Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 4:24:55 AM EDT
Gilberts range in Rockville requires you to purchase their ammo when you shoot at their range, which is also private and requires paid membership. They say it is required by Montgomery County law? Can someone point me to what area of Montgomery County law states this? I would like to join their range but cannot afford to shoot their inflated prices on ammo. I can't shoot some of my guns because they don't carry the ammo. Oh, yeah and I had to teach the guy behind the counter what a "sabot" slug was...needless to say they didn't have any so I could not sight in my slug gun.
I believe the range is well run and Mr. Gilbert has provided a valuable resource for us in Montgomery County, but the ammo requirement is what gets me?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Only talked to people who used the range. And they said the same thing, nice range but costs to much.

For indoor ranges, I use the NRA range in N. VA. NRA members are $12 a hour(non members $15). If they arn't busy you can keep shooting for the $12 till close if you want.
As long as your ammo doesn't have steel in it, you can shoot it. They do have ammo forsale at the range, and the prices arn't bad. But I usly just bring my own.  Full auto is fine at the range. Its very clean and well ran.

You show up, they give you a test to take (saftey test), you pass that, give them your info, pay them, go shoot when you leave they give you a range card.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
What are the NRA range hours and what is the best time/day to go when it's not crowded?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What are the NRA range hours and what is the best time/day to go when it's not crowded?

The NRA Range is open to NRA Members and their guests as follows:

Monday           10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Metropolitan Pistol League, a .22 caliber pistol Bull's Eye League, starts            at 5 p.m. Open to NRA members.)
Tuesday  Open for Action Shooting Events( Call for start time.)
Wednesday 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Thursday  5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday            10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday  8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday          8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Check the link in my 1st post it has times, when classes are going on etc.

For the last year, they have been packed evey time I went. From a 10 min wait till a hour wait. Year before I would go in pay my money and shoot for four hours or till close.

I usly go around 6pm(5 to 10 min wait), not sure about ealyer in the day tho. By 8pm there is usly a 30 min wait+.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Heard the same thing at Gilbert's when I signed up for their monthly membership last year.  I soon realized that I could only afford to shoot .22LR at their ammo prices, so I went elsewhere.  Just too bad because Gilbert's location is perfect for me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I can imagine Gilbert's had to jump through a bunch of hoops with Montgomery County but their prices on everything are BS.  Even if you have to buy their ammo doesn't mean they have to rip you off about it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a nifty BS .gif  he )

Here is the online MoCo Code and Regs:  MoCo Online Code

Gilberts is also trying to run handguns on the range as "lead free," so they sell you the non-tox handgun ammo in whatever calibers their distributors can get for them, but if they don't have "lead free" in your caliber they just give you what they have.h     I've recently heard some talk of them offering lead-free rifle and shotgun rounds in the near future.

I am not a fan of some of the guys who work there, but I know the shifts and thus know when to head over. It may not be the best range ever, but it's all we got in the County (with a minimum of membership hassles), and I support the guy for even trying to get a range opened in Doug Duncan's fiefdom.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually live in MoCo too.  I have gone to Gilberts a couple of times.  Although it is a very nice range I just can't see paying $16.00 for a box of .45 ACP.  I am just going to join the Isaac Walton League and shoot there.  I can also say that if someone could manage to open a more reasonably priced range around here they could make a lot of money (or at least one with reasonable ammo prices).

-C4-
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I actually live in MoCo too.  I have gone to Gilberts a couple of times.  Although it is a very nice range I just can't see paying $16.00 for a box of .45 ACP.  I am just going to join the Isaac Walton League and shoot there.  I can also say that if someone could manage to open a more reasonably priced range around here they could make a lot of money (or at least one with reasonable ammo prices).

-C4-

I live in mongomery CO also,
no offense but gilberts folks are a bunch of RIP OFF ARTISTS that think they know more about anything than you do,,,,, (ever try to buy a gun from them?),,,,,,,,any way it does not surprise me if they  make you do it.

I was in the last stage of becoming a member of the Isaac walton league but the duty requirements were too  high for me, I work an avg of 59 hours a week and dont have time to do my volenter requirments monthly,,,,,,,,

oh well ill just keep shooting at the NRA in VA..
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as Continental goes I have been treated well there. They used to let you use reloads if they inspected them first, might have changed, don't know. Gilbert- took several classes there and from the get go-you must buy there ammo due to zoning regulations, ya da ya da. At least that's what the owner and all of the workers said. They sold me a good bottle of snake oil on that, couldn't verify it. But a fellow retired Navy Chief Petty Officer who works there for credit confirmed this. I hope my fellow chief told me a true story. Haven't been back in a few years as I have to travel the DC Beltway during rush hour to shoot and I don't want to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted:
Well I'm going to go out on a limb here,  I don't know for absolute sure, but I'm gonna call

I know Contintental in Timonium makes you buy their ammo when renting guns but you can use your ammo with your own stuff.  They claim its for insurance purposes.  I say its a way to get you to use their cheap reloaded ammo.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top