Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2013 7:48:56 AM EDT
Who has one? Opinions please
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO. G23 for off duty and G22 for on duty.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I'm not on duty yet. Is there a big difference between grips.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I'm not on duty yet. Is there a big difference between grips.
View Quote

G23 is about an inch shorter in grip than a G22.

G22 = G17, G23 = G19.  If you have any experience with the 9mm Glock handguns, the sizes are the same in .40 and 9mm.

FWIW, a standard 15-round capacity G19 is widely considered to be one of the best all-around handguns.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with the 23.
That said, I'd pass on a 23 myself as with 7 rd. max it's to big of a gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]
One local pd uses 23 as duty guns- this way guns for patrol and plain clothes are the same. I like the size- I carry a 19- but with safe limiting to seven in the mag maybe a 30s - 45 auto- would be a better choice?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Whats your intended purpose for the gun?

G23 (same size as 19) is the ideal all-around gun. Easy to conceal but still big enough to fill the roll of a duty gun. Takes G22 magazines so if you want to extend the grip you can do it that way. The grip size and shape is the same on both guns except the 22 is about an inch longer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Intended purpose is to have as a concealed carry when i can conceal it. And only 7 rounds? They hold 13
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#8]
23 then. Or a 27 and you can throw a 23 magazine in there with a grip sleeve and make it the same length as the compact. Gives you more options.

I'll add I always recommend 9 over 40. There isn't much a 40 can do better than 9, also you have reduced capacity, slower follow up shots do to the snappier round, and more expensive ammo.

As far as 13 round capacity, yes, it does. I don't know if that's sometimes I would want to gamble my permit on and my ability to own handguns.

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I'll just stick with my 1911.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 23 and it's my favorite HG, by far. I also have a LW 9mm conversion barrel, G19 ejector, extractor and mags. Some consider the ejector and extractor superfluous, but I install them as a reliability measure when carrying it in the 9mm configuration. A set of mepro night sights is the icing on the cake. The gun is amazingly accurate for a piece of tupperware.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The capacity vs. size was always one of the major attractions to the Glock pistols for me.  Now with the Safe Act 7 round BS I'd prefer something substantially smaller or with 7 bigger bullets... ymmv
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I was looking into the Springfield XDM 3.3 very compact .45
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#13]
S&W Shield is a very nice gun, a friend of mine just got one. Very slim, would be a great CCW
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The stupid 7 rd limit does nullify the Glock advantage, That being said I love my G27, although I'm picking up my 26 tomorrow. I may convert to 9mm, I'm either getting old, or turning into a pussy, The .40 snap is starting to hurt my wrist's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
S&W Shield is a very nice gun, a friend of mine just got one. Very slim, would be a great CCW
View Quote

I've had one for a few months.  Along with their dimensions they are excellent shooting pistols as well.  

I also previously owned a Walther PPS in 9mm; the Walther had so much muzzle flip it was almost impossible for me to shoot well.  I shoot a S&W 642 with +P loads too, so I'm no stranger to muzzle flip.

The Shield is a significantly better pistol than either the PPS or the XDS IMO.  Cheaper and easier to shoot well, which for a carry pistol is a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't agree with getting a gun that holds less rds just because the current law only permits 7+1. If its s quality gun and you like it, get it. If the law is repealed, you ever move, or go out of state for a class, you can go back to full capacity. The G23 will be very easy to carry concealed and handles nicely (at least I know the 19 does.
I also think the "if I can only carry 7 I want it to be a .45/.40 etc" is crap. There's not enough of a difference in performance between 9, .40 and .45 to have that statement make sense. When the market for ammo goes back to normal (fingers crossed) 9 will be cheaper and is the softer recoiling and faster on follow ups than the other 2. I vote G19 but you can't go wrong with the 23 or 30 either. My .02 but take it with a grain of salt, I'm no kind of expert in any sense. Kind of a shitty shooter actually.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#17]
had a 23- was a good gun, never gave me issues. I sold it - but that was just to fund other projects, not because it was particularly lacking in any regard.

It is a solid, easy to carry gun that will do what you ask of it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The stupid 7 rd limit does nullify the Glock advantage, That being said I love my G27, although I'm picking up my 26 tomorrow. I may convert to 9mm, I'm either getting old, or turning into a pussy, The .40 snap is starting to hurt my wrist's.
View Quote

Still can load 10 rounds at the range, and 15 with a G22 mag for when travels take one outside of Coumostain.

OP does not appear to be in NY.

I have both, and they are close but not identical. I have some Federal JHPs that make both guns' recoil even more pronounced than normal, much more so in the G23 than the 22.

For myself, how a gun fit my hand is the 2nd most important criteria - behind reliability.

-ml

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top