Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2012 4:41:52 PM EDT
Going there in a week with my wife.  This will be our first time there, and staying for a week in Key Largo.  

What are some of the must to do's?  

Restaraunt suggestions
Landmarks
Tours

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Hogfish Grill on Stock Island is a must for food.  Hemingway House and believe it or not the butter fly garden in Key West are both good.  Irish Kevins is the best bar.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The basics of the keys are if you have heard of it...you avoid it and got to the hole in the wall next door.  If you want great food - Pisces.  It is gourmet and has the largest collection of Andy Warhol prints in the world.  For great beer and blue collar company, Hog's Breath.  Good food but no BS Southern Most Point Hotel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring, or rent, bicycles. It's a great and different way to experience the place. Fort Zachary Taylor state park has a nice beach with a small reef that is fun for off shore snorkeling.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the cat out to the Dry Tortugas National Park...simply amazing!
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The drive down to Key West is great with the radio turned up really LOUD!  I also recommend trying the restaurant at the Islamorada Fish Company:

Good Eating & Music When The Sun Goes Down!

You can swim with dolphins at the Theater Of The Sea!

Life Changing Experience & Affordable!
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Hog Fish Grill on Stock Island.

O
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Blue Heaven in Key West, simply amazing food. Best yellow tail snapper i had in the Keys. OOOHH  also feed the Tarpon at Robbie's Islamorada You tube some vidoe's of people feeding the Tarpon there. I had a huge scrape on both sides of my forarm trying to wrangle one with my hands. still very fun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
When you go through Big Pine Key stop and ask where you can buy a Deer Tag...

On better thought, don't do that!  They take those little deer seriously down there.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Isn't fantasy fest in a week?
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Blue Heaven in Key West, simply amazing food. Best yellow tail snapper i had in the Keys. OOOHH  also feed the Tarpon at Robbie's Islamorada You tube some vidoe's of people feeding the Tarpon there. I had a huge scrape on both sides of my forarm trying to wrangle one with my hands. still very fun.

This.  Although I've never had anything but breakfast there, Blue Heaven is a very cool setup.  It's basically a tree-covered courtyard with a good-sized bar and plenty of shade from the big oak trees.  Great breakfast and the place really has that Key West vibe.  Breakfast gets crowded quick, so the early risers are the winners.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#11]
A great place to stay in Key West for a hotel is the Pier House. http://www.pierhouse.com

A great place to eat is Pisces http://www.pisceskeywest.com

and http://www.aandblobsterhouse.com/

Cool places to visit http://www.melfisher.org/ & http://www.keywestaquarium.com/

For time on the water http://www.furycat.com/

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
My GF and I spent a week down there this summer.
Blue Heaven is awesome. There is a guy who sells the best cracked conch across the street from sloppy Joe's (he only takes cash)
The sea turtle rescue on Marathon is a cool place to visit.
As mentioned above taking a catamaran out to the Dry Tortugas is a must.
There are so many good places to eat I cannot remember any though except Blue Heaven.
Fort Zachary state park is nice with a beach.
beware of the chickens they among iguanas are roaming everywhere. The chickens are cute except when they start crowing at 4 am!
Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
For an amazing resort stay and customer service try Cheeca in Islamorada!  It's a bit pricey but taking your spouse or significant other there will make you a Rock Star!
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got back from a week on the keys.
Take a boat out and go snorkeling .
Bahia Honda state park on the way has some nice beaches and easy swimming and shore snorkeling.
Can't get a bad meal on the Keys and the folks are friendly.
The cops use blue lights in Key West.
ENJOY!!  I will be back next year.
Almost forgot Mallory Square in Key West. The party and entertainment at dusk is fantastic and free. Lots of dancing and the SUNSET.
We were mooned by a boatload of young beauties, quite a treat!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:01:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Latitudes cafe on sunset key at sunset. The island is owned by the westin resort. Make a reservation and they have a free water taxi to the island from Mallory square area

Edit - key west is 2-3 hours from key largo driving. The only things to do in the keys are as follows eating, drinking, fishing, and diving.
Since you will be staying in key largo.

Eating and Drinking
Snooks bay side in key largo
Ballyhoos key largo
Morada Bay next to world wide sportsman islamorada
Lazy Days next to Bud n Marys islamorada
The Tiki Bar Islamorada (drinking only) order a pain in the ass with a floater

Feed the tarpon at Robbie's
Go snorkeling at John Pennakamp state park
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Snorkeling/scuba at John Pennecamp State Park!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Just in time for Freak Fest ? , beware the nob gobblers .....unless of course......
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Fantasy Fest week down here.  Good luck, be safe.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all of the replies, we leave on Friday and getting really excited.  

Any more suggestions...
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The whole point of going to the Keys is to relax, so pick and choose your excursions wisely. It's a rather long drive down to Key West from Key Largo (100 miles) and none of it's at interstate speeds. There's plenty of stuff to do in the upper Keys (N of 7-mile bridge), so kickback and don't be a stressed out tourist!  Enjoy your trip!
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#21]
The best places to eat are on the way down.  In Islamorada hit "Lazy Days".  In Cudjoe the "Square Grouper" is unsurpassed.  

As you pass Bud & Mary's Marina in Islamorada you'll be on Indian Key Fill.  As you get near Robbie's Marina look to the right and you'll see a big island,  that's home.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#22]
The Fish House in Key Largo has the best seafood in the keys.  It goes straight from the dock to your plate.  Looks like hell on the outside, but the food is truly incredible.  Try the black and blue grouper and the conch chowder.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Fish House in Key Largo has the best seafood in the keys.  It goes straight from the dock to your plate.  Looks like hell on the outside, but the food is truly incredible.  Try the black and blue grouper and the conch chowder.

I tell everyone I know to go there. They actually renovated it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The best places to eat are on the way down.  In Islamorada hit "Lazy Days".  In Cudjoe the "Square Grouper" is unsurpassed.  

As you pass Bud & Mary's Marina in Islamorada you'll be on Indian Key Fill.  As you get near Robbie's Marina look to the right and you'll see a big island,  that's home.

I never go to the Keys and miss a meal at Lazy Days.....great spot, cool people, great food, great view.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
If you are interested in swimming with dolphins you can do that at Theatre Of The Sea in Islamorada.  

Cowboy Bills in Key West has really good Mexican Food at reasonable prices as well as copias amounds of adult beverages!

Website
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I never go to the Keys and miss a meal at Lazy Days.....great spot, cool people, great food, great view.  

Please stop telling people about Lazy Days. Somethings are best kept a secret.

Eta. If you don't want to fish this is the best way to spend a day on the water in Key West

http://www.kwextremeadventures.com/
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#28]
If you are looking for a 5 Star getway check out Cheeca Lodge & Resort!  Not cheap but very memorable!

Simply Amazing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top