've been there to shoot pistols, but can't comment or even remember what the deal is for rifles there.  It's indoor.

I have decided, that its simply worth the drive to find somewhere good to shoot rifles, though that kind of turns it into a weekend only thing...

I think all the Ft. Worth crew need to band together and take turns shuttling ourselves out to good ranges

I'm looking forward to seeing Ralph's place on the 9th.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Robbo,

What is going on at Ralphs place?  Haven't heard of this place...  

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I have also been looking for a near Ft.Worth range without any luck. Quail Creek is OK, but doesn't allow FMJ rifle ammo. I have a few old milsurp rifles- Mausers, and milsurp ammo, while cheap is fmj.
There is a club with a range near Pooleville. The club is the Parker County Rifle and Pistol Club. I think I remember the dues being $40.00 for a family with no initiation fee like some other private clubs. My dad has shot a few matches out there and says the range is sort of primitive, which I like.
The gunshows usually have a representitive signing up members.
Antone know of any other clubs? Haltom City R&P is getting expensive and may be going to a ban on jmj rifle ammo. I am about to buy some sp just so I can shoot my C&R rifles. 8mm surplus is so cheap, 70 rounds on stripper clips for $4.95 that I hate to buy commercial.
Jim
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Robbo,

What is going on at Ralphs place?  Haven't heard of this place...  

Hey, sorry it took me so long to reply.  I was out of town.  

I was referring to the range in Tom Bean that the group is going to on Nov. 9th.  It's not in Ft. Worth.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=174188

Rob
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Robbo, the Collin County Gun Range in McKinney is a great place to shoot.  They have a fine 100 yard rifle range, as well as a tactical range and pistol range.  I think they have skeet too, but I don't do that so I can't be sure.  The people are nice and don't have any "range Nazis" that some of the posts have mentioned.  More often than not, the RO's will bring their toys and shoot with you(and maybe let you try them too!).  Good people, nice facility, fair prices..........what more could you want?  Hope to see you there sometime.
                      Peace,
                        Dragonfire52
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree with DragonFire. CCGR is a great place. He's right about no range natzis. Everyone wants to be safe, but nobody's going to be standing behind you watching your every move or screaming at you if you make a minor mistake.

Only bad thing is that they have rather limited hours due to the local noise police.

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys.  I've been wanting to try CCGR for awhile.  I'll have to get there soon.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#32]
i like gibsons. they're ar friendly.. helpful.. allow prone and standing and 3 shot and under bursts are allowed. out of respect i always check first to make sure that the whoever is working is cool with it. they will also let you bring your own targets as long as they are smaller than their stands. even tho they are in mesquite i can get there in 25minutes from richardson.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I have similar problem out at Alpine. I have been thinking about driving out to Tac-Pro but I havent made the time to do it yet. Has anybody been out there and is it worth the 45 min drive to get there. I am coming back into FW this next week and I am looking for somewhere to try out my new Kimber.

Josh
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#34]
so I take it CCGR allows FMJ??

Quoted:
i like gibsons. they're ar friendly.. helpful.. allow prone and standing and 3 shot and under bursts are allowed. out of respect i always check first to make sure that the whoever is working is cool with it. they will also let you bring your own targets as long as they are smaller than their stands. even tho they are in mesquite i can get there in 25minutes from richardson.

i've been looking for some places to try something other than sitting prone.. Where is Gibson's? (maybe I missed something in an earlier post)..  Do they allow FMJ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top