Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/11/2023 5:22:40 PM EDT
I've picked up a field grade from the cmp that I'd really like to put a new barrel and stock on because the accuracy is lacking. Anyone around the des moines area that you guys would recommend?
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've picked up a field grade from the cmp that I'd really like to put a new barrel and stock on because the accuracy is lacking. Anyone around the des moines area that you guys would recommend?
View Quote

If you know Jack Smith ( a bit rough around the edges, but still a good guy at heart) he might do it. Although he is retired these days.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah remember stopping in his shop when he was still in business. Didn't know if he was still game to work on em or not. I'm willing to travel some as well if I need to.
If I can't find someone local I can always send it off to Fulton armory I suppose. Just would rather work locally if I can.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You could send the rifle back to the CMP custom shop or for local work, see Controlled Chaos in Baxter.

https://www.controlledchaosarms.com/firearms/

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of accuracy are you getting and what do you hope to get?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I think my best 8 shot group is around 9 inches. I know the stock fit is horrible. The muzzle will eat a bullet too.  I've tried shimming it with mixed results. I'm not looking for an moa shooter but I'd like 4 inch groups or less at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think my best 8 shot group is around 9 inches. I know the stock fit is horrible. The muzzle will eat a bullet too.  I've tried shimming it with mixed results. I'm not looking for an moa shooter but I'd like 4 inch groups or less at 100 yards.
View Quote

4 moa is doable.  Anything much tighter than that and you're looking at a full on national match rebuild.  Off the top of my head I think Army spec was 6 moa.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot more than a few M1 Garand's and most will hold sub 2.5moa with decent ammo. Two national match rifles I've shot with 308 barrels would do under 2.5" at 200 yards prone, I shot my first 200 yard rapid "clean" 200-6x with one of them. If you sent them to Fulton, that can get you below 1.5moa with decent ammo.

That's what I'd do if I were building one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine has a ww2 reciever so I'd like to keep it in 30 06. I am a handloader so I'm confident I can get the ammo right for it. I think with a new fitted stock and a tight barrel will fix my accuracy problem. It's a mix of different parts so I'm not ruining any history.

Also gave some thought to maybe shooting a garand match someday. So according to the rules it has to be in stock condition I believe.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you know Jack Smith ( a bit rough around the edges, but still a good guy at heart) he might do it. Although he is retired these days.
View Quote

Jack would be my last choice for any type of gunsmith work. He worked on my M1a and then I had to find a real gunsmith to fix it. Try Controlled Chaos Arms Link
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

By Iowa standards it is a bit of a drive from Des Moines, but when I lived up there I had Paul Jacobsen at Jacobsen's Gun Center in Story City work on mine.  He's still in business up there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top