Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:01:57 AM EDT
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am thinking about getting out of the crappy garden state of NJ.   I was curious of Gainesville.  How is that city.  Is there good deer hunting, shooting ranges etc..  

Thanks for any and all input.  I gotta get out of here!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Gainesville is close to plenty of good deer hunting, not too far from Atlanta, or from the mountains.

It's an area right on the edge of country, city and suburbs.

BUT! It's growing fast, and housing is getting more expensive. Traffic isn't as bad as ATL, but bad for a city this size.

If you like city life, move a little closer to ATL, and if you like country life, move a little more north of Gainesville.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Appreciate the info.  Do you have any suggestions on what city North of Gainesville?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
There's Lula (really small railroad town), Clermont, (very small as well), Cleveland (a little bigger), Helen, (Tourist trap), Clarkesville (Nice place) and a couple others- and a lot of small communities in between that aren't even towns.  All of these listed towns are relatively close to I985, which hits I85, right to ATL.

Property taxes are cheaper around Clermont/Cleveland (White County) than in Gainesville/Lula (Hall county)

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank You Very Much.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#5]
May I add it's El Gainesville?  Lots of Hispanic population.  "The Poultry Capital of the World."

Home to some 10+ chicken processing plants and city streets named after the Poultry Industry founder Jesse Jewel.

I'd avoid it for next 5 years or so as the Bird Flu is hanging in the air.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh noooooooooooooooo..    How about the city Forsyth?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
May I add it's El Gainesville?  Lots of Hispanic population.  "The Poultry Capital of the World."

Home to some 10+ chicken processing plants and city streets named after the Poultry Industry founder Jesse Jewel.

I'd avoid it for next 5 years or so as the Bird Flu is hanging in the air.

We eat so much chicken, we're immunized for the bird flu.

The leading bird flu vaccine development is going on right here.

I didn't mention the hispanos, becuase I haven't been to a town in GA in the past couple years that they weren't prevailent.

Anywhere in North GA, there are chicken houses, and families raising chickens to support the industry. Just like south GA has a lot of paper mills

IMHO, the papermills stink worse than the chickens.

I'll take my stinky chickens over stinky politicians any day.!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Ya got a good point.   NJ politicians SUCK !
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info guys.  Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The chickens are making everyone sick  BarrrrrrrrrrGgggggggggggggpuke.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Forsyth is a good place, Rural within 5 minutes off the interstate,but yet has the interstate that puts you less than an hr from Atlanta and about 20 minutes from Macon. No predominate industry to fail.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Do you mean the city Forsyth or the county Forsyth?  I'm guessing since you were looking in the gaineville area you were wanting to know about the county.  Its about 30-45 minutes north of atlanta up Ga400.  It used to be a small county now but now has grown so much over the past couple of years.  Some parts of the county are still country but other parts are very grown up.  I would look towards the Dawson/Lumpkin county areas (dawsonville, dahlonega, etc.).  Maybe even into the Towns county area (Hiawassee).
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Jace
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe even into the Towns county area (Hiawassee).

That's just 'cause he's from Hiawassee

Hey Jace- I heard there is gonna be a big wiccan/witch fest up there. My in laws are pretty ticked and I'm sure the churches are too.  I'm figuring you've heard about it?!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean the city Forsyth or the county Forsyth?  I'm guessing since you were looking in the gaineville area you were wanting to know about the county.  Its about 30-45 minutes north of atlanta up Ga400.  It used to be a small county now but now has grown so much over the past couple of years.  Some parts of the county are still country but other parts are very grown up.  I would look towards the Dawson/Lumpkin county areas (dawsonville, dahlonega, etc.).  Maybe even into the Towns county area (Hiawassee).

+1 on Dawsonville, or Dahlonega. Dawsonville (Dawson County) has seen quite a bit of growth over the past 10 years, most notably in the last 5. The largest cluster of development is commercial, mostly centered around GA 400/GA Hwy 53. Residential in the area is scaling to meet the commercial. Dawsonville claim to popularity mainly includes the NASCAR crowd, as it was home to Bill Elliot and his team's shop. You can still see quite a bit of tribute to this.

Dahlonega (Lumpkin County) is about 20 minutes north, and is notably smaller.  Dahlonega is a true mountain town and was the site of the first U.S. gold rush. There is direct access to 2 WMA's if you are a hunting/fishing/outdoor enthusiast, as well as close proximity to the Appalachian Trail. Dahlonega is bordered on 2 sides by Chattahoochee National Forest. The North Georgia College campus sits the center of town, and Camp Frank D. Merrill (Mountain Phase; U.S. Army Ranger School) is a few minutes outside of town. Because of the heavy involvement of NGC with ROTC and the fact that we have part of Army Infantry School, there is normal military activity in the area, albeit mostly confined to Camp Merrill and the Rock Creek management area.

Both Dawsonville and Dahlonega are directly accessible from Gainseville via GA 60/GA 53 respectively, and are about 30 minutes west of Gainesville (depending what side of Gainesville you leave from). Either would be good to look at if coming down here. We are far enough north to stay the hell out of Atlanta and not have to deal with that "city" life, but close enough for work commute or shopping.

ETA: www.dawsonville.com // www.dahlonega.org
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Jace- I heard there is gonna be a big wiccan/witch fest up there. My in laws are pretty ticked and I'm sure the churches are too.  I'm figuring you've heard about it?!

I heard...its causing a big fuss in town.  I do know where its going to be located, maybe someone should go up there and run em out!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard...its causing a big fuss in town.  I do know where its going to be located, maybe someone should go up there and run em out!!!!

A bunch of people who basically worship Mother Earth. Yeah, that ought to be real rowdy. At this point, I would fear Wiccans much less than radical Muslims or Fundamentalist Christians.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah, because that whole freedom of religion thing is totally old-school.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#20]
look into jefferson ga. It still gives you that hometime feel but it is really accesible to anywhere you wanna go
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#21]
 You may need to consider Buford and Braselton area just north of the Mall of GA. This area is booming big time and the housing value is going up everyday. If you look on the map this area is between exit 115 all the way to exit 137 on I-85 north.

What's going on in NJ? I noticed that from the another post, police141 is looking to relocate too, after 12 years in LE in NJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top