Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2010 12:56:26 AM EDT
i have been in Gatlinburg the past week and I am enjoying the hospitality...Thank you.
I have noticed a few no firearms signs in restaraunts,
Is that due to the "No carry where alcohol is served" law that used to be?
I have read that was overturned just recently, and was wondering since it is so new,
"maybe" some of the signs havnt been taken down.
I never adhere to any of these signs in restaraunts or stores if they are the establishments rules.
I know some will not frequent these places, but when the in laws are taking you out to dinner, you go.
I explained to my FIL that these are the establishments rules and not the law, and that made him feel better.
He said he was thinking he could be charged so it kept him from carrying more often.
I told him if they spotted his weapon, he is doing it wrong but could only be asked to leave and/or trespassed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:00:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I explained to my FIL that these are the establishments rules and not the law, and that made him feel better.

Actually, it IS against the law to carry where posted if memory serves me correctly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
BobCole is right...you are in violation of the law if you carry in one of these posted establishments.  It's not just the house rules...by law, if they post it, you can't.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:22:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
BobCole is right...you are in violation of the law if you carry in one of these posted establishments.  It's not just the house rules...by law, if they post it, you can't.

thank you so much for this info.
I know in Florida if posted you are OK as long as it is not the PO, Courthouse, etc.
I was told by someone who frequents Tennessee regularly the laws had changed about the alcohol venues,
but he didnt mentioned that posted signs was a definite NO GO.
I guess this is why a lot of people do not support these places if they carry.

Also there was a No Firearms sign posted at the entrance to Rainbow Falls when we went hiking.
I also thought this law was recently reversed about carrying in state parks.
I figured it was an old sign not taken down yet.
I know ignorance to the law is not a defense and I feel that I failed at my homework.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top